WildSurvive Forum

0.9249 % of one gallon is correct. (dam metrics) :curse: One gallon per person per day. Bravo is the big weener :thumbup: :whistle:

Guest adrenjunky

The Right Elevation

You thought you had given yourself enough time for the return hike, but suddenly night is overtaking you as you follow your trail back toward camp, which is still a few miles away. The going is slow as you fight your way through dense foliage in the deep canyon. This broken country is nothing but forested canyons separated by bald ridges. Finally, in utter blackness and feeling the onset of a biting chill, you give up and decide to make camp. You have nothing but the clothes you are wearing. How will you make it through the night?

A. Camp in the deepest part of the canyon.

B. Climb to the ridgetop and camp there.

C. Climb two-thirds of the way to the ridgetop, find some cover and spend the night there.

D. Find the densest bunch of trees and hunker down for warmth.

How about E: wouldn't ever happen because I never leave unprepaired?

And what about F.  "Travel with AJ!"   :D

Edit: Or at least copy his gear list!  :rofl:

I would still build a fire; I always have some gear.  AJ, BB, you guys would live too!  There is reason for the 2/3's way up reasoning.  Too high up the cold air is moving across the hill tops and drops in,  too far down and all the cold air sits on you like a blanket.  If daylight is available, find higher ground.  If it is black of night, you will most likely injure yourself climbing up to higher ground.

The recovery position

If the patient is unconscious, there is a safe position to put them in which allows them to breathe easily and stops them choking on any vomit. However, you must first carefully consider whether there is any chance that the casualty has hurt their back or neck, or has an injury that would be made worse by moving them. Putting them in the recovery position in this case could have serious consequences. If you are in any doubt, and the casualty is in no further danger by being left in their original position, do not move them. Wait for the paramedics to arrive.

What is "The recovery position"

well it depends:

1. if the woman is pregnant - left side. Because on the right side she can even die. Don't know why though.

2. if the the person is injured, with the wound closest to the ground so his lungs are free of blood - again to prevent death.

The mouth should me pointed downward to prevent choking with vomit or blood. And the chin should be pointed up from the torso so the chance of choking is reduced.

Well thats correct. Mrs Swede (the nurse) says even if theres question of back or neck injuries if the victim is choking you have to roll them anyway because they arent going to last long. Unless you can clear their air way.

I aint going to get anything past you guys. Good job. :thumbup:

Could anyone explain why pregnant woman could die if you lie them the left side?

Is this just an urban-legend sort of thing, or is it for real? :)

Any other info about which side is better and when?

There seems to be no certain side for pregnant women although late term pregnancy women SHOULD NOT lay on their back for extended periods because the weight of the baby puts pressure on the abdominal aorta.May hinder the blood flow to the baby and possible injury to the mother.(they tell me) ;)

After reading your reply I did some research and I found that if a pregnant woman rests on her right side the uterus may compress the Inferior vena cava, that may result in death.

I have no idea what that means though.

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Okay.... I am here to lay all Urban legends to rest! LOL!  The Recovery position is On your side... upper knee bent, and tucked forward (to keep you on your side)  The head resting on the lower arm (just how we sleep) with the upper arm tucked under the chin to keep chin from falling down, and occludiing the airway...  It's a comfortalbe position. The whole Pregnant woman should sleep on her left side thing, stems from both folklore and fact...

It's hard for any pregnant woman to get comfortable in the last few months... sleeping on her right side when the fetus is large and growning... may compress her liver, and decrease blood flow to this vital organ, or even decrease blood flow to the baby within... due to the compression.

Guest taken by the wind...

After reading your reply I did some research and I found that if a pregnant woman rests on her right side the uterus may compress the Inferior vena cava, that may result in death.

I have no idea what that means though.

That's if she sleeps on her back...

but either way, these things only refer to women who are far along in their pregnancy...

I address this on the previous page, but sleeping on the right side during late pregnancy, can situate the fetus up agianst the liver...compressing the blood flow through the liver, or compressing the umbillical cord before birth.

Well Ok there you have it from our local expert. Taken by the Wind works with babies on a daily bases .  :)

Thank you. :thumbsup:

You've decided to build an emergency survival kit for your home.Assuming you will have some shelter name five basic items to include in your kit. This should be the top most important and not your private collection of playboy or your makeup kit. :P

thanks for the complete answer Taken.

1. fire starting tool - matches, mag bar etc

2. a good knife - not folded

3. some first aid kit

4. navigation tools - map and compass

5. rope

Oh boy Bravo try again you forgot some very important items. :nono:

Key word is" home" survival kit ;)

I did - of course - but you said 5 basic items. I find those very basic :)

Else I would make a bigger list:

Fire extinguisher

Personal hygiene items

Cell phone and extra batteries

Kitchen utensils

Clothes

Poncho

Sleeping bag and extra blankets

Flashlight and Portable Radio with extra batteries

Food and water for one week

Tools

Cash and credit cards or stuff that could be valuable in case of a disaster :) cigarettes for example lol

Portable file box with copies of all important documents and maps

Food and water is what I was looking for. First aid, a way to make fire and flashlights is the basic items in most emergency kits.

You guys keep answering my questions and than I gotta think of another one. :curse:

Somebody else think of one my head hurts. :'(

Guest adrenjunky

~ Okay.... I am here to lay all Urban legends to rest! LOL!  The Recovery position is On your side... upper knee bent, and tucked forward (to keep you on your side)  The head resting on the lower arm (just how we sleep) with the upper arm tucked under the chin to keep chin from falling down, and occludiing the airway...  It's a comfortalbe position. The whole Pregnant woman should sleep on her left side thing, stems from both folklore and fact...

It's hard for any pregnant woman to get comfortable in the last few months... sleeping on her right side when the fetus is large and growning... may compress her liver, and decrease blood flow to this vital organ, or even decrease blood flow to the baby within... due to the compression.

Just as a side note it can put pressure on the Aortic artery. In a few doc. cases it has caused ruptures in that pathway.