WildSurvive Forum

Ebola has always been around, we only found out about it in 1976. That's when it was identified. It typically would pop up sporadically in tiny clusters near the rain forest in Africa. It's so deadly that it burned its way through a small group of people very quickly and then it would burn out. It lives in fruit bats, but it doesn't kill the bats. People rarely get infected from a bat, the bat sometimes drops fruit to the ground, and the virus is shed in the bat's saliva. If another animal eats the fruit, they become infected. People become infected by slaughtering an infected animal and coming into contact with it's blood, or eating undercooked meat.

This current outbreak, they believe, "actually started last Dec. 6th when a two year old boy died in a village in Gueckedou, in Southeastern Guinea. He's been identified as patient zero. His mother died a week later, then his 3 year old sister, then his grandmother. All had fever, vomiting and diarrhea, but no one knew what had sickened them. Two mourners at his grandmothers funeral took the virus home to their village, a healthcare worker carried the virus to still another, where he died, as did his doctor. They both infected relatives from other towns. By the time the virus was recognized, in March, dozens of people had died in eight Guinean communities, and suspected cases popping up in Liberia and Sierra Leone ----three of the world's poorest countries, recovering from years of political dysfunction and civil war." (New York Times)

Zaire Ebolavirus (EBOV) is so deadly it normally has a 90% fatality rate, and so typically the tiny clusters of victims, isolated in villages around the rain forest regions caught it, and died of dehydration within hours after coming down with symptoms. So the virulence of the disease kept it in check. When medical technology, and disease experts came into the picture, patients got I.V. fluid therapy, oral electrolytes, and a very few started to even survive the disease. That's when they discovered that a man could pass the virus through his sperm up to sixty days after getting better.  8|

TRANSMISSION: Ebola gets into the Human population through close contact with the blood, secretions organs or other bodily fluids of an infected animal. The virus can get in through broken skin, or mucous membranes or by accidently ingesting it. Infection has been documented through the handling of infected Chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

Ebola then spreads human to human the same way, by coming into direct contact with body fluids, or by  coming into contact with an environmental surface contaminated by bodily fluids through a cut in the skin, or by self innoculation (Rubbing your eyes) or touching your food or lips etc. The average person touches their face thousands of times a day. So the virus gets into the next host quite effectively without being airborne. It spreads through bodily fluids so it makes sure that when it infects a host, they start putting out a lot of fluid. they vomit, and have diarrhea, they are feverish so they sweat, and then they bleed. It's pretty much in all body fluids. The virus can live in the dead body for a while infecting those who touch the corpse.

Modern health care has actually helped the virus to spread. No wonder the villagers blame the westerners for bringing it to them! Before modern healthcare, victims died very quickly and the disease went away. Now with fluid therapy, their lives can be prolonged, and the virus has a longer period to reproduce itself and get itself out there to the next host.... which more often than not are the doctors and nurses who are caring for the victims. There is no cure for the virus, and no vaccine. There are some experimental drugs, but none are available for widespread usage. Many people in these villages no longer want to take their sick to the hospital. They are fearful that when they take their loved ones to the hospital, they will never see them again (and they usually don't). they are afraid that nobody will care for them (And some nurses have stated that with protective wear in short supply, and fears of catching the disease, patients ARE being neglected, and it's a sad state of affairs for all.) The people in the towns blame the healthcare workers for spreading it, They are in a state of distrust of their government and of all the westerners there to help... nobody is helping and they are still dying. So the sick are staying in their homes which makes it impossible to even get a handle on how many are dying. and it makes the virus impossible to contain.

The hospitals have almost become breeding grounds for this virus . If the sick DID stay home, maybe it would burn itself out quicker. Some hospitals have closed because nobody is going there anymore. They are afraid to. Even people with Malaria are scared to go in for treatment, because they are afraid they will catch Ebola, or that because of their symptoms they will be mistaken for an Ebola victim.

It's a dangerous situation, and then you have OUR network news folks blaming the Africans for being superstitious, and ignorant and not having the knowledge to contain the virus, but if our healthcare system had been hit by anything similar to what they're going through we would be in a state of collapse. We run out of stuff we need EVERY weekend I work! And we are just as distrustful of our government as they are of theirs. We'd be in the exact same boat.

Sounds like all kinds of lovely. And to bring two infected patients into the US???  Brilliant strategy there.

I'm not too worried about those two. They were brought in on CDC equipped isolation transport jets. They know how to contain it, plus they both got the magical experimental serum!  :woot: I think that's why they went to get them. They wanted to see how it worked. And it appears to work.

it's the millions of other folks flying into and out of Africa and to all other parts of the world that bother me. Ebola has an incubation period of 2-21 days, so a person could be infected, and not be showing a fever in the airport (they do check for fever prior to boarding) and they could easily be in another country before they become symptomatic.

