WildSurvive Forum

We just got back from hiking and camping for 10 days and this little guy got used every day.

It is small, compact and pretty rugged (it held up pretty well).

This is the Optiums Crux camp stove.  It all packs in the included pot (which has a heat sink on the bottom to make it more efficient) and lid (which I also a pan). It includes the stuff sack to keep everything together.

UDKQLUC.jpg

Here is the entire kit.  In front is the gas cylinder with the burner inside the sleeve, which then attaches to the cylinder.  It fits nicely in the underside dish of the gas cylinder.  On the left if the lid/small pot and next to that is the larger pot, which will hold 4-5 cups of water.  When packed, the cylinder and burner slide down into the larger pot and the lid goes over the top. There is room for other items inside the pot, such as a lighter.    As you can see, the pot has folding wrap around handles and the lid has a handle that folds up over the top for storage.

6F35jRb.jpg

The burner screws on to the small gas cylinder, which provides the base. Arms above the burner flip out to support the pot.  Above the connection to the cylinder is the control valve.

eKoWcNz.jpg

This thing worked very well.  It would boil a full pot of water in just under 2 minutes.  The cylinders last quite a while.  In 10 days of use (using it every morning for breakfast and every evening for dinner) we used up one cylinder (this was partially used when we tested it a couple of times before the trip), and the first cylinder didn't run out until day 9.

Here are the specs from their website:

Average boil time for 1 L of water - ~ 3 min/1 l water, depending on climate, altitude etc.

Average burn time: up to 90 min at maximum output (230 g canister)

Dimensions (in): W 1.3 x H 3.0 x Ø 2.2 (unfolded), 1.3 x 3.3 x Ø 2.2 (folded)

Dimensions (mm): W 34 x H 76 x Ø 57 (unfolded), W 34 x H 84 x Ø 57 (folded)

Fuel type: Butane/propane gas canister (not included)

Kit includes"Burner with valve and stuff bag

Output (BTU) 10200

Output (W) 3000

Technology Gas

Weight (grams) 83

Weight (oz) 2.92

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-crux/

i have the same stove and have been using it for years now. its my goto, it works even better if you add a jetboil pot with a heat reclaimer on the bottom. boils 2 cups of water in about 2.3 minuts. those little fuel bottles last me about 45 min. so you get alot of time out of one. and you can still turn it down to simmer.

I've been eyeballing that stove for a while.  Figure if I ever need to replace my Coleman exponent, this would be the guy.

Ive got one of these. I keep it in my car for winter driving in case of an emergency it will keep the car warm for a good while.

Q7PAkX.jpg

Ive got one of these. I keep it in my car for winter driving in case of an emergency it will keep the car warm for a good while.

Q7PAkX.jpg

I just got one of those too, Swede. It was $10 on Amazon and works like a champ. It is a little larger than the Optimus, but like having the starter built in.  I also already had an MSR pot with a lid that the cylinder and burner will pack into.

what about the price

Sorry, I forgot to put that in, SG.  My son bought this entire kit for $65, which includes the titanium pot and pan (also the lid) and stuff sack. A cylinder will fit inside the pot with the burner with a little room to spare for a few other things when it is all packed up. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXOJUFK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000NNHYCG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07XZGCJQX3XRH9GMG1CB

very interesting how safe is it gas scares me

It is gas, so it is flammable, however, unless  you puncture the can, it is all contained. The gas cylinders are $5-$6 each and seem to last quite a while.