WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Holly

The Importance of Knowing How To Change a Tire

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that for the most part, survival forums are male-dominated.  I thought about that fact and decided that I needed to create a special corner specifically geared for women living in the city, like myself and some others here who love being self-reliant and independent.

This corner of the forum will deal with the day-to-day issues that we women face living in the city.  Hopefully, we'll bring up things that we have found helpful that will help others.

********************************************************************************

THE IMPORTANCE OF KNOWING HOW TO CHANGE A TIRE

Changing a Tire:  I cannot begin to tell you how important it is for you to know how to do this by yourself!  For starters, if you are out late at night and get a flat, you need to know how to change your tire and change it fast, for safety's sake.  Second, have you ever tried to call Roadside Assistance on a Friday afternoon?  I could have changed all four of my tires by the time the guy showed up!!!  Third, it is just really cool to be able to change your own tire, even if you're in a skirt and heels.  Just because you're a "girly-girl" doesn't mean that you can't get your hands a little bit dirty!

a.  Keep a tire gauge in your glove box and check the pressure in your tires often.  Be sure to check the pressure in your spare tire too!

b.  Go to Wal-Mart and buy yourself one of the plug-in-your-cigarette-lighter tire pumps that also has flashing lights and a flashlight on it and keep it in your trunk.

c.  Keep a can of "Fix-a-Flat" in your trunk.

d.  Every time you pump gas, while you're filling up, walk around and check your tires for any nails or sharp imbedded objects.  It only takes about 30 seconds to do this visual check.

e.  Make sure your Owner's Manual is in your glove box and your tire jack and some WD-40 is in your trunk.  You may need to spray the lug nuts to help loosen them.

f.  If you have never changed a tire before in your life, it's never too late to learn!  Get out there really early on a Saturday morning BEFORE your spouse or the neighbors wake up so you can practice without an audience!

g.  Make sure your car is on a level spot.  NEVER attempt to change a tire on an incline or slope.  If you are stranded with a flat and you're on a hill, then just ride the rim to a flat area.

h.  Make sure you've engaged the parking brake and the car is in "Park".

i.  Get the spare tire out of the trunk first and have it on the ground beside you.

j.  Follow your owner's manual exactly!  Do not attempt to place the jack just anywhere on your car.  You may end up tearing off the quarter panel or another expensive piece of your car by mistake.  More importantly, if you do not place the jack in the correct spot, the car could fall on you.

k.  Remember this:  Right-Tight, Left-Loose.  This is the direction you turn the lug nuts in order to loosen or tighten them up. 

l.  Remove the wheel cover if you have one.

m.  Loosen the lug nuts and remove the flat tire.

n.  Put the spare tire on and tighten the lug nuts.

o.  Pack up your stuff and you're ready to roll!

NOTE:  If for some reason your spare is not usable, you can try the "Fix-A-Flat" and tire pump

If anyone sees any steps I may have left out or has other suggestions, please step up.  We are here to help each other!

Yes Holly you left out "look helpless and hope some man stops to change it for you"

Dont laugh thats also part of URBAN SURVIVAL. ;)

In addition to your wonderful post Holly.  Excellent!

Try to get off the main driving lane as far as possible, perhaps turning into a safe parking lot or someone's driveway.  Depending on time of day, it is sometimes better to turn off all the car lights and set up flares a good distance away as a warning.  The reason behind this is, that as motorists are driving tired at night they are lulled into driving behind other vehicles by following taillights.

There have been many motorists killed by other drivers who thought they were in the normal flow of traffic because all they saw were two taillights.  Most of us have seen the videos on police car shows where even police cars are hit by other drivers not paying enough attention.

Also, if you happen to have any other passengers in your vehicle, make them get out and stand away from the road at a very safe distance.

If using road flares, and you are down in a curve and can't move the vehicle, set up flares on both sides of the road a long distance from your vehicle.  The flares on both sides allow motorists to know of impending danger where a vehicle is not only broke down, but that other vehicles may be passing around it into their lane.

Yes Holly you left out "look helpless and hope some man stops to change it for you"

Dont laugh thats also part of URBAN SURVIVAL. ;)

Sweedie-Pie, I already have THAT skill down to a fine art.   ;)

I want us to be able to handle whatever happens in case there AREN'T any fine, chivalrous gentlemen around at the time...

Great posts Holly

For tire changing- make sure that if you get work done at a garage that they put the tire on by hand not with the air gun. Also you can get a 4 way wrench instead of the little one that comes with your car.  It is longer and you can even carefully stand on the other end. Every driver should know how to change a tire.