That's why the CDC says that it's inevitable that we will have cases in this country. It's their enthusiasm and their overwhelming belief that we can contain it "Immediately" that has ME bothered. I think they are putting too much faith into the sick person acting prudently. For their plan to work, a recent travelor from Africa will quickly decide that they might have Ebola as soon as they have symptoms. They will stay clear of everyone, and call the hospital to alert them that a potential Ebola victim might be coming in, and they will be feeling well enough to drive themselves to the hospital where they are immediately isolated. But what if it doesn't play out like that?  :unsure:

What Then?

What if a recent travelor to Africa gets sick and decides to drive to the E.R. and they are so dizzy from the vomiting and the diarrhea that they pass out at the wheel? What if they end up coming into the E.R not as a potential Ebola patient, but as a trauma victim instead? What if they just collapse in public? And nobody knows them? So they call 911. What if they are not conscious when they arrive so they cannot GIVE a travel history? Then you have paramedics at the scene, bystanders, good samaritans who might have helped them at the scene and called 911. All potentially exposed to their blood, or other body fluids. The patient wont be isolated but will be taken into a trauma room, usually with other patients, a hoard of health care workers will have contact with them. They will be wheeled to C-T scan, x-ray, god knows where else. It happens every day! The CDC is counting on every victim recognizing that they are infected and being able to tell the E.R. folks what is wrong BEFORE anyone has contact with them. It's obsurd! That's the idea that we are hanging our public health on.

Maybe all travelers from African countries where Ebola is known to be spreading, need to be quarentined for 21 days before they are allowed into our country. That would be a WAY safer plan! THAT would actually contain the virus and keep it out of our Nation. But God forbid we do something smart.

Instead, our government will allow anyone to come in! It doesn't matter if you are from an African country where Ebola is spreading out of control. We don't care!

So some poor cleaning lady at a Holiday Inn can walk into a room one morning and find someone unconscious in their bed laying in a pool of blood and vomit. No travel history available, she'll call 911, and the chaos will begin, and the CDC will change their song and dance, and we will all suffer from their negligence.

These are not far-fetched scenarios I'm suggesting, I think they are VERY real...

I mean, WHAT are the chances of an Ebola victim being found unconscious? Or arriving at a hospital Unconscious? The ONLY thing that is ever going to make anyone in an American hospital think of Ebola is a recent trip to Africa. Without a travel history....  they're just another patient.

Good thread. Everyone, especially those of us in the health care profession and especially those who have initial patient contact has to be familiar with this disease.

~ some lady in New Mexico is being isolated for it in a hospital there. She recently got back from a trip to Siera Leone. The HIPPA law prohibits hospitals from releasing patient information. This is going to become an issue. Other patients were upset when they found out a "potential" Ebola patient was in that hospital and they had not been warned. As were visitors.As it is right now, any Ebola patient who enters a U.S. hospital can sue the hospital if their identity is revealed, or even if their health information is discussed publicly. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-mexico-woman-tested-for-ebola-after-visiting-sierra-leone/

on a lighter note, a bunch of looters in Liberia, raided a small clinic setting Ebola patients free and taking off with soiled sheets, mattresses and other contaminated medical supplies. Thirty patients are missing.

~ some lady in New Mexico is being isolated for it in a hospital there. She recently got back from a trip to Siera Leone. The HIPAA law prohibits hospitals from releasing patient information. This is going to become an issue. Other patients were upset when they found out a "potential" Ebola patient was in that hospital and they had not been warned. As were visitors.As it is right now, any Ebola patient who enters a U.S. hospital can sue the hospital if their identity is revealed, or even if their health information is discussed publicly. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-mexico-woman-tested-for-ebola-after-visiting-sierra-leone/

on a lighter note, a bunch of looters in Liberia, raided a small clinic setting Ebola patients free and taking off with soiled sheets, mattresses and other contaminated medical supplies. Thirty patients are missing.

Biological warfare?

I doubt there is enough knowledge and skills in the people who broke in to preserve and weaponize the virus.  Most likely they either end up inadvertently destroying it.  Worst case is they manage to secure it long enough to infect themselves. 

~ with the missing patients, I wonder. The poor  looters who grabbed the sheets and stuff are probably already infected. It makes no sense. It's a bizarre story. Even out of Africa.

C'est L' Afrique, I stopped being surprised or shocked decades ago.

~ Let's forget, for just a moment, about the world's most lethal virus all of a sudden busting out of the Congo... the images coming out of West Point (a neighborhood of the Capital of Monrovia Liberia) are highly disturbing, and ring a primal warning to us all. The President is actually quarentining the  "Slums" of the Capital city. They are putting up razor wire all around these two slum sections (where the poor have very little anyway). Military guards are keeping them inside.... they say they are shooting into the air to keep the angry mob back, but I saw a graphic picture online of a teenage boy whose lower right leg had a hole blown into it taking all the flesh off to the bone on his shin. He was layed up against a dumpster in agony. Just for protesting to not be held captive in the slum. He died (according to witnesses). No medical care is being sent in. They have NO food, NO fresh water. They say they are giving them rice. It's like something out of a horror movie. Rumors have it that Anarchy has taken over the slum, and the social situation has declined to something out of a Mad Max movie.

