WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

heres another question

You and your friends decide to take a one day hike in the winter. By the time you get to your trail head its nine o clock. The temperature is around freezing and the trail is fairly clear of snow. Your hike goes smoothly till around two o clock when you decide to take a break and eat your lunch.

Why is this a bad idea?

Swede, is this a trick question?

Are you half way out when you decide to take the break?

Well, let me see if I can mess up big time here.

Scenario: I see the group at the trailhead at 9 a.m. and five hours later someone wants lunch at 2 p.m. 

So far it is still daylight.  Even if taking only a few minutes to eat lunch at 2 p.m. and they are at the most distance they can go at a half way point in time, they still have to get back before dark if it is a day hike.  If they left from the break at 2 p.m. they would not get back until 7 p.m.  Most likely after dark.  That all depends on whether or not the break was at a point of going out on the trail and not coming back in.

Well, let me see if I can mess up big time here.

Scenario: I see the group at the trailhead at 9 a.m. and five hours later someone wants lunch at 2 p.m. 

So far it is still daylight.  Even if taking only a few minutes to eat lunch at 2 p.m. and they are at the most distance they can go at a half way point in time, they still have to get back before dark if it is a day hike.  If they left from the break at 2 p.m. they would not get back until 7 p.m.  Most likely after dark.  That all depends on whether or not the break was at a point of going out on the trail and not coming back in.

That is correct. Been there done that and Ill never do that again. I should have said they were going one way and not in a circle. They will most deffinately run out of day light. You guys are too tough.