WildSurvive Forum
gr8outdrsmn

Sighted in my new scope

Snuck off to the range this afternoon to sight in my new scope. It's a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 mounted on a Winchester Model 70 Stealth chambered in 308 with a 26" bull barrel.

I've gotta say, I love this scope. Great glass. It's been a couple years since I really tried to shoot. I had forgotten how much proper breathing plays into repeated accuracy.

After getting my scope zeroed at 25 yards I pushed it back to 100 yards and started bringing it in.

Here's my last 4 shots. These were Federal Gold Metal Match 168 grain BTHP.

6u4eny2e.jpg

Next time out I'm pushing back to 200 yards. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shooting!  It is far easier to maintain than to relearn.  Once you have the skill you can pick it back up pretty quick.  Great job!

Thanks! Yeah, I have to make it more of a habit. I'm really considering starting to reload my 308. It's so expensive to shoot match ammo these days. I am fortunate that I bought a large amount before it started going up. But it'll go quickly if I keep shooting.

Do you reload?

No I don't.  I have an old manual press but no parts for it.  Figure someday when I get my long gun, I'll start reloading in whatever caliber I settle on. 

Thanks! Yeah, I have to make it more of a habit. I'm really considering starting to reload my 308. It's so expensive to shoot match ammo these days. I am fortunate that I bought a large amount before it started going up. But it'll go quickly if I keep shooting.

Do you reload?

I do it takes sometime at first but you can work up some very good loads just for your rifle

It takes time and careful measurements but you can find a load that works better for your rifle. I shoot at running coyotes a lot so bench shooting is only good for sighting it in. I spent time with different bullets and powders for awhile but now I just shoot factory rounds. I shoot .243 Remington BDL 700 and the Remington 7600 pump.

i have a friend that reloads fire formed brass for me with 69 grain bthp sierra match rounds at about half the cost of factory.  but my passion is shooting 22lr at 200 to 300 yards. ive shot sub 2 inch groups at 200 and had a best 4 of 5 rounds under an inch with a flyer tht took it to 1.78 in.

Thanks for the info guys!

i have a friend that reloads fire formed brass for me with 69 grain bthp sierra match rounds at about half the cost of factory.  but my passion is shooting 22lr at 200 to 300 yards. ive shot sub 2 inch groups at 200 and had a best 4 of 5 rounds under an inch with a flyer tht took it to 1.78 in.

Sooooo yeah...I also took out my dad's Mossberg model 142a with 4x scope and a 550 round bulk pack of the SUPER ACCURATE 22lr (heavy sarcasm  moose0024.gif). While I had the target at 100 yards I figured I would see if I could even hit the paper with a rifle that hasn't been touched in over 10 years (and I'm not sure if it's ever been cleaned).

First off, going from a 24x scope to 4x, WOW what a difference hahaha.

Secondly, pulling the trigger, hearing the report, and THEN hearing the "thwack" as it hits the paper cracked me up LOL. 1000 FPS just isn't very quick lol.

BUT, I did hit the paper every time I pulled the trigger at 100 yards, just not accurately. On one shot, the "thwack" sounded a weeeee bit different, and I saw a mild white explosion. One of my rounds hit the right side upright support on our PVC target stand  wacky078.gif

Just glad PVC is cheap haha

I love shootong my home made steel gomgs at 200 yards. It takes the roumd about 1.5 seconds to get there. Then you will see the gong wiggle. And about 2 seconds later you hear it.  Lol i love shooting steel.  :thumbup:

I loaded 70gr. nozzler Teflon tips .243 with hogdon (sp) varget and if I remember 380 with the muzzle velocity @ around 3200 fps and by the time your eyeballs quit bouncing around the bullet had already hit.  :D

I love shootong my home made steel gomgs at 200 yards. It takes the roumd about 1.5 seconds to get there. Then you will see the gong wiggle. And about 2 seconds later you hear it.  Lol i love shooting steel.  :thumbup:

That sounds like a lot of fun...wish I had a couple of those...

I just looked I to steel plates. I can get some basic round ones through amazon for $5!  They are 4" round with two chain connection points and are 1/2" thick. I think I'll be ordering 5 or so and hanging them out to 300 yards. Let the fun begin!!

That sounds like a lot of fun...wish I had a couple of those...

i just bought two 235 round boxes of federal at walmart last week for 10 bucks apiece. if you want to go shootin sometime ill gladdly drive up ofg. we could shoot along ways in your backyard if the corn is gone :)

I just looked I to steel plates. I can get some basic round ones through amazon for $5!  They are 4" round with two chain connection points and are 1/2" thick. I think I'll be ordering 5 or so and hanging them out to 300 yards. Let the fun begin!!

i get all the building steel i want from work for 15cents a pound.  i weld up my own. the only thing is even 3/8 building steel will get a nice perfect hole in it with .223 out to 100 yards, it almost goes threw at 200. my 69 grain bthp sierra matchkings go threw it at 200.  but i have a bunch of plates and hangers made that work fine for 22-45 pistol.

Nice! yeah, not all steels are equal LOL. I ended up just ordering one plate to see how I like it. Only cost me about $10 including shipping. I got a 4" round, 1/2'' thick plate.