WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazy stick

Safety devices for women (and men)

Right now im going to list a few things women should have on them for safety. and of course lastly im going to stress the importance of taking a self defense class.

Whistle - this would probably be on of the simplest things, and of course its not used as an offensive weapon but a Fox40 whistle will carry farther than a scream and may deter any attacker.

Mace/Pepper Spray - this is of course an obvious, its always mentioned and always talked about. no woman has ever NOT heard of it. why? because there is a reason! IT ROCKS!

can you think of any other ranged weapon that you can just buy from a store and carry in your purse/pocket that will instantly stop an attacker? besides a gun, there isnt too many other things that will legaly do so and are so easy to get. (also, they have mace that you can put on keyrings, so they arnt big and bulky. you can also usually buy practice canisters)

tasers - these are a little extreme sometimes. and they are deffinatly NOT legal everywhere, seriously, check your local laws (city,state, and county). but they will work.

Kubaton - Many people have seen these but not know what they were called. these things are GREAT. they act almost like a roll of quarters in your fist to make punches more damaging and they also usually have a spike on one end to use to focus all energy into one area in a hit. you can use to hit the temple, any nerve, and pretty much any hit will cause pain. they are also somthing that goes on your keychain. so you can always carry it around with you. they are also legal (as far as i know) everywhere. and you often see police carrying them with their keys. 

knife - well i wasnt going to list this, but i decided to anyway. seriously women and men. a knife fight is not like you see on the movies. and cutting someone isnt somthing a normal person can just do, if you are able to find a place to learn knife fighting techniques than deffinatly go and learn, often there are seminars in martial arts schools on the subject as well.

also, on the knife subject. i would like to say that its more important to know how to defend yourself from an attacker with a knife, than too know how to fight with a knife. learning evasive techniques and footwork, as well as knife disarms combined with wrist locks would prove to be extremely effective. especially because most attackers with knives dont come right up to you with a knife, usually you dont know they have a knife untill its at your throat. thus not giving time to pull out an equalizing weapon.

flashlight - this is a really good one. they can be used to temporarily blind an oponent when in a dark place (we all know what its like to be in the dark and have someone turn on the lights or shine somthing bright in your eyes really quickly. it can also be used as a club. the police use Maglights which are somwhat heavy and bulky but there are many different sizes that can be bought.

--------------------On Self Defense--------------------

I really really cannot stress enough how important it is to take self defense classes. not only do you get your body in shape but you will be more confident and you wont be scared stiff if ever attacked. most people with no training when confronted panick on the inside and dont know what to do. people with training act on instinct and quickly go into action. which catches attackers off guard because they dont expect to be attacked themselves. My girlfreind is a womens kickboxing instructor in oak park, illinois. she loves passing on her knowledge of self defense to other women and although alot of them are there to get into shape she feels great that they are also learning to kick major butt. I teach kids karate at the same school and am in training to teach adult classes and hopefully later teach jiu-jitsu and judo classes as well. and although we both teach. we both train every day. and on the days we arnt teaching we go to classes and learn ourselves. you can really never be too prepared.

I hope to someday have my own martial arts school. and one of my goals is to have free self defense classes for women weekly, because I cannot stress how important it is for all women to know how to defend themselves. untill I can provide free classes you should research the local schools in your area and find one that would be suitable for you. I suggest looking at where the police go to learn. kickboxing, mixed martial arts, judo, jiujitsu, there are tons of great types of martial arts. Do your research- find whats best for you!

also, if you want to learn weapons fighting, and defending yourself from a knife, aikido and kali are the sweetest forms. aikido is half hand to hand, and half weapons where as kali is all weapons but the techniques work without any weapons. kali is what they teach the military branches for knife fighting techniques. Paul Vunak is the one that taught the navy seals and many other divisions of the military their knife and other hand weapons combat, and he was teaching them kali (also known as escrima).  those same techniques were taught by paul vunak to my teacher which was paul's protege. and are now being taught to me. and HOPEFULLY I will have some short videos out to you women to teach some evasive techniques and disarms.

paul still teaches in the california area but i believe its more for corporate protection and it is also very expensive to take private lessons from him. although very worth it.

