WildSurvive Forum
Muddy Pete

Ace of Space: Kool kids survival / camp bag

I'm putting a small survival kit/ camp bag together for Space Ace. Ace is seven years old. I could use some thoughts and suggestions.

So far I have:

A business card with my contact info and his mom's cellphone. I'm going to update that with medical info. 

$20.00 card for the local convenience store. Since we're in New Jersey, that would be Wawa.

Flashlight

Whistle

Bottle of water

Those little binoculars are one of my 7 year olds favorites, along with a 3 way mini lantern (It has a white light, a flashing red light and a steady red light).

He has a Coleman compass - somewhere. The binoculars and the lantern are good ideas. I found my olive drab Rothco gear pouch last night.

Basic list so far. I have to find the little first aid kit.

Crackers, flashlight, whistle, duct tape, business card with cellphone numbers on the back, $20. Wawa card, signal mirror (not shown), fire starting tool, emergency blanket.

10505491_597919286987468_5522512151038629967_n_zps33d97013.jpg

Guest smallgamehunter

Kool aid single packet to make the water flavored

Kool aid single packet to make the water flavored

I thought about that. I'm concerned about the volume of sugar causing dehydration. In this child's case, he doesn't like fruit flavored drinks and if he looks at sugar he bounces off the walls.

I thought about that. I'm concerned about the volume of sugar causing dehydration. In this child's case, he doesn't like fruit flavored drinks and if he looks at sugar he bounces off the walls.

Maybe some G2 Gatoraid packets?  Only about 45 calories and not near the sugar.

Maybe add some paracord?

Maybe some G2 Gatoraid packets?  Only about 45 calories and not near the sugar.

Maybe add some paracord?

That's a good idea! He has a fishing tackle box. I was thinking about an Altoids fishing tin.

I tested the Coghlan’s ferro rod. Little or no success with the striker. I tried a knife blade, a piece of glass and the striker off the Light my fire. That worked for a while then the rod stopped producing sparks all together. So I pitched it and dug out my old Light my fire. Now we’re happy.

10303757_599214840191246_6611702698163610016_n_zpsea11f547.jpg

Expanded kit. Wire saw, mini fishing kit, first aid kit, Light my fire, parachute cord, compass.

10441909_600005510112179_2153699791947389898_n_zps28fa0620.jpg[/url

is that a snuff box a little bigger than a miny altoids tin.  i have a couple. i just built a new fishing kit out of one when i saw this post. its flatter than my film canister and holds more. thanks for the tip muddy.    :arigato:

is that a snuff box a little bigger than a miny altoids tin.  i have a couple. i just built a new fishing kit out of one when i saw this post. its flatter than my film canister and holds more. thanks for the tip muddy.    :arigato:

It's a Snus snuff tin. Say that 5 times fast.  :P

It's a Snus snuff tin. Say that 5 times fast.  :P

mine are camel snus,  snus snuff snus snuff snus snuff snus snuff snus snuff  lol i dont use the stuff, i got them from a friend

If also add a emergency poncho and maybe at least a pair of socks, and a change of clothes. I know my kids like walking in every water puddle the can find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the trip down memory lane when my son was 3 he attached about 10 stuffed animal heads that are ment to clip on back packs and looked at me and said it was hos survival supplies and went on playing :P im glad to see you starting ace early.