WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Ask SURVIVOR GUY

Horus,

In response to your opinions on Survivorman, I appreciate your spirit in your vision of the show.

Let me tell you how I see it and maybe you will see it a little differently.

Survivorman (Les Stroud) and any other T.V. Personality is first and foremost out to make a little bit of money... I agree. If they were not they'd be doin internet only shows with no advertising or PBS/local channel shows.

Aside from that I agree that he does have a team who (with his assistance) maps out the area, looks for water/food sources, talks about possibilities and trains for them with him. He also meets with "locals" who know the area, know what you can and can't eat and probably eat/drink some of the things with him before the show.

Getting past all that "T.V." junk, he puts on a very good an almost always informative show.

So let's take the show for what it's worth.

It's a show about the possibility of one man being stuck without anything other than the things he lists and having to survive for 7 days (it's always 7 days whether he knows he can or can't get out sooner... He always shoots for a full 7 days to show what one would need to do in that amount of time).

He has trained with some of the best "Survival" people out there and has done a lot of the stuff on his own before he became "Survivorman".

Some would say now that he's gotten well known, he's backed off from the imformative personality he used to be and they might be right but for what it's worth, in the world of T.V. reality (even though reality is never really reality) shows about survival he is one of the best out there.

Let's put it this way, if you are into Survival and wanted to watch something on T.V. about your passion then he's better to watch than Married With Children, Blind Date or Flavor of Love.

Hope this helps,

Gandar

Ok,

Question though, In that epiosode last night in the S.W. desert he ran across an old Native American campsite and did not mention that there had to be water near by. I don't understand this logic. Horus

I am kinda parsel to sheep   :P  but ya Ill try some of it.  :unsure:

I talked with a Romanian on friday and he asked if I was making sheep cheese. He was bummed that we were not milking the sheep.

Something to do tomarrow in the sun? A conversation.

I'll start now and we'll finish tomarrow.

Let's pretend it all goes to hell.

We all sit comfortably in our homes untill the masses start to move. After 3 days, panic has started to set in. People are getting harmed because they had water. After 3 more days people are getting harmed because they had food.

After 2 weeks the masses are moving out of the cities.

They are destroying all fauna and flora in thier path.

They come in waves.

The first wave doesn't want trouble, only some thing to eat.

The second wave is desperate. They were prayed upon in the city and now need everything. They take.

The third wave will be the worst. They will be the ones that took from the second wave and when they have to leave the cities, because there is nothing left, they will be aggresive.

Question? How do you defend against each individual wave?

And remember my Grandfather's quote, "You'll some day starve to death if you don't owne your own land."

Ok,

Question though, In that epiosode last night in the S.W. desert he ran across an old Native American campsite and did not mention that there had to be water near by. I don't understand this logic. Horus

i'm no expert on the sonora desert. i had recently been to the far west side of it for an off road race a month and a half ago and there is nothing out there but DESERT. exsept where i was. the colorado river running through it. one of my best guesses is that the pueblo got a good source of water from Prickly-Pear Cactus. but i'm sure they had a spring or well around as well. but i think it's doubtful that it would still be there. since things change over a few hundred years.

i'm no expert on the sonora desert. i had recently been to the far west side of it for an off road race a month and a half ago and there is nothing out there but DESERT. exsept where i was. the colorado river running through it. one of my best guesses is that the pueblo got a good source of water from Prickly-Pear Cactus. but i'm sure they had a spring or well around as well. but i think it's doubtful that it would still be there. since things change over a few hundred years.

According to the episode the prickly pear gives more of a slime than water. I am not familiar with it at all. Do you have prickley pear in your local?

According to the episode the prickly pear gives more of a slime than water. I am not familiar with it at all. Do you have prickley pear in your local?

our neighbor use to have it in his yard.  i fell into it a few times. but no we don't have the cactus in our local area. we have tiny little things that hide real good so you step on them.... i hate those things i'll find a picture of them.

but the sonora desert has tons and tons of all type of cactus as you saw. if i remeber right you can buy prickly pear cactus that has already been prepaired from the suppermarket. in certain areas.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-cactus.html

i believe he was talking about a differant type of cactus... he did eat a prickly pear cactus in that episode.

I gave the website a quick glance. In the episode it looked like a couple of dwellings which would mean that this was probably a family campsite. The program never showed ruins for a settlement. There were no cliff dwellings. That don't mean that there wasn't a cliff dwelling right over the hill. The way the creek was running I would say that there was water most of the year.  This kind of thing just proves what a valuable tool a map is. When I was in Washington State I purchased County maps that were as big as state maps. They had great detail. When I left there I gave them to my Uncle.

well the ruins look exactly like the ones we have down the street from my house except the ones on survuvorman were more square shaped and the ones we have here are round.

for the most part it's flat so a cliff dwelling wouldn't work.

i think the main direction of survivorman was for the average joe.....or a redneck. some person who gets lost in the back country. it's kinda like what les said in a interview he want's to inspire people. to go outdoors and learn survival skills.

he inspired me. the first episode i saw was the one in utah (canyon lands i belive) and it made me stop because i reconized the area. and before i knew it i had an accout on lesstroudonline.com forum when that shutdown i came here. i'm glad i did because with all the outdoor activitys i do i saw why it would be helpful for me to learn some of this stuff.

i believe he was talking about a differant type of cactus... he did eat a prickly pear cactus in that episode.

