WildSurvive Forum

Can Ebola be transmitted over the internet?  :err:

Not if you have virus protection and practice safe computing.  Just be careful what you put in your floppy drive.

In Africa People are starting to deny exposure to Ebola when they go to hospitals, or when they take their kids who are sick. They are lying about possible contact (like recent exposure to a sick relative, or having gone to a funeral. This causes dozens of healthcare workers to come into contact with the virus by postponing isolation. However, the crowded conditions in ebola units almost ensures that if you don't have ebola when you go into isolation, you'll have it when you come out... if you ever do.  If you had a few symptoms, and you weren't sure, you might be in denial as well. Nobody wants to admit they are sick. This is how the virus spread to Nigeria, and just recently to Senegal, which is now the fifth country to have an Ebola positive patient. This common behavior of withholding contact information is perpetuating the outbreak, and if it happens in this country, it will circumvent our only defense.... the ability to rapidly contain it. Without that advantage, it could easily break out.

That fear might explain how the young boy suffering from Ebola was admitted to Ola During Children's Hospital.

The boy showed up at the hospital with his father, doctors recall. The child had a fever. He was vomiting and had diarrhea. These were textbook signs of Ebola. But 8 per cent of paediatric patients here have similar complaints, usually pointing to malaria or a severe stomach bug, doctors say. They further screened the boy for the virus by asking his father some questions. Any travels? Any funerals? No, no, he said.

The boy was taken to a general ward inside the cramped hospital, which overlooks Destruction Bay on the city's east end. The hospital's open windows were covered by sheets to block out the sun and the smell of burning trash. A sign painted in red by the hospital entrance read, "Water from the well in the hospital compound is unsafe for drinking."

Two days later, the boy's gums started to bleed. He was transferred to the hospital's isolation ward. A day later, his lab tests came back. He had Ebola. Doctors delivered the news to the boy's stepmother and asked again about his travels. The stepmother said the boy had attended his grandmother's funeral in the provinces.

The father had lied to us, said Sara Hommel, a German paediatrician with a foreign aid group, clearly upset.

She couldn't understand it. Other doctors, too, have complained about patients not being forthcoming about possible exposure to Ebola. But facing a disease with no cure, perhaps the father and others were afraid to admit the truth.

The hospital had remained closed for several days as the remaining hospital staff "

~ we actually have a lot of recent travelors from Africa in our town. We currently have two Nigerian babies with different parents in our unit, whose families are flying back and forth during their stay. Their parents are Nigerian and the babies are American citizens because they were born in our hospital. We have a LOT of students in our country from African nations. Especially in Atlanta and in my town as well. The virus is only a flight away. So the fact that a lot of these kids could be in denial, and don't want to be honest with their travel history inside of their own Nation raises possible outbreak concerns.

I heard on cnn it's out of control

~ It is out of control because they can't contain it. The people who are sick are hiding and not wanting to be carried off to the isolation wards. Partly because they don't want to believe they have it, (and if they go into an ebola isolation ward they WILL catch it) Denial is becoming the number one reason it can't be controlled. They believe that if you go into the isolation clinic, you die there. They don't feed you, they don't give you water, they just leave you to die. And that's basically happening in many places.

Denial is THE reason it's spreading in Nigeria. ONE man in denial brought it into the country. They had hundreds of his contacts under surveillance, and ONE of those men fled out of Lagos, to Port Harcourt Nigeria when he came down with symptoms, and had a doctor in a Hotel take care of him. The doctor had no idea he had Ebola so then the doctor came down with symptoms, and HE was in denial so he still went to work, and even operated to two people! He had hundreds of visitors when he was in the hospital all laying hands on him praying. Not to mention all the patients he layed HIS hands on.....The doctor died, and his wife (whom he infected also died) and another nurse has died there, so now hundreds are under contact surveillance in Nigeria. All it took was ONE man to enter that country in denial and now it's out of control.  :nono:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/diplomat-fled-quarantine-center-ebola-cluster-nigeria/story?id=25248411

This video has been circulating on the net showing an Ebola patient who escaped quarentine and ran into a crowded market place.... he was searching desperately for food. PROOF that they are literally leaving patients to die in quarentine. The crowd is angry at him, and he's carried back to die in isolation, hungry. No WONDER people are lying about being sick, and avoiding "surveillance".

http://rt.com/news/184660-ebola-patient-escapes-liberia/

When This is how the sick are treated, it's no wonder the American "doctors" are brought back to be treated in this country.

