WildSurvive Forum
oldfatguy

Birds in 2015

Have you ever done a Christmas bird count?  If you haven't I highly recommend doing one. You won't see a huge variety of species but it's a great way to meet some local birders.

You can also count them if you are able to Identify the bird by its call.

i want to see them. Hearing their call is a great help, but want to see them to learn how to identify them by sight as well.

Have you ever done a Christmas bird count?  If you haven't I highly recommend doing one. You won't see a huge variety of species but it's a great way to meet some local birders.

I've done a couple feeder watch counts. The Christmac count sounds like fun.

Saw a northern flicker on Thursday, another on Friday and then watched two feeding out in the field this morning.

A female northern flicker was hanging out at my feeder this morning. Apparently they are quite fond of suet.

Add bluebird to the list.

Ruby-crowned kinglet.

I saw one of these for the first time last year and when I started my list this year, I was wondering "Ok, now how am I going to find another one of these little guys?" Answer: Sit in my backyard with the binoculars.  lol  Interesting how these little guys can make so much noise.

Pair of wood ducks sitting under the house.  Yesterday I watched a pair of mallards walking through the yard.

you have alot of birds at your place

And more now, Kim. Male and female wood ducks showed up this afternoon. I think it is more paying attention than anything.

I actually looked at that ruby-crowned kinglet yesterday and thought sparrow. Just then it let loose singing. I looked again and noticed the wing bars and that it was olive colored, not grey.

Sitting in the backyard this afternoon, identified two more I have never seen before - a rusty blackbird and a fox sparrow.  They both came up and sat in the ash tree in my backyard.  I was able to put glass on them, watch them for a while and listen as they called. I had been hearing the rusty blackbird for a while, but had no clue what it was. 

If you don't have it, Merlin Bird ID is great.  You put in your location, date, size of the bird, colors, where you saw it and it returns a list of possible birds. These have pictures, descriptions and recordings of the various calls. I used this to find these two birds and then listened to the calls, which confirmed what they were. Plus, it is a free app!

Brown thrasher showed up today.  Heard him first, took a little while to find him, but he would not shut up.  lol

I think I say a blue bird or a blue jay out on my walk yesterday it was big blue with a plum on its head

Probably a blue jay, Kim.  They are loud, mouthy birds. A blue bird is more reserved and will have an orange breast and won't be a large.

Identified a greater yellow legs today at the pond at work.  This looks like a killdeer, but was wading in the shallow water (killdeer do not seem to go in the water) and has a long pointy bill. I heard it yell when it flew and was able to confirm this using a recording in Merlin.

Also, the dark eyed juncos have moved north.  I have not seen any here since last week.

thats a funny name greater yellow legs  happy097.gif

Yeah. They are larger than the lesser yellow legs.  Care to take a guess as to the color of their legs??