WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Les Stroud Live

I told myself if Les ever came to Illinois or close by I would go to try to meet him in person. I had some things I wanted to say from 14 years ago when I was an administrator in his original forum. I finally got my chance and it couldnt have been any better.

Les booked a place in East St Louis about four hour drive from our farm. Pops is located in an old part of town in Sauget Il. next to a strip club and a gas refinery and factories. Random gun fire isnt out of the question. However it was a Thursday night and the natives were not as restless as a weekend so it was pretty quiet.

svknnQ.jpg

Our problem with Pops is the seating arrangements. We had to sit on bar stools for three hours. Now some of you guys may be more used to it but my ass hurt all the way up to my head plus falling off wasnt out of the question for a 70 year old man.  :scared:

hyVtIy.jpg

We went to see Survivorman and saw a very accomplished musician. We forget Les started out playing in bands around the country.  He has shared the stage with the topS in the business, including Alice Cooper, Steven Stills, Tommy Shaw, Robbie Krieger, Blues Traveler, Tesla, Jacob Dylan, Chicago and The Roots. The music was very good and his harmonica playing was excellent and the band consisting of base guitar. lead guitar and drums  all very accomplished musicians. Les plays a mean guitar and lead singer. They can play some pretty hard rock, blues and ballads mixed and I could here it pretty good in fact a block away would work.  :o  My beer kept vibratring off the table. ( I lied about the beer we didnt drink)  :P Les truly enjoys playing on stage and his band do to. You can tell buy the smiles on their faces while they play.

qjKqZE.jpg

After a long wait in line to get an autograph and picture from Les we finally got to the table. He asked what name to sign his book I had for years. I said Swede- how do you spell it? he asked. I spelled it and thanked him for what he did for Trooper Max and Kim Linsley. he stopped and slowly turned to me and asked "Are you THE Swede?" Yup I guess so. He said well we finally got to meet and told me I was his number one promoter and thanked me. I said no "thank you for starting all this" I thanked him for keeping it real after all the phony crap that's on the survival shows now. He agreed. We talked about some of the people we knew back then and mentioned Wendy his secretary we went up to meet years back. We agreed we both loved her and how sweet Kim was. I told Les that we have to be careful what we put out for the public because of all the people we come in contact with and bad information could cause a bad out come. He agreed. He shook my hand twice and asked if I wanted a picture because we were getting mean looks form the people in line.  :P Very nice guy not snobbish in the least. The very same guy you see on Survivorman.

3yqX0q.jpg

Sharen bought a couple of Survivorman T shirts.

SxfjbB.jpg

oh what a time you guys had love the pictures and thanks swede and les for calling me sweet I am choked up swede you are his #1 promoter he told me I am he biggest fan so we are on top of les's list did you talk about wildsurvive and how his forum got us all together after he shut his down I am soooooo glad you got to see him in concert and got to meet him top notch in my book oh am rambling too excited I guess

When he thanked me for promoting him I said no- thank you for starting it all. We got off to a rocky start back then and he said thats over with and forgotten.

So nice!

I don't even know who I would be more honoured to meet, Swede or Les  happy070.gif

The man who started this web site Bravo  :arigato:  Sold it to me to advance his education in Bucharest Romania. It is my hope and prayers that some day we will also meet in the U.S.A.    :wave:

You guys thought I was exaggerating about random gun fire. The only thing worse then St Louis is East St Louis.    :o