WildSurvive Forum

Dave the Bottom Dweller and I are going to try making some maple syrup this spring. The hard Maple trees should be ready to tap for sap. Here is a link for some great survival and off the grid supplies where I ordered my sap gathering supplies.Ive had good luck in the past using the stainless turkey deep frying pans and the gas stand to boil the sap down.

https://www.lehmans.com/?partner_id=bcbgoog&gclid=CKLfzJ-xlsQCFcRafgoduSsA3g

Maple Syrup Festival at Hartman Reserve started today and runs through tomorrow. I spend them morning collecting sap and showing people how we tap the trees and hang the buckets. By this afternoon, most of the trees were starting to drip. It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup.

Ive made it before the most important thing is to NOT burn the whole batch.  :cry:  Ill start tapping the four trees in my yard tomorrow. The Amish have already started we saw today.

First bucket of Sugar Maple sap. I use a close nipple and a spade bit and drill a 2 inch deep hole drive or thread the pipe into the hole. It usually starts dripping instantly.

ice%20out%20001_zps8emvznl5.jpg

ice%20out%20002_zpsdss3ia1z.jpg

I should have enough to start cooking tomorrow. Ill post pictures as I go Kim.

Theres is natural sugar in maple sap that wont boil away so you boil out the water that is 99% and you have syrup Kimmers.

Never boil it in your kitchen( i think thats when my marriage ended, lol) it will get all your walls sticky. and watch it carefull. burning it is bad.  there aint nothing better than real maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.  good luck with it swede. save some for some pancakes at the next farmageddon.

Im going to take what Ive got the sap quit running for some reason.This is the last of the soft maple sap then Im going to boil down the hard maple.

FSULEt.jpg

2F7chx.jpg

Heres the yeild from nine gallons of soft maple sap. I havent finished my hard maple yet.

uBSGWW.jpg

Soft maple grows bigger, faster and the wood isnt as valuable as hard maple. It puts out a lot more sap but it takes more boiling to make syrup. Actually this batch is turning out better then the hard maple batch.