WildSurvive Forum

oh I do that too I have one I found in the woods but you can have more then one walking stick

I would be concerned about the broom handle breaking as the grain runs lengthwise. You risk getting skewered.

oh I do that too I have one I found in the woods but you can have more then one walking stick

Walking Stick Code of Conduct, Section 23, Paragraph 8 clearly states that an individual shall have one and only one walking stick.

I will post some pictures of the one I am working on for Hartman Reserve (they have a fund raiser next weekend).  Personally, I like the crooked look for a walking stick.  I think it looks more natural.

Walking Stick Code of Conduct, Section 23, Paragraph 8 clearly states that an individual shall have one and only one walking stick.

I call BS on this. The book of Mudd says at least three. One regular stick, so as not to scare the hippies. One fancy walking stick. One with a hidden sword and fire starting gear in the handle. Or a blowgun.

I call BS on this. The book of Mudd says at least three. One regular stick, so as not to scare the hippies. One fancy walking stick. One with a hidden sword and fire starting gear in the handle. Or a blowgun.

That would be three different sticks...a walking stick, a fancy stick and a sword/blowgun stick.

I believe they annotated that rule back in 84 or 85 with (one walking stick Per Location Hiked).  moose0024.gif

Actually, there was a cephalopod push to allow up to 8 walking sticks at a time.  This kind of fizzled when they realized they could not breath all that well out of water.

Walking sticks, I have learned are the worst place to stash your survival kit. You lean it on a tree while taking a siesta, then get up and forget it's there and a mile later.  oops.gif

SG said:

I am going to make a walking stick using a broom handle

Broomhandles are nice, but my favorite is a 3/4" piece of aluminum conduit, cut to length and wrapped with electricians tape so it doesn't leave that aluminum residue on your hands.  One method to keep from leaving walking sticks is, if walking a trail, stick it upright about 5 to 10 yards down the direction you are going to be going after your break, lunch, etc.  Nice thing about aluminum is it doesn't blend into the background the way some "rustic" sticks do.  10 foot length from Grainger, about $35 - 11/2014

SG said:

Broomhandles are nice, but my favorite is a 3/4" piece of aluminum conduit, cut to length and wrapped with electricians tape so it doesn't leave that aluminum residue on your hands.  One method to keep from leaving walking sticks is, if walking a trail, stick it upright about 5 to 10 yards down the direction you are going to be going after your break, lunch, etc.  Nice thing about aluminum is it doesn't blend into the background the way some "rustic" sticks do.  10 foot length from Grainger, about $35 - 11/2014

i have one of those rustic blendy into the woodsies style sticks. on two different occasions ive left it in the woods and had to hike back to get it. fortunately it blends in well enough nobody saw it to grab it.  lol

I don't want to get skered so I wont do the broom handle then my woodsi one is crooked so how do I turn it into a good looking stick and remember I am short so I don't need a too tall one my branch one just perfect

I don't want to get skered so I wont do the broom handle then my woodsi one is crooked so how do I turn it into a good looking stick and remember I am short so I don't need a too tall one my branch one just perfect

i used a hickory shovel handle for mine. its tough as nails. ive dug up plants and worms for fishing. ive prided apart wood stumps for tinder and im sure i could beat a bear to death with it i swear.  :hugegrin:  its a little heavy for a walking stick but it has many uses a lightweight stick wouldn't last for. oh, and yes you should have at least three. one for hiking, one for smashing stuff and one for posing for pictures  :P

Here is the latest hiking staff I made.  I think it started out as a small tree we cut when clearing shooting lanes  from one of our deer stands.

I first stripped the bark off and let it dry for a couple of years.  Next, I cut it to rough length and did some shaping on it using a draw knife.  I like to have a rough texture, so I did most of the smoothing with a couple of sandstone rocks.

I used a wood burner to put a raccoon on the top of the staff. 

B02pXQ.jpg

Below the raccoon, I cut out a channel for the paracord wrap.  This works well as it puts the paracord roughly the same level and the wood and also helps keep the wrap in place.

a20saH.jpg

I also used the woodburner to put the lettering on the staff.

cN1Xop.jpg

And a gauge at the bottom so it can be used to measure the depth of the snow, mud or whatever else you get into.

1dhgkB.jpg

Once the decoration was finished, I put on three coats of tung oil, letting it dry a day or so  and then a light sanding between each coat. This brings out some of the grain in the wood and cures to give it a waterproof finish.  Take  a little extra time to make sure the little spots and cracks are soaked very well.  Over the years, additional coats can be applied to maintain the finish.

For the wrap, I used two strands of paracord, one black and one yellow.  I did a spiral wrap on this one, which looks a little different but is very easy to do.  A small compass is attached to a piece of leather that is set into the staff under the wrap.  This may also be used to attach a shoulder sling.

xvbnyb.jpg

Here is the finished staff.

3k3vST.jpg

This will be auctioned off at the Under the Harvest Moon Festival to benefit Hartman Reserve next weekend.

Had to take the finished hiking staff out for a test run before handing it over to the wonderful folks at Hartman.  It worked well - I didn't faceplant...and a great day to be out in the woods.

c9GN0j.jpg

n69QXd.jpg

SYvLRh.jpg

7ii0v7.jpg

thats an awsome job on the stick Ofg. anyone would be proud to own it. and great that it is used to get money for hartmen. two thumbs up big guy  :thumbsup: