WildSurvive Forum
Cid

Camouflage Or Yellow Clothing

Most people wear camouflage in the bush, so they don't get unexpected company. But in a survival situation you would really want to be seen. So which do you think is best?

I like my camo because it is comfortable. I figure, if I need to get found I can use other tactics like a fire.

I really dont wear that much camo, I like military pants and stuff. but i dont completely "camo up" , I do prefer to wear earthy colors though like greens and black.

I know I'm probably going to get killed for saying this, but I wear my most beat up pair of jeans and a crummy shirt. I definitely don't wear my best clothes out in the bush because it going to get beat up pretty good. I do try to wear bland or earthy colors however so I don't draw attention.

I myself wear old cloth - dark color to remain unseen. I also pach something color strident just in case.

i think it depends on the situation because. lets say you're going on your own on a survival trip. you would love some camo equipment and it would be very useful. but also picture yourself in "deer season" in a location where other hunters also come to shoot that elusive big buck. you would certainly want to be seen to avoid getting shot at by accident by another rookie hunter. so in this case i would prefer some orange or light flourescent-like green.

I usually wear darker earth toned colours. I never wear anything too high visible, rather remain low key. 

I do the same.  No sense in disturbing our woodland relatives too much.  For rescue, I carry a mirror, whistle and LED light with strobe function.

Normally, I wear earth-tones to blend in.  However, in my kit is a flouresent/blaze orange poncho.  If you really NEED rescued, blaze orange will help you be seen.  You can get those really cheap hunter's vests in Wal Mart (hint--end of season clearance sale!) that will fold up in a tiny spot in your pack. :thumbup:

Typically i wear earth tones and jeans in the woods, but when i would camp in iowa in the fall or winter i would always wear at least one item that was blaze, because during that time of year there are alot of hunters out and about, i was always out and about and didnt want some hunter that had been sitting in his stand all day seeing me moving through the woods and mistake my 6'4 frame for a deer, it was just a precaution.

In the non hunting season I wear earth tones even in the fall when not actively hunting (blaze requiered by law). I have been shot at (?) only when I have been wearing blaze go figure?

What they don't see they don't shoot and I do my best at not being heard :scared:

But I do as others carry a small blaze vest in case of emergencies

Yup, I've been shot at when hunting rifle season with the bow.  Mainly because I'm sneaking through the brush (not a smart thing in rifle season) getting close in on a buck.  I was wearing blaze vest at the time.  That's when I figured it would be best to blend and I never had a repeat of wannabe hunter shooting syndrome.  Maybe he was upset that I shot the deer before he did. :hugegrin:

Yeah, I don't usually try and make myself a target either. I like to move slow and quietly so as to know what might be in my area. Especially when trying to maintain a survival mode.

When my wife and I first moved up here to VT, we use to trek around the woods wearing pretty much whatever comfortable clothing we had on. Then during our second year here, our next door neighbor had a calf and a cow shot during hunting season, both had COW spray painted in orange on their flanks.

A year later a woman in Maine was shot hanging out her laundry in her backyard, because she was wearing white mittens.

So now during hunting season, I wear a bright orange hat, and maybe sweatshirt. What I DONT do is go off trail. I stick to marked state trails, on state campgrounds. When it isnt hunting season, I wear jeans or cargo pants, maybe a Commando sweater if it is cool, or a dark colored tee shirt. While I have camo stuff, I dont wear it hking.

I ware camo and the hunters better watch for themselves. In other words they better make the first shot count. Its amazing to me that Illinois hasnt had the hunting accidents you would expect. One reason is shot gun deer slugs only. The have a very limited range. Bow season is really more popular here. Three month season and really takes skill and practice to take a deer especially a buck with a bow and arrow.

One hunter last season accidentally shot his friend and called 911. The operator asked if he was sure his friend was dead. The guy said he wasnt sure so the operator told him to make sure. She heard a shot and the guy says "OK now what?"  :yes: 

I tend to like to be able to blend in, I can always find a way to draw attenion if I need it..., and if I can't, well...the woods is where I want to be when I leave this incarnation anyway

One hunter last season accidentally shot his friend and called 911. The operator asked if he was sure his friend was dead. The guy said he wasnt sure so the operator told him to make sure. She heard a shot and the guy says "OK now what?"  :yes: 

:rofll: That's hilarious!

Ho man, that is funny. :hugegrin:

Even in a survival situation, it might be prudent to wear camo or colors that blend in.  You just never know who's out there looking for a free ride by killing and taking gear, etc., from their victims.

I wear mostly earthtones. I have camouflage clothing that I wear while hunting. I think wearing camo while hiking around the woods sometimes draws unwanted attention. As people have that precived notion of people in camo as being crazy and up to no good. It's the stereotype of those who think most survivalist's are crazy.

Well I stick to camo but I ALWAYS have somethin on me that is more visible if need be....If Im out in the bush I usually have somethin thats blaze orange or reflective in my pack....

earthtones or full out camo for me. I like the dissapear. I would hike in a ghillie suit if i had one, so i could vanish off trail if i saw other hikers.  :hugegrin: