WildSurvive Forum
gr8outdrsmn

Conditioning for who knows what, building endurance

I believe in being prepared for whatever situation may come upon me (within reason & and my capabilities). One thing that I believe is vital to being prepared is being in shape. By being in good physical condition my mind will be sharper and I will be able to handle most any physical situation far easier than if I were not fit.

Thus, I climb, kayak, mountain bike, lift, do A LOT of body weight work, run, and have recently delved into rowing on a rowing machine at the gym. I've come to find that, when I can't get outside or just don't have the time to get out, the rowing machine is really a great over-all conditioner.

I do my best to stay lean. I don't want to build bulk. Bulk hinders mobility in a lot of the activities I participate in. Additionally, it's more difficult to maintain the bulk without regular heavy exercise. I can stay lean relatively easily. Plus, I can get a great amount of endurance that would help me if I have to move over long distances or keep at whatever for any duration. I may not be able to do as much as a guy with bulk in one load, but I will FAR outlast him in the long run.

This is where the rowing is really proving itself. Rowing is a low impact, varied intensity (controlled with a dial for less or more intensity, at least on the ones at Golds Gym), endurance builder. It works a very large variety of muscles that you use everyday: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/muscles-used

I've been rowing as my only exercise quite a bit lately and have noticed a great improvement in my endurance and overall strength, without building much bulk.

The great thing is, it's doable by most anyone! My wife, who almost NEVER works out went with me today. She rowed right at 800 meters ( .5 mile), with a few breaks during the session, and on the easiest setting, but it's a great start. Eventually she'll be able to string them together and increase the intensity.

Today I hit 4,050 meters (2.5 miles) in about 29 minutes. I've gotten addicted  :hugegrin: but it's a great addiction to have!

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who likes to workout and/or wants to improve their endurance levels. Give it a shot!

i must say im no longer in great shape, but i work quite hard physically for a living. i work 10-12 hour days and lift 15-18 thousand pounds a day in 50-80 pound boxes. Ive got a gut, im probably about 20-30 pounds over ideal weight (im 6-2 and my fighting weight is around 190-210) i can outwork guys half my 43 years and i have crazy endurance for it. it might be from working hard most my life but i did rock climb for 20 years, i raced bicycles (3 time state champion) and mt biked alot.  i have lost the cardio i used to have but ive still have some kind of crazy endurance at regular levels of work. i cant run the mile and a half in less than 12 minuts anymore but i can put a 55 pound pack on and walk up a mountain all day long and never be any worse for it. i used to be a workout junkie. i had a resting heart rate of 42 beats a minute and when i was racing i was as fit as any olympic athlete.  i know it sounds like excuses but i work to many hours and have to many things going on (scouts, boys school and sport stuff and i work 10-12 hour days) so i have trouble finding time to get fit.  when i was racing i had a rowing machine, i used to switch back and forth daily on the rower and the indoor cycle trainer in the winter. the rowing is a full on all body blast. i dont know how many miles i rowed but i used to get 35-40 minuts in before i would collapse. its an awesome workout and id recommend it to anyone that truly wants to get fit. on the other hand fitness in a survival situation can have its drawbacks.  the lower your body fat and the fitter you are the more calories you need to maintain it.  and if your not replacing those calories fast enough you go downhill fast.  life is better when your fit, everyday tasks, work and even sleep are better when your fit.  i need to get my ass back at it, my bike is calling my name now thanks to you gr8.  good post.  :thumbup:

Awesome stuff! Can't beat the endurance and brute strength that hard labor give you.

Very true about having too little fat/calories. Always need a little reserve on your body for those low/no food situations.

Glad you're inspired to get out on the bike! :thumbup: have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8, awesome post brother. 

Staying in shape is something that so many of us (myself included) take for granted.  It's something I want, but I make excuses about and put off.  Way to be a motivator!  How do you keep yourself at it and get to the gym every day?

Glad you liked it Watcher! At times, I take it for granted too. Usually when life gets busy I let it go by the wayside and then it hits me like a ton of bricks when my pants start getting a little tighter  wacky078.gif

As far as motivation, it sounds stupid but it works. Don't think about, just get out there and do it. The more you give yourself time to think, the less likely you are to do it. You'll find all sorts of things you would rather/should do. One thing that helps is I always keep my workout gear in my truck. That way I can't say, Oh man I forgot my stuff. It's always there and ready for me when I get done working. Also, I look at it like this, it's only 30-60 minutes of my day. What would I be wasting my time on, the TV or computer? lol.  If you get in there and move, don't meander, the time flies by. Lastly, I found a good inspirational saying online:

if-it-is-important-to-you.jpg

And I'd just like to add, I screwed up when posting this and somehow put a :thumbdown: instead of a  :thumbup: for the thread icon LOL WHOOPS!

Good thread. Staying in condition will pay you back ten fold as the years pile up. My job demands that I stay in shape and my health has benefited from it.

I've had my Fitbit for a little over a year now.  I do like being able to see how much ground I have covered....

l9d14.jpg

Cool! I've thought about getting one, but never taken the plunge.

I like mine.  It is great knowing how far you have gone. It is also helpful to know that my normal stride gets me a mile in 2400 steps. If I would need to keep track of how far I have gone in an emergency situation, I now have a pretty good idea.