~ So the third Ebola victim is in Nebraska at a hospital facility equipped to handle this case. This doctor was working in the Hot Zone (Liberia)  as an Obstetrics doctor. Ob doctors often are up to their elbows in blood, and given the fact that when a pregnant woman catches Ebola, the virus attacks the fetus, and causes her to miscarry. The fetus is often reduced to a bloody mess, literally filled with amplified virus. My point being, Just because he's not working in the Ebola Ward, he still should have used protective gear....but He didn't. I can appreciate the heat factor, and the fact that the hospitals are not air conditioned, but when your life is at stake, as well as the lives of your other patients, common sense should prevail. Also... how many OTHER women did this man infect by going from patient to patient without using protective gear? First do NO harm! Now he's back home with us, and they'll make him out to be a hero.  :thumbdown: 

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/09/03/american-with-ebola-from-boston-area/zm3GhGshtpmE1ylhRIyUIK/story.html

I understand the desire to go to third world countries and do missionary work in villages. One or two of the nurses I work with have routinely gone to Africa on missionary work, one came back with Malaria this Summer. Thank god it wasn't Ebola, because nobody would've figured that out until dozens of people were infected.

The truth is, Ebola has been around for WAY longer than humans have. It's been popping up in remote villages for many years, but it kills fast enough to burn itself out. HEALTH CARE clinics have served as a breeding ground for the virus. Just like they did for Aids. Clinics used to vaccinate EVERYBODY using the same needle, and thereby spread the AIDS virus far and wide in Africa. makeshift clinics might have saved some lives from Cholera and Small pox, but look what the damage is in the end.

When you ask a lot of people to come to your door when they are sick, and you don't have the ways and means of using sterile technique and adhering to strict infection control protocols you're nothing but a VECTOR in the process.

The missionaries and the makeshift clinics and ill prepared hospitals are doing nothing but keeping Ebola alive and thriving in Africa.

Years ago, a village would seal itself OFF. They would down trees in the roads. The sick died in their huts, and the virus burned out quickly.

Our attempt to "Help" is going to be our downfall. Either way, it's too late now. Hind sight is always 20/20.

They never mentioned whether or not this doctor received the experimental drug ZMapp. I think that other doctor and nurse should take care of THIS new guy. They're immune to Ebola, so nobody would be at risk.

~ since I got accused today at work of being a "Doomsday spreader", just because somebody asked me about Ebola, I just want to reiterate that the CDC and WHO have both said over and over again that the number one people at risk right now are health care workers, and I'm one of them. That's the only reason I'm researching this virus. So I can learn about it. I realize it scares some folks, but NO virus made by nature, kills everybody. Not even Ebola. It's learning about us as it spreads, and I'm learning about it... because I choose to. When I understand stuff, I'm less fearful of it because it's not such a mystery or an "unknown" threat. I'm not going to listen to News commentators tell me about this virus, for the same reason I'd never ask the kid at petsmart how to keep my fish alive. I always go to Scientific research for my Science answers. Commentators recite over and over how hard it is to catch Ebola, and how little you should worry about it, but to say that with the knowledge that this is a biosecurity level 4 virus that is burning out of control.... is like a nightmare to anyone who has half a brain. It's like the national hurricane association and the weather channel getting together and not worrying about a category five storm swirling off the shore of Africa and headed this way.

Ask Nigeria how hard is to stop Ebola when ONE man hops a flight, and comes into ONE hospital in that ONE country in denial, and he infects sixteen others, and how one contact fled Lagos and ran to Port Harcourt (infected) and he hid in a hotel being treated by a doctor whom he infected and is now dead from Ebola but spread it to others because he himself was in denial, and he continued to even perform surgery on folks and take care of patients... Now hundreds are under Contact Surveillance, and trying to flee to escape with the virus in tow.... to somewhere else. Nobody believes they have it, until they have infected others. 

