WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Appalachiansurvivor

Tree Identification

Hey all I am looking for some help identifying this tree. It is the only group of them I have seen anywhere around here.  I have tried to find the name online and and have turned up empty. I have had one neighbor tell me it is a wild cherry and another tell me it is a red birch but when I look them up online it doesn't seem to match either of those. I am clearing my land around here a bit and am trying to find out if they are a tree that would be beneficial for a use around here or if they can just get cleared out with the rest of them.  Any help will be appreciated.

Bark

IMG_20140427_130012995.jpg

Branch

IMG_20140427_125952306.jpg

Growing pattern

IMG_20140427_125937736.jpg

Blossom

IMG_20140424_201016748.jpg

That is awesome information Swede. Thank you.  :cool:  Those are keepers for sure.

Old growth is the only thing you should clear if at all.  :nop:

I fully understand what you are saying. I am not getting crazy... :naughty:

When I moved in last year I had lots of property but a real small yard and a complete wall of green, It gives you a closed in feeling. It is mostly Black berry vines, rhododendron, and dead hemlock trees from the Woolly Adelgid . I just need some more usable space. 

The yard was like this. 

IMG_20140427_163403866.jpg

IMG_20140427_163342244.jpg

Sure App. We call it wood margin where the yard leaves off and the woods begin. We have two closed in sides and two open so we dont get that closed in feeling and a breeze once in awhile in the summer.

Wild cherry is correct. Either choke cherry ,or black cherry would be my best guess. If the fruits end up hanfging in bunches from a stem a d ha e a top somewhat like an eggpla t on them, they are black cherry. If the berries have no green topper on them, they are most likely choke cherries. Either way, they make great jam, cough syrup, etc... a d are hugh in vitamin c. Dont eat the leaves or the pits. The bzrl jas great medicinal qualities as well. Definitely a keeper.