WildSurvive Forum
bobimbob

Survival or Bushcraft a difference?

Do you see a difference between survival and bushcraft?

How so?

How do you seperate either subject?

What do you practise the most?

I see a different mindset between the two participants, but the skills can actually be the same.  In fact, I would venture to say, that a good portion of those that participate in Bushcraft, also participate in survival and vise versa.  By mindset, I suppose that the average survival enthusiast is preparing and developing skills in order to survive different and difficult situations, within different environments, with varied conditions that are thrust upon them with little notice and not of their own choosing.  Whereas, the bushcraft enthusiast chooses the environment, conditions and situations that they enter into as a part of their lifestyle, hobby or sport.

I would consider myself to be a survival enthusiast that didn't know bushcraft existed until a few years ago, but have been practicing woodsman skills since I was knee high to a tall Indian.  So...........would I be a bushcrafter,  woodsman, survivalist or just somebody that used to be a boyscout? :D

Guest smallgamehunter

u practice what some would call bushcraft skills in survival so yea i would say they are the same to an extent

I think survival and bushcraft are different. I agree with RA. I think the skills are the same, but survival means no choice and bushcraft means all choice. Thats the difference.

Guest smallgamehunter

i can agree i guess that would be the extent that i see them being the same

You've hit on things that separate the two groups. Take a picture of each group. You can't tell who is survival and who is bushcraft!

The reasons for doing each can be different, but one thing is for sure. You can practice survival, but you can only do bushcraft! What that means, is beyond me!

IMO.....survival=sustaining life for you or others, with whatever gear you have on hand, or are prepared to bring, until, eventually rescued.

bush craft=having nothing and able to sustain yourself and other with what the wild provides you( Mesolithic humans)

its hard to believe but 4000 years ago we were tossing fire hardened spears still, using flint tools, etc.

i personally study more on the bushcraft end of it, then what gear i do have is a luxury

thats my $0.02

cheers

I like Falco's explenation the best I think. To expand;

Survival; based on short term goals  and immediate needs, and the ability to maintain life for a finite period of time till rescue or emancipation. I.E. Creates a spear to catch fish.

Bushcraft; Long term existance within a system where immediate needs are already fulfilled, and future creature comforts and aspirations can be planned. Rescue or emancipation are rarely primary goals in bushcraft.   I.E. Making a fork to EAT the fish.

To me, "survival" is a very broad term which essentially means "staying alive"... (I'm so smart.... lol). I see "bushcraft" as simply another tool we can use to assure our survival. The same way knowing a little "automotive-craft" could save your life in the right situation. You don't NEED bushcraft to survive.... but it helps. There are many other "crafts" we should learn that'll someday save our lives... "Urban-craft", "Social-craft", "political-craft".... the list goes on and many crafts cross over to oneanother.

Rick

All good explenations and definations of both survival and bushcraft. And it is true the more we learn and parctice other crafts the better are chances of surviving. Be it short term or long term

Survival to me is dealing with a potentially life threatening situation, where i may need to go past my comfort level to stay alive, by any means necessary, up to and including breaking the law, cannabalism, poaching, killing others so that i may survive etc (ok that was extreme but you get the point.)

Bushcraft to me is outdoor crafts, something to do for fun and to make camping for fun. Bushcraft is playtime for me

Guest smallgamehunter

regardless survival and bushcraft go hand in hand.

it takes several bushcraft skills to survive the wilderness

To me, "survival" is a very broad term which essentially means "staying alive"... (I'm so smart.... lol). I see "bushcraft" as simply another tool we can use to assure our survival. The same way knowing a little "automotive-craft" could save your life in the right situation. You don't NEED bushcraft to survive.... but it helps. There are many other "crafts" we should learn that'll someday save our lives... "Urban-craft", "Social-craft", "political-craft".... the list goes on and many crafts cross over to oneanother.

Rick

I can't believe I missed this thread... for nearly a year even. That was very well said Mice. I see bushcraft as an element of survival. It's true it's a very important one to study, and the one that I enjoy practicing the most... and of course given the choice I would choose the bush to survive in over many of the urban environments on our planet.However bushcraft is not the primary element for all people who are studying "survival" as the subject applies to their personal lives and particular situations.

Guest smallgamehunter

yes bushman europeans call it bushcraft americans call it bushcraft or wilderness skills

us Canadians call it "bush partying"  happy097.gif  :hugegrin:  :grin:  :woot:  :rofl:

That calls for a completely different skill set.

My interpretation is, it isn't "Survival" until you are put into a situation where your choices and skills will determine whether you live or die, hence the term "Survival". Going out and camping in the woods with a knife and tarp, isn't survival per se. What you are doing is practicing skills that may very well lend to you surviving in a bad predicament one day, but the actual skills you are practicing are skills embracing the outdoors, ie. Bushcraft. Of course I don't believe that "Survival" is a skill, but merely an action or mode. In my humble opinion the two are different, example being; if I fall out of a boat in the water, I am going to go into survival mode and swim or try to float, neither of which have anything to do with Bushcraft. Of course this is my view point on the subject and in no way the Gospel.

Guest smallgamehunter

camping to practice bushcraft can lead to a survival situation rather quickly

camping to practice bushcraft can lead to a survival situation rather quickly

Of course. But then again, so can waking up in the mornings.

OK here is my view... as simple as it is

bushcraft... bush = bush & craft = skills... therefore bushcraft is a set of skills related to the bush

survival = staying alive... using any and all available skills you may posses in a given environment that may or may not include bushcraft.