Ask yourself why it's not on the News 24/7..... like the Weather channel is when a Hurricane is brewing in the Atlantic. Nobody in my hospital has mentioned it to us. The CDC hasn't been in touch with us.... nobody is prepared for that ONE patient who might NOT be honest. Even though dishonesty is becoming the norm in Africa.

There's an elephant in the living room, and nobody is talking about it...

Not even YOU folks, who are all hell bent on survival. So I'm done posting about it here. And talking about it at work. I'm just protecting my OWN self with knowledge. The reason it's not on the news, is because they don't want to create a panic. So read between my lines. 

"You can never lose concentration with these viruses. Many of these agents are incredibly dangerous to handle. You can't be scared of them, that doesn't do you any good, but you HAVE to respect them and you have to understand that they WILL not give you a second chance. If you don't, bad things can happen to you." 

Ethan Jones, Biosecurity level 4 lab,

Winnipeg Canada

~ taken out.

Good info Taken.  In what you have found, what would you recommend as the biggest signs to watch for for healthcare workers?

~ realize that there are NO flight restrictions out of these countries, and that many of the victims may be in denial. ALWAYS take a travel History when a patient presents with symptoms, and realize that you might be the ONLY person with sense enough to do that. Don't be scared of alerting the Doctor if they say they've been to Africa, even if they roll their eyes and scoff. That's human nature. That's what they always do. Treat EVERYONE with universal precautions and don't be slack about it. WEAR Gloves! even if you're just touching their skin. Use hand sanitizer before and AFTER you put on your gloves, and after you leave the room. Familiarize yourself with the symptoms of Ebola and make sure you ask them if they've traveled to Africa. If they say they have Malaria, don't believe them, until blood work comes back. Realize that an Ebola patient might present in a hospital having a miscarriage, prior to feeling really ill. Start looking at the things in a hospital that everyone touches, like the computer mouse, the elevator buttons, the push plates to open doors.... get a feel for where cross contamination occurs. And wipe those hot spots down with the antimicrobial wipes that are all over the place. realize that a patient may be taken all over the E.R. and X-ray, and see dozens of employees before anybody figures out what they have. Especially if they arrive unconscious. Don't touch your face, or rub your eyes or nose. Always keep hand sanitizer in your car when you work in public health, use it as soon as you get in your car to go home. Use it after you pump gas, or go to the grocery store. Always understand that many people die in hospitals every single year because WE carry germs from room to room. Nosocomial infections kill thousands of patents every year.  Be smarter than the bugs.  :arigato: 

~as a nurse, everytime you start an I.V. or hang a med, or open that I.V. to room air, think that you are opening up a direct entry into that patient's blood stream. Make sure you wash your hands, wear gloves, use hub scrubbers, keep your thoughts on what you're doing and never touch the end of any tubing or med line that's opened up. If you can, Don't open up any line.... especially to dress somebody. Be careful anytime you unscrew the connections on I.V. tubing. realize that you are introducing whatever is on your hands directly into their blood. Every tube going into somebody's body is a possible point of entry, including feeding tubes and E.T. tubes. I work with patients who have NO immunity, so its second nature to me.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/index.html

here Watcher. Learn to navigate this website. Most of the people you work with, will not even know about it.

I'm pretty sure that you don't have to worry about Ebola right now. I live right outside of Atlanta, and we have a LOT of exchange students from Africa. We have several parents in our unit right now who are from countries where Ebola is confirmed. Not only that, they go back and forth to Africa while their babies are in our unit. So I keep my eyes open for symptoms. but I'm just like that.

Taken, I knew there was a reason that I love you :D

Thank you for your extreme attention to detail and awareness of possible issues.  Being a nurse is all about awareness, that's something that I've seen lacking in a lot of other people...  :arigato:

Taken, I knew there was a reason that I love you :D

Thank you for your extreme attention to detail and awareness of possible issues.  Being a nurse is all about awareness, that's something that I've seen lacking in a lot of other people...  :arigato:

thank you Watcher. 

