WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
outofdoors

Uses for Nail Polish?

Ok so i just got done reading about dipping or painting matches with nail polish to waterproof them,

I have used nail polish for lots of things also like bobimbob said,

I use nail polish a lot to seal off knots, seal in bones, teeth claws on projects that I do, to anchor a thread on a rod or an arrow shaft, colored polish Pearl or white makes an excellent "ghost sight" reference for a firearm in low light situations;  it has a lot of uses as well as putting on matches.

One thing is not to put to thick of a coat as it will require a stronger stroke that may wear through the polish and the sulfur layer of the match in one stroke without igniting the match.

I have also used clear nail polish to get rid of chiggers when i get them it works well.

What other types of uses can you think of for nail polish in the wilderness?

Guest wayne

Sealing a cut?  Like liquid bandage.

That's got to smart. 

I paint my firesteels with clear nail varnish when working by the sea.  They corrode fast with salt water.

Sealing a cut?  Like liquid bandage.

That's got to smart. 

I paint my firesteels with clear nail varnish when working by the sea.  They corrode fast with salt water.

It is important to test the nail varnish on a small area of the firesteel first though as the acetone and other chemicals can react with the metals in the steel and encourage faster corrosion.