The cactus that he said was slimey was the size of a basketball and twice as high. He talked like you slice the top off to get to the slime. I have no cactus of any kind here on the property. Don't believe I want any either even though I have heard good things about Aloe Vera.

OMG Aloe Vera. has realy saved my life... kept my mom from killing me.

short story. i went fishing at camp on a cloudy day, and cold. that afternoon after i was done fishing i was so red and burned. my dad freaked out and kept saying "your mom is going to kill me, your mom is going to kill me" wen't to the town store got that stuff and i had a bath in it. i was looking better by the time we went home.

thankfuly.

well the ruins look exactly like the ones we have down the street from my house except the ones on survuvorman were more square shaped and the ones we have here are round. 

for the most part it's flat so a cliff dwelling wouldn't work.

i think the main direction of survivorman was for the average joe.....or a redneck. some person who gets lost in the back country. it's kinda like what les said in a interview he want's to inspire people. to go outdoors and learn survival skills.

he inspired me. the first episode i saw was the one in utah (canyon lands i belive) and it made me stop because i reconized the area. and before i knew it i had an accout on lesstroudonline.com forum when that shutdown i came here. i'm glad i did because with all the outdoor activitys i do i saw why it would be helpful for me to learn some of this stuff.

I am sorry to say that most ruins here have been plowed away.

I am glad that Les was an inspiration to you. I was being very judgemental because I couldn't understand why a survivalist would get himself into such a predictament. It looked like he was working on a 427 with a pair of pliers.

OMG Aloe Vera. has realy saved my life... kept my mom from killing me.

short story. i went fishing at camp on a cloudy day, and cold. that afternoon after i was done fishing i was so red and burned. my dad freaked out and kept saying "your mom is going to kill me, your mom is going to kill me" wen't to the town store got that stuff and i had a bath in it. i was looking better by the time we went home.

thankfuly.

I have never used it.

I am sorry to say that most ruins here have been plowed away.

I am glad that Les was an inspiration to you. I was being very judgemental because I couldn't understand why a survivalist would get himself into such a predictament. It looked like he was working on a 427 with a pair of pliers.

that is very true even the old grave sites have been plowed away.... but also on the other side of town we have a Dinosaur tracks discovory and they estemate that most of the town had plowed and destryed alot of it.  

last time i was there was 4 years ago and all they had was rocks under a tent now they have a very nice Museum

and they keep digging up more tracks everyday.

I have never used it.

have you ever been sunburned badly?

i have many times

this Aloe Vera stuff, keeping burns coverd from the sun, and lots of water help me so that it's hardly noticeable the next day.

ss-after.jpg

we use to have an aloe vera plant before it died.

Wow...  Well Horus, I think Les is also trying to point out how almost no one is prepared.  Many people have "Itcanthappentomeitus".  He is showing how you can survive without any of those things.

Don't get me wrong, it's just that I have "itain'tgonnahappentomeeitus" LOL

have you ever been sunburned badly?

i have many times

this Aloe Vera stuff, keeping burns coverd from the sun, and lots of water help me so that it's hardly noticeable the next day.

ss-after.jpg

we use to have an aloe vera plant before it died.

I would be interested in the plant. I don't much trust anything wrapped in a petroleum product. (plastic)

I would be interested in the plant. I don't much trust anything wrapped in a petroleum product. (plastic)

lol

well they have a nice wiki on it.

Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

The cave wall????????

Quote from: Swede on March 15, 2008, 09:41:47 PM

Horus is having trouble understanding what Les and us is all about Im afraid.

Ouote from: Askdamice

I don't blame him one bit... I know I had trouble seeing where Les was comming from....

I've watched a couple of survivorman episodes.  I respect his abilities immensely.  He often doesn't do what I think he should, but survival is one of the most individualistic things you can do.  What works for one will kill the other. I thought about the stuff he wasn't doing, but should have been.  It dawned on me that:

1.  One, it's the back seat driver scenario.  The person critiquing Les isn't IN the situation, so you have the ability to look at it from outside his perspective.

2.  In my estimation, he never gets enough to eat...and that is probably the norm for people in that situation, unlike us who live and breathe survival.  I've been in that situation before of being that hungry...it affects the way you think.  I suspect that between lack of sleep, and insufficient food, we'd all make some unfortunate choices.  It is actually educational for those of us who are interested in survival to watch Les and see, in an actual situation, how conditions and the environment can skew and flaw your thinking.

3.  Can you imagine how much he must cringe when he edits the tape, and sees what he surely knows are mistakes?  He leaves them in, usually.  I sometimes wish he would do like a commentary.  That would be nice to have him sitting comfortably in a studio, critiquing his performance.  It'd be cool to see how much of our well-fed and rested commentary agrees with his.

4.  He's setting up those cameras, and carrying them.  That activity isn't seen, but it must surely cut into his ability to do some things, and take time from activities that would garner him food and restful sleep.  We also often make mistakes when we get in a hurry.