WildSurvive Forum

Ok, all major cities have their dangerous areas. Areas where you can find robbers or gangs ready to pick on you.

How do you avoid gangs, and if surrounded what do you do?

Run? Fight? Try to talk your way out of it?

Would you use a knife for self defence? Do you think that could make things worse for you?

I restrict my street fighting to places like Hue, Beirut, and Nasiriyah.

Then I use mortars, machine guns, and artillery. Preferably with air support.

Unca Walt :D

Avoidance is your best option. However, if you are surrounded by a gang and most times gangs just want to beat you to a pulp, chuck your wallet and run like crazy.

Unless you are a skilled in using a knife (like Kali martial arts), I wouldn't suggest it, because your opponent could be skilled and take your knife from you and use it against YOU !

I kind of have to disagree. First avoidance is the key. Try to stay away from places and times that will get in you trouble. If you have NO choice, fight with everything you have. Rocks, sticks, biting, hair pulling, groin shots.....get NASTY! There are no rules on the street only survival. If you have a blade. USE IT! Life you death means just that. Do what it takes so you go home at night. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. You can't worry about them taking it away. Taking out one bad guy with a blade just might be enough to get you outta a situation. If they are gonna kill you anyway......you might as well go down fighting.

Gotta go with Machine.

Mr. Fudd, ya gotta look at it from the POV of the gangbangers...

One thing they do NOT want is to get their butts torn up. They are out for some combination of greed, powertrip, group activity...

One of them getting his nose sliced off is NOT a favorable outcome for the evening of fun.

Like I said before whilst talking about hogs and fighting them:

"When you are in a fight for your life, surrender is NOT an option!"

You want to be the one that their mommy warned them about when they were kids...

Unca Walt

I agree with Machine here... taking one guy down really nasty could save your life - they are not that brave. Hence they do it only in gangs. If you have a knife - the better... strike their weakest link. Many say that you should attack their leader etc.

Well their leader is usually the strongest - and he is involved in this kind of things for a long time, probably. So you should take down the weakest - not because its the highest chance they will run away, but because you CAN.

When they surround you - one thing is certain, they will beat you. You better aswell take one with you.

One more thing....be pre-emptive. Don't wait for them to start beating you tail before you do something. If you are out numbered. Strike first and make it count. Deal with the law later, only survive the here and now. I am going home to my family! Fight with everything you have!

Yes but being pre-emptive could get you in trouble when you are not there already, if you know what I mean. They could just try to scare you and let you go, then bam you stab one :ph34r: ... I think you should wait for something to tell you they are going to beat you. Try talking - if you understand by body language they want to beat you - HIT FIRST. and HIT HARD! as hard as you can... but be careful - sometimes fighting back will make them even more violent.

If they are ganging up on me.....they are already making the first move. They have out numbered me. I am at a disadvantage. I would rather take my chances explaining my position to the police and go home to my family, than wait to see if they are gonna kill me or at the least put me in the hospital. Around here gangs don't usually come to scare you. They are out to beat you up or rob you or worse. I am not about to wait.

You know - running is a good method too. If you are a fast runner that is. Otherwise I wouldn`t suggest it.

Hit first is a good method - if you know they are going to beat you.

Assault is an act in which one "intends" to do bodily harm.

Assault and Battery is the act in which physical contact has occured.

In a scenario where, if even only one individual, yet alone many, approach you with intent to do you harm, you may defend yourself. As long as you only defend. If you take it to a level of having to kill someone, make sure it is absolutely not to the degree of mutilation.

Stay in control and do not allow fear to dominate you. If you are taken to the ground or choose to drop to the ground, use a knife and cut the Achilles tendon and roll away. Keep moving with the intent of never stopping.

In all realism, not putting yourself in a predicament that might bring on a challenge of this nature is the only way to ensure your outcome. In a survival situation, stay away from large groups of people. They most likely have already established a hierarchy of their own law and you will be a victim. Stay away from roving groups.

With all the iron I have in my knee, the only thing that runs on me is my nose.

Machine sounds like an ex-GI (are you, M?).

The FACT of outnumbering is THEIR initial offense.

