WildSurvive Forum

I wear my reading glasses but goggles wouldnt be a bad idea. If your finger isnt bleeding your doing some thing wrong.  :D  Obsidian is the best you can find. Think glass like material. There must have been some one eyed Indians.

Some home made arrows Ive made from knapped points and one Osceola point I found. The one on the right is knapped.

homemadearrows003.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The black and white feather is died and bought. The other is Barred Owl I found. Its against the law to use wild bird feathers.

homemadearrows005.jpg

homemadearrows007.jpg

homemadearrows009.jpg

homemadearrows010.jpg

Those arrows are great Swede.  I really like them.  I have 20 or 25 shafts ready to go, I just need to pick up feathers, and get some heads stamped.  (I am making them with metal broad heads).  I'll have to get on that project one of these days.    Great works Swede.

Doc

I dont like the idea of home made shafts however survival would demand you make your own. I have shot bows for years and I have a supply of old wooden shaft arrows. I scrape off the paint and scorch the shaft with a propane torch then sand it off till I get the best effect.

The reason is for safety as manufactured shafts have a bow weight rating. Ive had shafts shatter, explode is a better word, if their too light for the bow.

I use a fletching tool for the feathers and recommend fletching glue. A razor, knife or exacto tool works for splitting the feathers. Its really not that hard because the feather has a notch to follow. Ive found the tiny scissors in a Swiss Army Knife works great for trimming feathers. Dont forget to align the notch in the end of the shaft with the feathers. Dont let the feathers slide over the bow when you shoot so align the flat side of the feathers with the notch.

homemadearrows.jpg

My shafts are all manufactured, they were given to me by two friends who shoot.  15 of them are beautiful cedar shafts.  They are rated at 45 to 50 lbs so I can use them in my bow but I'd rather wait until I get a traditional bow.  Still can't decide between a long bow or a recurve.  Decisions, decisions.

I started with a long bow when I was around 10 and you could pull it back with a thumb and finger like a pinch. It was hard to make the switch to three fingers. Now they got releases. Ive got a 55lb. recurve I havent shot for years because of a broke right elbow that wont let me bend my arm enough to get the string up to my cheek. Ive developed a canted bow instead of straight up and down. Its all instinctive shooting and Ive bagged a lot of game so it works for me.

A recurve is much shorter for carrying in the brush but I have never seen a home made recurve.

I've been eyeballing some bows from http://whitewolfarchery.com/    Some of the most beautiful bows I've ever seen. 

I have shot a few (long bows and a dozen recurves).  My father in law has two recurves, one at 40lbs and one at 45lbs and both have 27 or 28 inch draw lengths.  I need between 30 and 32 depending on bow design to reach my comfort level with them.  I can shoot them ok, just not as well as something I can draw all the way.    I still lean toward a long bow but I like recurves just fine.

This is a big part of the authentic arrow heads I have in a lock box at the bank. I inherited these from my dad who collected them over his lifetime. I have a small collection of my own. Not pictured is mine and some stone axe heads.

photos100019.jpg

From the time I decided to try to make arrows it took me two years before I could make a decent point and another year to make these.