WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LOST

Skunks

There are many remedies out there for the removal of the odor from skunk spray.

I recently read of a new one and have heard of some old ones.

What do you know that works?

well personally i haven't had the need to try any remedies on myself (thank God)  :D lol but i have seen this on mythbusters and they said that tomato juice actually worked, even better then some commercial products that were designed for the removal of skunk smell, so if i i'd ever needed to do this, tomato juice would be my first choice.

Guest Lead Dog

I know a couple people whose dogs have gotten skunked and claim tomato juice is the best option for humans or canines.

To releive skunk smell expose the items (clothes, kit, body parts) to wood smoke as it will chemicaly alter the composition of the skunk spray.

It will leave a wood smoke smell though :thumbup:

Guest Lead Dog

bobimbob, don't many hunters do the same before a hunt?  Smoke must be a pretty good neutralizer.  Good advice!

Now how do I get a skunked dog to smell like wood smoke?  :)

Well LD, that's how we learnt about the effects of wood smoke. 2 boys who along with their dogs got sprayed were in the process of stripping down and burning their clothes when they realized that the clothes that had not been in the fire as of yet but in the smoke were pretty OK. so they smoked the rest of their clothes and this is where it gets dicy/dangerous....

they concluded that if it worked for them it would work for the dog.. so they grabed the dog front and back and proceeded to pass him over the smoke (fire is still going on) for a while. They didin't drop the dog (thank goodness), the dog came out OK wood smoky but defumigated. So how does your dog like a BBQ? :scared: 8|

Boys will be boys.. but beware :thumbsup: 

That's is one of the reasons we smudge, especialy with sage (not the cooking herb) it does purify and is a deoderant.