WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Animal confrontations in the wilds

How many have had confrontations, attacks by either wild animals or feral animals? will out in the bush.

Has it happened near your neighbourhood?

In your Yard?

In my very younger days, we (younger future brother in law and a friend) were stalked by a nuisance bear. We had had a good day hiking to the end of a old faint trail (when is a day hiking ever bad :hugegrin:) and we were returning on the back leg. We had made camp, started a cookfire for supper and waiting for the coalbed, when we noticed a bear around the near immediate area. Nothing to unusual, it may have curious about us, so no alarm other than reasonable care, we had our supper and washed out our pots and utensiles, extinguished the cookfire and spent a nice evening planning for the next day. The bear was still around and by nighfall now had started circling the camp, a few well placed rocks on its hind quarter made it leave the area for a while but before the hour was out it had returned. Our food bags hung high in a tree and cookfire had been placed away from our sleep site but it did not deter the bear from our tent area and we started to bang pans and chucking rocks at it, adding more branches to our campfire, still it came closer and closer. Bluff charging us, spending the night was now out of the question with only 8+ miles to the trail head.

Now a terrible fear gripped me :scared: My heart raced, my pulse pounded in my ears, my head started sweating I was in fear for my life....what if the bear attacked and hurt my young future brother in law!!!! what would my future mother in law do to me 8|  better the bear!!!

We packed up (meaning they put all they could in my pack) and by a flashlight and the full of the moon we proceeded to make our way along the trail. The bear followed all the way out even though we chucked rocks all night, it wasn't deterred, we made the vehicle and drove part ways home to a midnight diner and had a coffee before continuing. The Waitress asked what we were traveling from so late at night and after we related the story she laughed saying we weren't the only fellows in the part of the area that had been walked out by a bear that week, seemed the MNR knew about this nuisance bear and no amount of scaring would make him stay away. When bear hunting season came into effect I went back to the exact site and made the smelliest camp possible leaving food out and such...no bear for the 2 weeks spent. I had to go back to school  and couldn't take too much time off so near exam time. Bear 1 Indians 0 

Guest Lead Dog

bobimbob, what would you do differently now?

Great story, bobimbob!  No sense in taking any chances, you did the right thing by getting out of there.

Living in the suburbs, nothing exciting happens around here other than an occassional copperhead snake.  I almost put my hand down on one when I was washing my car.  I quickly sent it to Snake Heaven!    :hugegrin: 

I have been fronted up by a full grown Red Deer, the UKs largest mammal.

I have been bitten by a Hyena whilst in Kenya and my mate was attacked by a Lion. We also got savaged by a stampeding herd of hornets which left our four man patrol needing immediate hospitalisation with one guy almost losing his life before the casivak was even arranged.

Also whilst in Africa, Australia, South America and Far East i have had some very close encounters with snakes, spiders and other insects, many leaving there very painful marks. Whilst in Australia i walked into a large cobweb which collapsed over me and i was inundated by hundreds of little green spiders that started to bite my, they were not bad bites they just burned and stung a bit, i was told to jump in the river to wash the spiders off. I think if i had not been near a river i would have been very sore indeed.

I have also been chased by a moray ell, stung by jelly fish and almost stepped on a stone fish.

But the very worst is having squirrels through acorns at me whilst taking an Autumn walk through and English wood

I have also been in presence of a rabid anima,l which got away, before I could kill it; that was more scary than any other contact so far.