WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gr8outdrsmn

New hunting property access, questions on camo and scent blocker

:ranting: Well....I had a LONG thread typed up and bumped something...my browser backed up and then went into new thread again...but the text box was empty!

Oh well...I'll put the gist of it back LOL

Ok, so I have access to a new hunting property and, after quite a bit of scouting, have found a pretty good spot almost in a corner of the property, up on a hill that overlooks about 500 yards of potential hunting zone. Instead of going with some of the new camo out there I want to build a ghillie suit. Have any of you guys ever done this? I am contemplating dyeing the jute because my wife has some of the needed dye, but I am also thinking about buying a pack of predyed jute in the colors I want. It would save time and the hassle of dealing with the dyes.

I want to build this because it would be cheaper than buying new camo (I already have the BDU base and can get the dyed jute and netting for about $45), it would be very adaptable to my surroundings, it would just be cool, and my wife wants to help! LOL. I probably won't build a full suit, but mostly the top half, possibly a poncho. My shooting spot has some decent cover on 2 sides from natural vegetation.

Now, for the animals that are up close or downwind of me, what scent blocker would you guys recommend?

Thanks for looking!

What animals will you be hunting? Deer have no predators remaining in the area that attack from above, so we have had a lot of success using tree stands (10-15 feet up).  They will walk right up to the base of the stand and not even notice.  If you are quiet and still, you could be wearing a clown suit.

Most other animals around here don't notice either.  I have had foxes and coyotes come under the stand, along with squirrels climbing around in the tree next to me. 

Deer, coyote, turkey, maybe wild hogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyotes and turkey would work Ok with the suit. Wind is the enemy so you should prepare different blinds to take advantage of different wind directions on different days. There is no other game with better eye sight then a turkey. I think they can see you blink at close range. The more activity in the area the less game you will see so explore early and make a direct trail to your blind.