Not being a medical person, I have a question, What is the current threat level in your opinion (Not what the CDC Says).  Do you feel this is going to become a full blow pandemic?  And if so, how long would you estimate it would take to reach that level from the current state?.

Not being a medical person, I have a question, What is the current threat level in your opinion (Not what the CDC Says).  Do you feel this is going to become a full blow pandemic?  And if so, how long would you estimate it would take to reach that level from the current state?.

Well the CDC has activated a level 1 alert and is throwing all of their resources at helping to contain it. They've only done this three times in History. The World Health Organization is all in. It's a REALLY Big deal. But even so, the virus is surging out of control.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/ebola-surging-beyond-control-whos-margaret-chan-warns-1

"a hot virus from the rain forest lives within a twenty-four-hour plane flight from every city on earth." (Richard Preston, The Hot Zone.)  we've been pretty much safe from Ebola because the typical villagers who caught it didn't ride on planes. Now they do. Ebola typically jumped in remote villages in the Congo, in East Africa. It's never been in West Africa until now. West Africa is way more populated, and Ebola is like a spark, and people are like perfect tinder.

I'm in no position to speculate about numbers or length of time, but prior to 2014, the ONLY people in the United States who could work with the Ebola Zaire virus, or "agent" as the U.S. military calls it, had to have special clearance... and enter several stages of decontamination... U.V. light, Biohazard Suits, Go through Air-Lock/Decon Showers, enter further codes to be cleared to enter.  But NOW.... they're saying that any hospital in this country should be ok dealing with it. Sounds like a lot of down-playing going on.  :glare:

~ the World health organization is estimating that a hundred thousand could be infected before the end of the year and the CDC and both WHO say that the numbers in the media are grossly inaccurate and are probably four fold what is being reported. It's a perfect storm of healthcare workers going on strike, not having enough beds, having to turn patients away, public distrust of the government and the foreign doctors who are there to supposedly help, conspiracy theories.... all the same stuff we have in THIS country as well.

.  But NOW.... they're saying that any hospital in this country should be ok dealing with it. Sounds like a lot of down-playing going on.  :glare:

thats what bothers me most, if it does go full, there wont be much time to prepare.    (Not that there is much we can do other than setup up for isolation). 

It'l be like the CDC and other sources talking about a minor outbreak while all your neighbors are coughing and sputtering blood in the streets.  :(

~ The media keeps reiterating that the Ebola virus is NOT Airborne....  Well Neither is influenza. Influenza is spread by aerosol droplet contamination. The flu can't stay in the air very long. It can travel out of you at high velocity when you sneeze or cough and "hover" in the air for a little bit, and precipitate out onto surfaces and survive... but so can Ebola.  A virus doesn't have to be "Airborne" to become a Pandemic (pandemic means its on many continents) That's what people don't get. HIV (AIDS) is Ten times harder to catch than Ebola, and it went pandemic. Measles and Small pox are true airborn viruses... anthrax is an airborne bacteria... TB is an Airborn bacteria....  But Influenza is not. An airborne virus can "ride" on air currents through a building, linger in a classroom.

Ebola is having NO problem spreading, even if you have to have close contact with the victim's body fluids. (The CDC defines "close contact" as being within 3 feet) Their ENTIRE body turns to fluid shortly after death, and the fluid spreads far and wide, and lives for days on surfaces. You do NOT have to be touching their blood. You could be riding in a cab that just took an Ebola patient to the hospital, and put your hand where they sweated, or puked, or had diarrhea. IT's on you, then you wipe your eyes.... and it's in you. How hard is that?

But so far people have been forthcoming with travel information when they DO go to one of our hospitals with symptoms. so that's a good thing.

For every team of experts that say it's a threat, there is an opposing team to say it's unlikely to ever spread. Only time will tell. I'm not an expert, Im just a lowly healthcare worker, and it's already been established by our nations leaders that a few people like me might die, but most of you folks should be ok. That's the message I read from our Nations infectious disease specialist.

Why does ebola appear to not be spreading exponentially? I would of thought by the time 3000 people have been affected that number would have doubled (or more) in 2-21 days? Am I missing something or are they actually slowing the spread?

We (Australia) have had a couple of suspected cases so far but none have tested positive.