WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SGH

lock picking

Has anyone ever thought of keeping a set of lock picks for a shtf scenario?

I have a small set of picks i kept from my locksmithing course i took some years back and i was recently reading about keeping a set of lockpicks in a BOB to increase survival chances.

Im just wanting to know if anyone else has a set of picks or has thought about it

Research the laws in your area.  In some places just possessing them can be a crime. (and with your driving and over the road work you may be committing a crime and not even know it.    But it is a useful skill.  I've gotten several locks off after keys were lost. 

I have researched the law in regards to possesion of lock picks and locksmithing tools

I have mine because im taking a locksmith course i dont ever carry them with me anywhere i use them at home for my course work.

Thanks for the input doc

I think in the shtf scenario they will just shoot the dam thing off. Good point SGH. 

in shtf, a bolt cutter or a breaking bar will suffice.  Particularly if you don't wish to save the door latch.  heck a screwdriver can rip most door latches off if your not concerned with locking it back up again.

Good point doc

I think the lock picks would be useful where discretion is advised or where securing the door back would be an issue.