WildSurvive Forum

How about corn on the cob again this year? Lots of sweet corn around here. If it was a hit last year we can blanch some and freeze it.

How about corn on the cob again this year? Lots of sweet corn around here. If it was a hit last year we can blanch some and freeze it.

Oh yeah! Now your talking!

sounds awesome swede when did you buy the train ticket last year

The sooner the better Kim. The trains are full out of Galesburg by the looks of the parking lot.

~  Try throwing one of those corn cobs in the Microwave in the "shucks" for three to four minutes...... now THAT's some good eating.  :thumbup:  Steamed corn on the cob... fresh. Thats how we eat it here now.

~  Try throwing one of those corn cobs in the Microwave in the "shucks" for three to four minutes...... now THAT's some good eating.  :thumbup:  Steamed corn on the cob... fresh. Thats how we eat it here now.

Oh yah we do it more then boiling them. Cut the silk end off and hold the open end under the faucet and fill the shucks full of water for best results.

ok swede I will go down this week and work it out yikes I am scared never did this befor be life begins outside your comfort zone

You may be looking at leaving Everett Wa. September 29. Im going to call the station in Washington tomorrow.

Kim all you have to do is go to the station in Everett and tell them where your going round trip. Sept. 29 is a good idea to leave Washington because of missing the train to Galesburg. Return trip leave Galesburg October 6 or later what ever you wish. They will help you at the station. There is a person there from 8 in the morning till 9 at night.

Ive managed to catch two snapping turtles and Im working on a third in our pond. Two are dressed and frozen and probably enough for turtle soup for famageddon provided by my buddy who makes it often. If I catch the brute in the pond there should be enough for fried turtle also.

Guest smallgamehunter

Turtle soup is good u really have to try hard to mess it up

Guest smallgamehunter

Nope like turtle it's got a good texture I make it when I can get the time to run turtle lines

does it taste like chicken

turtle has 4 distinct different tastes.  the pure white meat inside the shell is like tender chicken breast, absolutely delicious.  the meat around the torso or body has a very fish like flavor. the legs are reminiscent of pork but can be tough and chewy if not prepared right (dont ask me how, ive never tried to cook it).  and depending on were you got the turtle and its environment  some of the meat can be gamey like a run to death adrenaline filled venison.  i have a friend that catches turtles and puts them in a pool of water for weeks to "clean them up" as he puts it.  all i know is i love that meat under the shell. :)

Ive managed to catch two snapping turtles and Im working on a third in our pond. Two are dressed and frozen and probably enough for turtle soup for famageddon provided by my buddy who makes it often. If I catch the brute in the pond there should be enough for fried turtle also.

Sounds like a feast Swede! Turtle meat is really good!

dressed them in what jk  happy097.gif swede got my train ticket today had a hell of a time  :rant: I have to stay over in chicogo  :curse: but I will be takeing the early train to galesburg on the 2 of october I got a great deal on the tickets because I ordered early can't wait  :thumbsup: