WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazy stick

Where can people like us go in the USA?

I live in illinois, in the chicago suburbs about 2 blocks from chicago itself, literally. and we have forest preserves all over the place and within walking distance that you can hike in but you cannot camp or start fires or anything, which is all for a good reason. but I started thinking. where really can we go? where can we go to just wander into a forest and set up a semi-permanent camp or just a "survival" camp in general with make shift shelters and such where we dont have to worry about if its private property or not?

most campgrounds have designated lots that you use and you cant really (as far as i know) just go into their forest and set up your own camp. if you go to a patch of woods its most likely owned by a private owner and if caught can get fined or worse, shot at!. I know there are places still you can go. and i know when im backpacking on most trails you can pretty much walk off the trail and set up camp. but those places are few.

so help me out, because i think my knowledge of suitable places is just limited. ARE THERE places for people like us? where? and any in my area (illinois) where I can really do a survival scenario like les can do? without having to go get a bunch of permits or hunt down the owner of the land?

Crazy stick, are you an experienced outdoors person?  What I'm really asking is, do you understand the forests in the northern US and do you have the necessary skills that are needed to exist in a respectful manner within the forest? 

Guest adrenjunky

Yes, all over Michigan there is public land that has very few restrictions. Both state and national land that is open to anyone. The only restriction is that it can not be permanent. Shelter can be made out of anything natural. Come up this summer and I will show you some.  ;)

In VT and NH we have a LOT of restrictions, it is very tough to find public lands were you won't getting into trouble for "Survival Practice" usage.

A few months back I took Coffee Jr with me to practice shelter building and we were putting together a debris hut, and the Ranger's gave us trouble about it. We were even using deadfalls, not cutting anything down, but they frowned on it.

I guess since survival shows have been making new on TV, they have had a lot of folks doing silly things like cutting down trees and such in protected areas. :( Of course the White Mountains tend to be so over run with folk (Especially the Presidentals) that they restrict every thin gyou can do.

Crazy stick, are you an experienced outdoors person?  What I'm really asking is, do you understand the forests in the northern US and do you have the necessary skills that are needed to exist in a respectful manner within the forest? 

yes roving archer, I have been learning wilderness survival since I was a wee one, my grandparents taught me young how to light fires with flint and steel, how to set traps, and how to make different types of traps(snares, dead falls, etc), my grandma taught me different plants and their edibility and about the trees. then when i joined boyscouts i learned even more. that just set me off on starting to learn on my own. I grew up greatly in nebraska and was able to go into the wilderness and along the platte river and fish and camp and explore as much as i wanted. my dad did the same thing when he was young so i was actually supported in my exploration. I have been learning on my own ever since as well as getting new lessons everytime i would visit my grandparents or go on primitive camping trips with my dads family where we wernt allowed to bring anything new or any newer technology, only things from before the 1800's.

Now i live in illinois, and i the chicago area so i dont know of many public lands, when i was younger i didnt really care much for public or private but now i kinda do need to worry about that kinda thing.

adrenjunky: I think i will take you up on that this summer. Could we set somthing up where we meet and have a survival outing this summer?

yes roving archer, I have been learning wilderness survival since I was a wee one, my grandparents taught me young how to light fires with flint and steel, how to set traps, and how to make different types of traps(snares, dead falls, etc), my grandma taught me different plants and their edibility and about the trees. then when i joined boyscouts i learned even more. that just set me off on starting to learn on my own. I grew up greatly in nebraska and was able to go into the wilderness and along the platte river and fish and camp and explore as much as i wanted. my dad did the same thing when he was young so i was actually supported in my exploration. I have been learning on my own ever since as well as getting new lessons everytime i would visit my grandparents or go on primitive camping trips with my dads family where we wernt allowed to bring anything new or any newer technology, only things from before the 1800's.

Sounds like you had an upbringing similar to my own.  In fact, North Platte is home to a few relatives of mine, as are some areas in the Ozarks, but only visited there once when I was a kid, so don't remember much of it.

im willing to bet me and you arnt  the only ones around these boards with that kinda upbringing. I am very thankfull to my parents and grandparents for how I was brought up

Guest adrenjunky

Yes we do! I could use all the help I could get. If we start planning it now it should go smoother.

Guest adrenjunky

deffinatly, well, im totally and completely up for helping, arranging, planning, etc.

Cool let me get a couple of ideas together and I will PM you.

I'm new to this forum. i live in teh foothills of NC, There are hundreds of places, to Get lost, or camp primitive, or walk for days withoot seeing anybody. A excellent place is about anywhere in grahm county, in the snow bird mountains, which are in teh blue ridge mountains. Grahm county has VERY FEW Main roads that run through it. OR Ashe County, and Alleghany. also excellent. A few Good hikes with camping is Big Snowbird trail, in Grahm county, and Doughtin park off milepost 238.5 in Alleghany/ashe county. Hope this helps, also for wanting to get away I KNOW WHAT EVERYONE MEANS. once I get outa school for Wildlife fish/refugee, I am going to hopefully move to Alaska, that is the ONLY last Great Wilderness in the US, only a population of a about 600,000, and Alaska is about 1/3 the size of the US. LIVE ON BROTHERS

Guest smallgamehunter

I live in illinois, in the chicago suburbs about 2 blocks from chicago itself, literally. and we have forest preserves all over the place and within walking distance that you can hike in but you cannot camp or start fires or anything, which is all for a good reason. but I started thinking. where really can we go? where can we go to just wander into a forest and set up a semi-permanent camp or just a "survival" camp in general with make shift shelters and such where we dont have to worry about if its private property or not?

most campgrounds have designated lots that you use and you cant really (as far as i know) just go into their forest and set up your own camp. if you go to a patch of woods its most likely owned by a private owner and if caught can get fined or worse, shot at!. I know there are places still you can go. and i know when im backpacking on most trails you can pretty much walk off the trail and set up camp. but those places are few.

so help me out, because i think my knowledge of suitable places is just limited. ARE THERE places for people like us? where? and any in my area (illinois) where I can really do a survival scenario like les can do? without having to go get a bunch of permits or hunt down the owner of the land?

check out a book at your local libray called the grand illinois trail theres 500 miles of trail in northern illinois that go from one side of state to the other and back