WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Top Five Survival Items

I don't have infinite wisdom.  I simply explained what I would use and how based on the scenario Swede devised.  You keep your 1 tarp, I'll keep my contractor bags and we'll both be happy.  Jeesh, it's not tough.

your a god, we should all worship doc, bow to theee  :pray: thnk you for your wisdome that has been gathered from years of experience  :pray: you are our hero  :pray:

Good points to consider especially a flotation device. The other thing in the mix is the clothes your wearing makes a big difference in survival and I didnt consider that in the items. Lets assume your going dressed for the season and the weather as a for gone conclusion. Cordage can be made is a good excuse for not giving up an item you may need plus shoe strings can be used for cordage. A tarp as compared to a roll of bags may be giving up too much and forgetting that many bags is one item.  :P You could say a dozen tarps is one item.  :)

I should have asked before. Where would this extended stay be taking place? Also the time of year and how long is this extended stay? One week, a month? Longer?

I didnt expressly think of any place. I was looking for some favorites that you might take with you. It would make a big difference where and what time of year. Your clothing is a bonus as an item. 

well les stround msk it has a flint striker on cordage signal mirror

my stanly cup with the cups inside

my survival tent

first aid kit and whisle

Good list.

Well...

My first 5 items would be

1- ESEE 4

2- Savage MKII GL .22 Bolt action.  Throw in a bulk box of ammo with this and you'd be good for a LONG time if you are worth your salt as a marksman.

3- If this was a long term situation, I'd want a larger billy can over my current 600ml titanium pot that I use.  I'd want something large enough to stew a whole squirrel or rabbit in.

4- My 12x12 canvas tarp.  For long term, canvas will beat nylon EVERY TIME (in my oh so humble opinion)  I can wrap up the rest of my gear in it while I move.  It's large enough that I can set up a fire under it.  It also doesn't need cordage to set up, just toss it over some dead trees and weight it with rocks and you'd be fine. 

5- This is the most difficult item...  I have made fire with bow drill before, but I am not confident enough in my abilities to rely on it for my survival so I'd probably end up with a firesteel.  I don't care too much for the mag bars.  The magnesium shavings blow everywhere and the firesteel on it is always of lesser quality...  I'll just go with a big ol' light my fire one, I like those best so far.

~For clothing, it really depends on the time of year.  Summer I'd just have shorts and a tee shirt and my keen sandals.  After wearing those sandals for a weekend at camp, I realized the importance of proper footwear.  This time of year I'm better off.  Wool socks and boots, durable Kuhl pants, and layered outerwear.  I wouldn't wear rain gear if I was just going out for a day and it wasn't forecasted to rain, but if it was an extended trip, I'd definitely be wearing my rain jacket as my outer layer. 

If I got 5 more items they would be

1-Sleeping bag

2-Flashlight

3-Rope

4- Radio

5- Spices

I agree on the Mag bars, never been too impressed with them.  And many times the striker is tiny and wears out quickly, I like a good old rod.  A friend picked up a huge rod, 6 inches and nearly half an inch, That should last a while. LOL

Modified, I said striker when I meant fero.  I've never worn out a striker, but I have been through about 5 or 6 ferro rods of various sizes.  Never realized how many strikes that might have been LOL

A small thin piece of chert works best for a striker as you can chip it sharp again if need be.

I'm wondering, I always have my edc stuff on me every day, no matter where I am.  So here are the 5 items I know would be on me regardless of what else was available in my kit bags.

1.  2 ferro rods on my keychain.  My favorite scout and my Exotac.  2 is 1, 1 is none.

2.  SAK Trecker as my backup knife/multitool  It also hangs off my key-chain makes for a good improvised club on the keychain.

3.  My CRKT M21, not the best bushcraft knife, but it is razor sharp and has a great deep belly.  The serrations are not as usefull to me in the field, but for riping through tough stuff like webbing or heavy guage plastic or thin aluminum, they are da bomb.

4.  My Charge ALX with a bit kit is always on my belt.  This thing has a great mini saw for doing notching for joining sticks to make frames and stuff and a scalpel sharp blade, can-opener etc.  I love this tool  The scales are more comfortable than other plain steel multitools I've used. 

5.  I have a mini flashlight connected to my wallet.  Single AAA but good light, LED not sure on run-time, no idea what brand it is, but I've used it on a single battery since I got it 6 months ago and I'd estimate I've had 7 to 8 hours of continuous run-time out of it so far.

Good idea SG.  I'm not generally bored in the woods, but a book could be useful.  I'd probably spend my free time building stuff.  But the book, after it was read could be used for Tissue or fire starting materials etc as well.  Cool  :thumbsup:

Ooooh, lists like these are always fun. Let me see if I can contribute with my top five:

1: A good quality knife and the means to sharpen it. This would in my case be a 3 to 5 inch carbon steel knife, to protect the steel from rust i could probably just wipe it against my skin or hair as soap an shampoo is not a part of my 5 item list.

2: 30 feet of paracord wrapped together with 6 feet of snare wire. This will give me the opportunity to trap game from varying sizes, up to roe deer size with the paracord. It is in my case preferable and less energy consuming than hunting, but if I could bring a sixth item it would be my CZ 22LR bolt action rifle. The individual strands would make it possible to fish with wooden hooks as well.

3: Firesteel. As I live in a nordic country with lots of rain in one half of the year and mostly snow in the winter I will need a fool proof way of getting a fire stared, in my case I can gather some birchbark in my pockets and will always have the means of making a fire without much hassle.

4: Billy can. This makes is possible to melt snow in the winter, collect berries and birch bark and of course to prepare food. It has a lid as well so everything does not have to taste like smoke and bonfire.

5: Axe. There is no getting around this in a nordic country, the amount of wood needed to be processed during the winter as well as the shelter construction will need serious tools and manpower. The axe is for me an invaluable piece of kit I rarely leave without when I go out in the woods.

As you can see I did not add any waterproofing for my shelter as I consider these objects more important for survival as a steep lean-to with lost of moss, spruce and sticks will keep me fairly dry and paired with a long-log fire I will keep warm as well. Based on experience the lean to keeps you more than dry enough as long as you put enough material on it :)

I think I'll maybe approach this a little differently than some. But I'll wait till I can take a photo(s) tomorrow to back up my thoughts.