While in Missouri..... citizens are outraged that an 18 year old Black guy attacked an armed officer of the law and got shot. THIS is the number one story being sold according to Google and Bing.  :nono:

We live in a global society. The people in this country have NO clue what oppression is.  censored.gif

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/liberian-soldiers-seal-slum-halt-ebola-n185046

Ebola is NOT limited to only the slum areas.... so WHY seal the slums off to all hope? You try to leave.... You get shot. You stay, you probably die because if you don't catch Ebola, you'll starve to death, or not have any fresh water to drink. It's a sad state of affairs. They're being held at gun point, in a Martial Law situation, sealed into a city of death, that's dismal at it's best. The disease in Africa carries a stigmatism of being a "Poor" person's disease. Hence the Rich sealing off the slums, like THAT's where it comes from.

What would YOU do?

What would YOU belive about your government?

OUR government suggests the Africans there have VERY little intelligence, and that they are superstitious, and that they dont even go to the clinics or the hospital when they are sick. But when they DO go.... they die anyway. Nobody cares for the sick in the hospitals/makeshift clinics.....  they only want them to go there to contain them in one place. The families want their loved ones at home, so they can make sure they get care.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/08/22/342404795/in-riots-sparked-by-an-ebola-quarantine-a-teen-is-shot-and-dies

~ Zoom in on this link and think about what OUR U.S. citizens whine about. Open your eyes, and see our "global society". 

As a healthcare worker (Mother of a teen-aged son) I am empathizing so much for that young boy...  it hurts me to look at that picture. He layed there and screamed for help for hours...  So I force myself to look. We can no longer afford to turn a  "Blind eye" to the things that matter. Our world is shrinking. Nothing is going to drive that truth home as fast as Ebola will in these torn nations. Almost two thousand have died from it in a short few months, and everyday brings new confirmed cases, and an equal number of "shadow cases" that are hidden from the media. This boy did not die of Ebola, he died of neglect after being shot by his own hometown "FEMA group" so to speak. I can't stand the thought of my son having to go through anything like that.  sad042.gif

Ebola cases appearing in DR Congo

A major outbreak in Congo would be catastrophic; it shares borders with nine nations, including Rwanda, Uganda and Burundi.

I can keep talking about this regardless of whether anybody comments!  :P    and don't think I wont.  :whistle:

you know that magic serum those two american volunteers got why don't we give it to the people in other countrys and should I be scared how do you get it thanks taken

you know that magic serum those two american volunteers got why don't we give it to the people in other countrys and should I be scared how do you get it thanks taken

Because the drug is experimental, (god only knows what the cost is) and has never been approved for use in humans, and it isn't being mass produced at this time. One Liberian doctor got the drug and he just died this past Sunday in spite of it. And no, it's not time to be afraid. Healthcare workers are way more at risk IF it ever gets to our country, and I'm not afraid. I study it for that very reason. I figure if I know my enemy I might recognize it, and be able to evade it. Don't fear it, but.DO cultivate a healthy respect for it.  That's all I ever try to do.

Unless you're in Africa, you won't be coming into contact with it.....  so far.

Because the drug is experimental, (god only knows what the cost is) and has never been approved for use in humans, and it isn't being mass produced at this time. One Liberian doctor got the drug and he just died this past Sunday in spite of it. And no, it's not time to be afraid. Healthcare workers are way more at risk IF it ever gets to our country, and I'm not afraid. I study it for that very reason. I figure if I know my enemy I might recognize it, and be able to evade it. Don't fear it, but.DO cultivate a healthy respect for it.  That's all I ever try to do.

Unless you're in Africa, you won't be coming into contact with it.....  so far.

Definitely makes sense to keep abreast of the situation.

comment comment comment  :P

~ This just in.... Ebola has purchased a Glock!  :scared:  It's using Walmart tarps for cover and it's not guying them down tight enough and the wind noise is keeping sick natives awake at night! Any thoughts? Plus it likes serrated knives!  scared011.gif

~ This just in.... Ebola has purchased a Glock!  :scared: scared011.gif  It's using Walmart tarps for cover and it's not guying them down tight enough to keep the African wind from making them loud enough to keep natives awake at night. Any thoughts? Plus it likes serrated knives!

Folder or fixed blade knives???

~ This just in.... Ebola has purchased a Glock!  :scared:  It's using Walmart tarps for cover and it's not guying them down tight enough and the wind noise is keeping sick natives awake at night! Any thoughts? Plus it likes serrated knives!  scared011.gif

happy097.gif  ebola is my enemy  :guns: