WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

Natural cordage tutorial (picture heavy)

I know there is lots of it in New Mexico! It is a great plant.  Isn't it also used as a sewing needle?  Hey Machine do you have to use the certain method described earlier to make the cordage? Or is there and easier way to tie it together?

This is different.  A little...I stilll made it the same way.  But getting the fibers is a little harder.

You'll find Yucca all over the northeast planted as ornimentals around office parks, fast food resturants, and private homes. Its native to most of the southwest of the US from Georgia down through Texas and into California.

If you can find a nice straight flower stalk late in the summer, cut it, dry it and use it as a spindle for either a hand drill or bow drill. It works great.

That's actually my college ring.  I forgot to take it off before going out today.  :hugegrin:

I honestly don't know anything about plants in Washington.  But what I find is instead of looking for a specific plant, I look for characteristics.  I look for plants that are stringy and fiberous.  I have learned more plants that way. 

ok what are nettles.  wacky078.gif

Most people call them needles I suppose but they are the green parts of a pine, spruce, fir, or cedar tree, the leaves so to speak.

Not hard to work with at all, wait for the stalk to die naturally, and the leaves fall off, or chop off the leaves, and carry the stalk wrapped in a leaf.  Then let it dry for a week, mash and make, really easy.

Thanks for the post. The only cordage I've ever made was from tree bark. It works pretty good, but to make it strong enough to do what I needed it was very thick. I am from South Carolina, and milkweed is abundant here.

Ive used willow bark. It peels off fairly easy and while it was still green or wet I braided it. It works but dries out fast and loses a lot of strength.

With my luck, I'd make cordage out of poison ivy vines...:P

It's not your "luck" baby, it's your masochistic nature....  :naughty: :woot: