WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cid

Stove Versus Fire

Which of these do you use for cooking the most and why? Stove or Fire?

I use a stove. Controlled heat and doesn't damage my titanium pan. Also cooks faster.

I will always prefer to have a fire going and to cook by the fire. its good for morale, its nice to look at and it keeps you warm, it also builds the feeling of security through lonely nights.

I do have a stove though, I use it for backpacking, some parks do not allow open fires, or if its really dry out and there is high risk of forest fires than i will use my stove. for a stove a chose the "pocket rocket" because it is extremely hot and folds up really small. its a canister stove and is probably one of the cheepest around but is extremely good.

here is a link:

Pocket Rocket

I always would rather fire. EVERYTHING cooked on fire tastes better. But I always have my stove with me. It is just not my first choice.

A small fire is always ideal for my personal taste, but I keep a small pack grill to cook on, even if its just to sit the mess kit pans on. It is mainly for the reason of not losing good food in the fire pit. I also carry a small folding stove for windy days when any larger fire will cause trouble. I have a tri-fold windscreen that I place foil over and it helps on rainy days to keep a fire going, even if it is ever so small. The heat reflection is also great for baking some items.

I would have to say fire for me, less to bring, plus I do agree food does taste better over the fire. However, I am looking forward to trying my new can stove that I made. Those things are neat.

I made a couple of those stoves that Alan Halcon designed. They are nice. I have boiled water with it, just for fun, but have not tried it in the field yet. I usually use both a fire and stove depending on what I am making.

guys, i prefer the fire simply because u dont have to carry anything arrownd to start it except maybe some matches considering i dont have the proper conditions to start one the "natural" way :)). i heard that stoves are fairly heavy and awfuly smelly. by this i mean that they leak gas while they're on or somethnig and i dont want to ruin a meal just because the poor quality of the stove. plus, everything tastes so much better on a real fire

I fully agree on the flavor of the food being coked over an open fire.  Nothing like it!  I do go family camping at times and have a three burner Coleman liquid fuel stove that is great for cooking more than one dish at a time.  I don't get any odor eminating from it when I cook, but it is not a propane stove.

I love a great steak cooked on an open fire. I do have weakness though, I have to have pancakes for breakfast so my Pocket Rocket is must have.

I have been looking into buying a Grilliput, I saw this in a campmor catalog and thought this would be alot nicer then cooking on those fire ring grates. Really who likes a racoon poo seasoned grill anyways?

http://www.grilliput.com/02en_grilliput_design.php

Anyone use a grilliput? Thoughts???

Never tried one, but if you buy one, please post a review here. Cooking techniques are never too many if you know what I mean  :happy:

Guest adrenjunky

Fire by a long shot.

Dragonfly second

I prefer to cook over a fire, but in the last few years I have been carrying and using a stove 90% of the time. Mostly because of the kids, but also I am getting a bit older and some nights when I am done setting up camp I simply prefer a cooked meal BEFORE I go for firewood and get it going. Also because more and more of the areas I am going to have restrictions on campfires. (A lot of the canoe in sites dont allow open fires of any sort... no way for the FD to get to them if they get out of hand).

Yeah, it's not like it used to be!  If it's wet, I use a beer can alcohol stove.  Been making them for years.  Quite good at it now.  After finishing that beer, I get my trusty knife out and let 'er rip.  In 30 minutes, bingo!  I burn denatured alcohol ($6.00 quart), and HEET gasline anti-freeze (pure methanol) ($1.00 12oz.).

Everyone is right on the money with the fire.  Everything tastes better over a fire!! ..... but just incase/ when there is a fireban

Adrenjunky, I don't go out for more then a day without my Dragonfly.  That little thing is fantastic.... just remember to drain the water after you boil the pasta before adding the sauce.... that really ruined my spagetti night ... stupid 1 burner :P

I finally got to try my new grilliput. You can see the park service standard grill in the background is is all rusty and nasty! Those were some the best steaks I have had in long time..

grilliputek7.jpg

Cleaning it was kinda messy, but with some practice it think this will become a standard pack item for me.

I made a couple of those stoves that Alan Halcon designed.  They are nice.  I have boiled water with it, just for fun, but have not tried it in the field yet.  I usually use both a fire and stove depending on what I am making.

this is right on for me ... it really depends on what i'm making, if i'm going to be boiling water and i have a stove it's just easier to use it but if i'm going to be preparing food, like cooking a steak then fire all the way  :hugegrin:

I will have to say stove, for one reason and one reason only, because fires are prohibited over here. That does not mean people dont have fires, the scares can be found all over. i do have fires when i know i can get away with it and i always leave no trace.

Always fire...............Never have to pack anything in, what you need is always around you. Plus meat tastes best when it gets that smoky touch