WildSurvive Forum

Hi all,

Just curious as to what hiking tents you guys use and recommend, or don't recommend for that matter.

I'm going for a 6 day hike in a few weeks and am thinking I may need to upgrade.

I currently have a cheap 2 man dome tent which has worked well for me so far however this trail is a bit more serious and recommends a 4 season tent.

Any help would be good.

Alps mountaineering.  Good tents for decent prices. We use the tourus models with our troop. Great tents.  Me im with ofg. Hammock camping is the bomb.

Any of the guide gear teepee tents from sportsmansguide.com

I have used one for the last few years cant beat the room although it takes alot of time to setup.

I also used a military poncho setup in a teepee fashion when I used to overnight camp regularly

This track has designated tent platforms so hammocks are a no go. I think it will be too cold for one anyway.

Those Alps Mountaineering tents look not too bad, but unfortunately they are not sold in Australia.

Not a big fan of teepee tents, this one which they call a backpacking tent weighs in at 7lbs which is a bit much for my liking.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-backpacking-teepee-tent?a=1677985

I ended up getting a Marmot Tungsten. I prefer the free standing tents as I have camped on so many surfaces where tent pegs are a pain to get into the ground. I liked the bent pole design that gives you more internal room as well.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/marmot-tungsten-2p-hiking-tent-blaze-sandstone/987509382

Thanks for the feed back!

Looks like a great find Captain.  It looks similar to the one my son uses which is very stable and easy to set up and take down.  Let us know how it works for you.

Those work ok as a thermal wrap but far to fragile for anything but emergancy use. Ive tested one before with very poor results. I keep one in my emergancy bag though.