WildSurvive Forum

Er a eh is wrong

Hey Bobimbob is back :wave:  and he is correct>C. snow shelter

Quonset is the correct spelling ( I looked it up to make sure)  :blush:

Uh Survivor Kid it will help you in the long run to eh" LOOK IT UP" instead of guessing. :yes: I guess. :P

Guest taken by the wind...

Will boiling water destroy bacteria and chemical pollutants and make it safe to drink?

~ boiling water at a rapid boil for at least one minute, will kill microbes (viruses, bacteria, protazoans) that usually make folks really sick, but it will not get rid of chemical pollutants. But in an emergency, if you are dehydrated... it's safer to drink boiled water, and ward off deadly dehydration, than it is to be worried about some chemical pollutants. (We probably drink a fair amount of those anyway! LOL!) :whistle: (that's just my take on it.)

I'm not sure, but I believe that most people who get deathly ill from drinking water during disasters, are suffering from bacterial or protazoan infections.

Your both right boiling water will NOT get rid of chemical pollutants but as Taken says we get pollutants any way but hydration is more important. Killing the bacteria is what we need to do so BOIL when in doubt.

This is a touch crowd. Bigblue knows all this stuff.  :salute:

Well, except I'd try to catch a coyote with an arrow fletching tool!

Well it could work wouldnt be easy but ..............

You've been stung by a scorpion. You should..................

A.Catch the scorpion so it an be tested for disease.

B. Try to suck out the poision.

C. Rush to a hospital as soon as possible.

D. Put ice on the injury spot and see what happens.

Guest Lead Dog

C. Rush to a hospital as soon as possible.

Guest adrenjunky

Do you want the correct answer or what would I do?

From those I would say C.

Trying to suck out the poison can be dangerous...

I would like to know what to do - if there is no hospital around though :)

Bravo the "experts" say you are right to" NOT SUCK OUT THE POISION" You can mainstream the poision into your blood stream.

Scorpion venom contains histamines so antihistamines are recommended for people who are sensative to that problem. Most scorpions have venom of low to moderate toxicity and do not present a serious health threat to humans. "They" recomend putting ice on the wound (if you happen to have some ice) and monitor the symptoms carefully. Pain in joints sweating numbness and nausea are common.Sometimes an irregular heart beat can occour and if so seek medical treatment.

So "they" say the answer is D.

I would guess if it was me Id go to the hospital but if thats going to be a problem a sting should not kill you. :help:

Adrenjunky must think the same as me when he says the right answer or what I would do. :thumbup:

So Ill give D and C  :peace:

I just bought a book called "The worst-case scenario" Book of survival questions. Here is one of their scenarios and the answers and see if you can see what I see about the whole scenario.

Shotened version.>Your driving in an area whth curvey roads and your comming up on a hairpin curve and suddenly your accelerator sticks. You stomp on the brakes but that doesnt work so you stomp on the accelerator and it only makes it worse.What do you do?

A.Immediately jump out before the car goes any faster.

B.Continue to drive the car through the curve because the curve will naturally slow you down.

C.Pull the parking brake up slowly to slow the car down and jump.

D. Yank the parking brake up with as much force as you can to stop the car.

They say the answer is C. They say the parking brake wont stop you but it will slow you down enough to jump out. Tuck and roll and all that etc.

What wrong with this whole scenario?

Throwing it in neutral first then hitting the emergency brake is what you should do.  Let the motor blow up if need be.  If you go into a ditch drive directly into it.  If you try to stay on the road you might over turnor slam into a tree sideways.  Driving straight in will keep you from tipping over and the front end is your best defense against a crash. 

Dave is spot on, neutral..parking brake.. I would if time and road conditions allow pull to the soft shoulder to add to the braking effect but still keeping control of the vehicle.

Did I mention make sure seat belt is on.. unless going into a rock cut, over a cliff or a very steep embankment stay with car and get the use of all those safety fearures you paid for when you bought the vehicle. :scared:

Well some people might try turning off the ignition but that is not a sound idea while your moving.  you might accidently turn the key to far back and lockup the steering wheel causing you to lose control of the car.

Well actually Ive seen this scenario twice before but it was before the steering wheel locked up when you turned the key off but thats what I would do if I had the time . By the story the book eluded to the driver had a little time to make some decisions. I would slam on the brakes and turn off the key from experiance.

Once an old farm truck I was driving had no foot feed petal and the stem that was supposed to hold the petal went through the floor board and stuck under it. After my panic cleared a little I just shut the key off.

The other time a ford falcon(remember those) a shield covering the passing gear lever to the transmission got bent up enough to push the foot feed all the way open. Same as before I just shut the key off and stood on the brakes.

Like Blue theres a lot not said in these scenarios so a black and white answer is hard to come up with. The LAST thing I want to do is jump.

At the NEW "speed every where we go drivers" are doing these days and blame their crash on everything else but the fact that they drive too fast. Its not surpriseing that theres not enough time to react to emergencys.

Im not sure Dave but will the steering wheel lock if the transmission is in drive? Ill have to preform a scientific test on that later today. :yes:

Im not sure Dave but will the steering wheel lock if the transmission is in drive? Ill have to preform a scientific test on that later today. :yes:

That a darn good question.  I'll test that myself.

Guest Lead Dog

Yeah, the steering wheel can lock when in drive.  I don't remember the specifics, but it should lock if the wheel remains in place for a bit with no adjustment.  I seem to remember this is a "safety feature" in case the driver is incapacitated.  I am sure someone else can add more detail or correct me.

Neutral and emergency brake applied slowly.  Jumping out of a moving car into a hairpin curve - better make sure you're not on the side of a cliff.  8|