WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LOST

Camp Alarm Signals

Excluding dogs, give the details about the alarm systems you may use in and around your camp.  Since many go at it alone or as a couple, the woods are not to be toyed with when it comes down to the attack of your camp by either four or two legged predators. 

One way I use is, on a black nylon thread I attach "jingle bells" along every yard or so and place it about 12-15" above the ground along trails leading into the campsite . I put urine on the thread to attrack bears to investigate the thread and start the evenings entertainment. 

If I am being discreet, I will cook away from the sleep camp {a habit} (bury the fire pit, if I use one), small heat , move at dusk. Re-establish my sleep camp in a pre selected restricted access area where it would be hard to approach without noise and even harder to find because of where I am situated, and or my favorite option have a cold camp that eve. Again trail bells could be put out at my hearings limits on a off trail that will by logic pull two legged prey away.

A dogs that is properly trained is an asset, the one I have presently is certainly big enough but would overly aggressive  :scared: :box: when he should be awares and QUIET at the onset of events. Woking on that!

When we were younger and camped most of the summer we were constantly attacked at night by raiding bans (our buddies) of other campers. It was all in fun. What I would do is take my fishing rod and monofilament line and tie the end to a bush and just walk a circle around the camp leaving the line a couple foot off the ground. I would than just prop the fishing pole up some where were when it fell it would alert some one or thing just ran into the string. Monofiliment was very hard to see in the dark strong and almost impossible to get past without tripping on it. :thumbup: :D

25-30 lb test is really hard to break especially if theres room to stretch way more than needed to trip your warning. Just make sure the string is not double wrapped around something. Ive also hung beer cans(now where did they come from) in a couple of places. The monofiliment is easily seen with a light on but if you were sneaking up you wouldnt have a light on.

I use to carry a box of string bombs.  Lay out a couple of these with fish line about 12-18 inches off the ground.  They sound like a rifle shot when they go off.  I used them for a burgalur alram in my apartment in Philly.  Scared the stuffings out of the cops once when I was reported missing by my family (long story) and they tried to enter my apartment.  They thought someone had fired at them and sat outside for a couple hours till they determined the apartment was empty.  I also scared my buddy who was kicked out by his girlfriend and let him stay with me for a couple days.  Forgot to tell him about the "alarm" and when he couldn't wake me to let him in one night he tried to enter through my window.  The alert went off and he was so shocked he fell in the window and I greeted him with the point of my knife at his neck.  They work like charm. :thumbup:

Guest taken by the wind...

~  (note to self... never try to sneak into Dave's house...)  8|

Guest Lead Dog

Maybe that day should be today.  Inquiring minds want to know!

Guest taken by the wind...

Maybe one day I'll tell you the story about the two guys who broke into my house.

~ where are they buried?  :woot:

Maybe one day I'll tell you the story about the two guys who broke into my house.

Do it Dave.  It has to be good.  Put it in the tales section.