WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Polar bears

Science – Arctic polar bears have been officially listed as an endangered species in the US - a move that will reduce the risk of the animals becoming extinct. Polar bears will be afforded new protections under the Endangered Species Act

The fact that their habitat is dwindling is bad.  They get stuck on drifting ice flows and when they try to swim back the great distances they wind up drowning.  Their world is changing too fast.  Unless something can stop that from happening their numbers may continue to drop.

Yes that is very bad news, when i said it was good news i meant at least there plight has been recognised and hopefully something will be done to help them.

Guest Lead Dog

There was a report last year of a hunter shooting a brown bear-polar bear hybrid.  I wonder if global warming and the loss of polar bear habitat is forcing them to move south into new terrain.

Yes that is very bad news, when i said it was good news i meant at least there plight has been recognised and hopefully something will be done to help them.

Oh Adi - I wasn't disrespecting your comment.  Just adding info. If they are not put on an endangered species list then no one would spend time or effort in aiding them out of their demise.  That is good news that some recognize the need.

The biggest problem with Polar bears is that the polar ice caps melt off too early and stay melted a longer time before reforming, this shortens the hunting season for the polar bears and does not allow them the calories per day needed to fatten up and survive the impose time "ashore" during the polar summer. They are literally starving to death because they can not eat enough "fat meat" during the fewer months on ice flows. Also the polar ice cap does not reform as large as it once was, so again a negative for the bears. Now as the years progress and the lack of predation with the bears on the seal, walrus, whale, top fish population that they feed on it will also have a domino effect on those species. The local fish species will be preyed upon by more seals, molusks by walrus and feed species by the whales narwhals etc.. Secondary prey species will increase with no balance and stock feed species will eventually collaspe, this will not overnight, just like the "global warming"  it will sneak up on "us" and surprise most.

Indeed Polar bears are travelling farther south in quest for food and making contact with both human and animal populations that are not used to live with them. But this bear was shot in the north so logic would say the a "grizzly" also did some traveling northerly and we can surmise that a polar did also travel south. Grizzlies and polar bears do not get along much, so filling a "seasonal need" must have been the catalyst, this may happen occasionaly as does black and grizzly matings, do occur occasional.

What has me concerned is that with the explosion of northern "Ecco tourism", encouters with polar bears may be a factor in the furture. Polar bears do, if no other fat food source is available, hunt humans, just a fact of nature!

As I type I look out and see less that an inch of snow on the ground Jan. 3rd, 2007????

So far we are at least 10 deg C higher than the norm.

Here in Illinois we are missing again our ice fishing. We catch a lot of pan fish in the winter around here and for the last few years this has been spotty at best. Since a lot of lakes and ponds are easily over populated with pan fish the control gained from ice fishing may have far reaching effects. It remains to be seen.