WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Adi

Chris Janowsky

I came across this guy Chris Janowsky today for i believe the first time . Have any off you heard of him, is he any good, can any of you tell me if any of his books, videos and stuff any good?

I see he designed the WSI Gold Label Wilderness Survival Kit which to my mind does not look that good but that's just me. Ant of you got any of his stuff and like to comment whether its good, bad or indifferent.

Adi,

He lived up in Tok Alaska. I never really heard anything bad about his school or classes that he and other instructors taught. He has since passed away. His kits were just what they were. Like you have said survival kits in a can. He also produced fishing survival kits and a survival fishing reel that you could lash on to a pole. He did make some great fire starters and sharpners. He was a Viet nam vet who came back and decided to teach people survival/bushcraft and to live out in the bush.

I am looking for the fishing reel so I can make a pattern and then make some to put with my kits and others who might want them.

I think the Ray Mears idea of a beer can (or soda) wrap the string around it and hand throw the weight with your right hand while holding the can in you left. Point the can bottom out and let the coils of string slide off. Wind the string back on when retreving the bait. Reverse if your left handed.

Mr, Janowski, RIP, Was Ex-SF from as above, the Nam war. He was good people, very dedicated to his family,craft, and students. He developed many systems over the years, allot of which is written about in his book, Survival, A Manual that could save your life. I don't know how much of his product line is still available, but www.survivalsheath.com, has some of his stuff. Chris's web page is closed, so the above site might be the best source, though I don't know what's available on E-Bay. Regards, Jim

Aligator Jim - Awesome site.  :thumbsup:

I have to hide my money so I don't use anymore after buying that Surefire.  :greed:  Ching-Ching.  :grin:

Aligator Jim - Awesome site.  :thumbsup:

I have to hide my money so I don't use anymore after buying that Surefire.  :greed:  Ching-Ching.  :grin:

LOST, money well spent, is never money wasted. Regards, Jim

Most of my knowledge of Chris Janowski comes from articles written in a magazine that no longer exists called "Practical Survival". His articles were well written and though that was several years ago most of them still stick in my head. While a lot of his stuff was area specific to the northern parts of the globe (his school, The World Survival Institute was in Tok Alaska) he had a very possitive mental attitude and I remeber his instructional articles on improvised shelters, and quartering and storing large wild game in the wilderness, and how to be prepared for Alaska in the spring the best.

Chris was a big influence on my thought processes, more than I realized at first. A friend who is also a writer sent me two of the fire starters from the World Survival Instutute last year for my birthday one is a hotsparks P-60. It is an awesome gift which brings back a lot of memories of reading Chris' works. I wish I could have gone to the institute for classes.

Here is the P-60 with sme other fire starters.

DSC_5577.jpg