WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MrCoffee

Waterproofing...

Hey everyone,

A few nights ago it rained like the sky was falling, and for the first time my Columbia shell let some of the water thru. I was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion of a waterproofing product to seal it back up? Or for that matter, boots, tents, etc.

Thanks!

MrC

I use an inexpensive spray on product called * Kiwi camp dry*.  It works pretty well on HD fabrics and boots.  I did a search for the product and these others were listed as alternatives.

WELT SEAL 2 OZ BOTTLE | SNO SEAL JAR 8 OZ | SILICONE WATER GUARD | WATER PROOFER 10.5 oz. | WATER PROOFER 5.5 oz. | SEAMSURE 2 OZ | SILNET 1.5 OZ | SEAL CEMENT 2 OZ TUBE CLEAR | SEAL CEMENT 2 OZ TUBE BLACK | SEAM GRIP 1 OZ W/ BRUSHTIP | SEAMGRIP 1/4 OZ KIT W/ PATCH B | SEAMGRIP 1/4 OZ KIT W/ PATCH C | K-KOTE SEAM SEALER #3 | K-KOTE RECOAT 10 OZ | COTOL-240 1/2 OZ CURE ACCELERA | AQUASEAL 1 OZ TUBE | AQUASEAL 1 OZ TUBE/COTOL-240 1 | McNett MIRAZYME ODOR ELIMINATOR 2 OZ | AQUASEAL SEAM SEALER | AQUASEAL POLYCOAT 8 OZ | Nikwax Waterproofing for Textiles - Polar Proof 10 oz. |

Does ScotchGuard work on tents?  I use it on clothing and it is fine, but I don't know about tent material.

Well I am not sure where exactly it was leaking from, it might have been the stiching around the vent zipper, or the material in that area itself.

I have a number of waterproofing products, but I was wondering if anyone had better suggestions, especially something that didnt "rubberize" the appearance of the cloth.

I used to use Thompson WaterSeal on my canvas tents when I was a kid, and it worked great.  I would get a spray bottle and fill it and just spray it down.  I'm not so sure that it would be a good idea on a nylon tent.  I've not tried it, but I just have a bad feeling about it.