LINKS!!!!

http://www.fox40whistle.com/ - fox40 whistles

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/kub.htm - kubatons

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/ - pepper spray

http://www.maglite.com/ - maglite

Good to know, and practicing with whatever items you choose is a must for defense.  Take care not to take the offense though.  Know when enough is enough and leave the rest up to the law.

Learn to use whatever is at hand.   Use whatever is available to grab and turn into a weapon.   Throw anything to distract their eyes from you in particular, if even for a split second.  Then use anything in the eyes to disengaged their attack.  Hair Spray, Alcohol, Vinegar, Salt,etc.  - all legal to carry and work great.  Even a simple fork can do some serious injury if placed just right.  No law against carrying a good fork around, concealed or not.  I keep an old dog's choker collar in my pocket.  The chain links hurt like he]] and can inflict serous injury to an attacker.  If you wrap your hand up in one and punch with the metal instead of your knuckles, it will hurt you less and make your opponent wish he had faster feet.  Inflict some serious welts.

Yes you should always train and practice with the items you choose. Be careful where you test the mace...., I had some CS and Pepper mix and was out in the parking lot of a laundry owned by friends and managed by my best friend. I was in the back of a side parking lot and just barely squeezed the trigger to release a short burst. I watched the little cloud of mace spread a little and drift on the breeze along the side of the building and around the corner headed to the front door which made me a little nervous so I ran to make sure the door was closed and no-one was going in or out but the cloud never made it to or past the closed door. Unfortuneately the air intake for the airconditioning unit was between the corner and the front door and as I just stood there in a state similar to shock looking through the windows people started havinging difficulty breathing and came stampeding out the door rubbing their watering eyes and wondering what the heck was going on. I sometimes wonder if maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut as I had tossed the CS in the back of my truck when I started to run to the door, but that's just not my style so it was a bit rough explaining to Wayne and Anita, the owners who were there, and Ron what had happened, the laundry was unusable for about thirty minutes and I felt really bad with fifteen customers giving me really dirty looks, though one giggled. However...., I definitely made a mental note of the effects for future reference :)

Mist, that's a great example of Murphy's Law in action. 

Pepper spray is a potent chemical, and it can really wreck your day.  Just remember that your keychain is NOT the best way to carry pepper spray or Mace.  If the cannister is on your keychain, yes, it IS easy to find.  BUT--when you start to unlock your car door (if you aren't using a key fob/remote switch) that your pepper spray is out of action for the time it takes to get the door open.  Just try standing there at your car door with the key in the lock and see how useful the spray will be at that moment.  Experienced criminals will choose that moment to approach you.  Beth, one of our sales reps, was carrying her pepper spray on her keychain until I showed her the drawbacks.  Her reaction:  8|  If your key fob battery is fresh, you should be fine.  But if you have to open the car door with a key, carry the spray separately in the other hand.  Of course, the hard part is when you're carrying a couple of bags of groceries.  Take time to think about your strategy when you are in the position of having to carry groceries, juggle the keys, pepper spray, and maybe a couple of kids.  Think of a plan AHEAD of time and make a dry run or two at home.

Kentucky Bob, that's a great point about planning ahead.

Before getting in or out of your vehicle, always take a good look around and notice who is where and what are they doing. Some years back I had pulled into a Walmart parking lot with my young daughter and noticed a man standing with the trunk of his car open fiddling with a fan belt. For some reason I just had an odd feeling about him. Suddenly he ran over to my door thinking I was about to exit it and tried to get me to open the door.... I drove off instead. Listen to your gut feelings about situations.

Some of the most dangerous places here in Cali are the gas stations. Thugs know you are distracted, so it's best to have a friend along if you can.

Guest blacksmith

here is a good dog

t4ys5.png

Guest blacksmith

that one is Dennis's this is my dog

picture888wi3.jpg

Guest blacksmith

yes she is sweet most of the time but she is a bed hog

Guest blacksmith

yes my feet do not get on the bed at night or she is on top of them