Return the offense with all you have.

Now that I have said all that... there is another forum (called NoPC) where this question has just now come up. Unca Walt does NOT get in fights. The only times I have been in fights, the outcome was always the death of the opponents.

I answered this thread with the provision that your situation was inescapable...

Unca Walt

No, I wish I was. Do to health issues I wasn't able to enlist. But I have always wished I could have. I have a huge passion for the service! They have my support!

I am just a well informed and well trained. :D I was lucky enough to learn some things over the years. I guess unlucky sometimes with the way I had to learn. :D I have hung with alot of LEO and military and hard core martial artist. I try to learn all I can.

Lost is on the money!! Don't go beyond the threat to you.

Lost do you mean assault? or is it assult the word?

Thank you all for your replies. Indeed the best way to handle such a situation is to not panic and fight back. Who knows if you damage one of them - maybe the others will run. They are not brave, by any means. Scare them :D

Unca - how many casualties have you made?

Lost do you mean assault? or is it assult the word?

Thank you all for your replies. Indeed the best way to handle such a situation is to not panic and fight back. Who knows if you damage one of them - maybe the others will run. They are not brave, by any means. Scare them :D

Unca - how many casualties have you made?

Assault is the proper spelling. (I knew that!) :D

I kind of have to disagree. First avoidance is the key. Try to stay away from places and times that will get in you trouble. If you have NO choice, fight with everything you have. Rocks, sticks, biting, hair pulling, groin shots.....get NASTY! There are no rules on the street only survival. If you have a blade. USE IT! Life you death means just that. Do what it takes so you go home at night. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. You can't worry about them taking it away. Taking out one bad guy with a blade just might be enough to get you outta a situation. If they are gonna kill you anyway......you might as well go down fighting.

Machine has got it dead on.

I live in chicago and pretty much, its easy, DONT GO THROUGH THE GHETTO!!!!!

its that simple. but sometimes you dont know the area or its a new city and you find yourself there. they best thing to do is avoid it. get the hell on a bus (there is always public transportation). i have gone through the ghetto on a CTA bus in the middle of the night plenty of times. they dont (usually) do anything to busses or to other people on busses.

if you get in a sticky situation, try and get out without fighting. yell "COPS!!!" real loud or somthing, hopefuly get them running. try and get into a nearby store or somthing. or RUN if you can. but if you cant. fight like crazy, if you dont fight they are still going to give you a beating just as hard or worse. use everything you can around you and move as fast as you can. dont stay in one spot, keep moving around.

Avoidance is indeed the best way to deal with this kind of problems. But the thing is - you can`t always avioid something like this. It CAN happen to anyone. So being prepared for THAT situation also, can`t harm, can it?

Definitely you want to be prepared. That is for sure! But first step is always avoiding a bad situation. Survival at it's best. Use the most powerful tool you have, your brain! It will tell you if you have potential to be in a bad situation. But like you said, sometimes, bad things just happen. Be ready! This all just reminded me of a martial arts quote.

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position." (knocked out or DEAD) Ed Parker

When I first took my concealed-carry course, the main thing they drilled into us was that you must be in fear of your life to use deadly force.  In any situation where you are involved in a cutting, beating, or shooting, the police will have no choice but to A:  Read you your rights and B:  Question you thoroughly, as if you are a suspect.  You need to realize that the consequences of being unable to avoid a confrontation may well lead you into an interrogation room.  The police will have no choice in the matter.

That said, if--in spite of your best efforts to avoid trouble--you find yourself surrounded by a street gang or thugs, you could probably show that you were in reasonable fear of your life.  As Machine said, in that case it is a case of survival--use a blade, club, teeth, whatever is available.  Thugs like easy victims.  When they see one of their number fall screaming in pain, they will re-evaluate their position.  Eyes, throat, groin, anyplace is fair game, especially when it comes to the safety of my family or friends.  And remember, if it is a gang that is confronting you, letting them take the initiative will only make it easier for them.

well let me chime in and give some good tips and input.

most of the time when you are confronted on the streets by a gang or someone trying to get your wallet. its by multiple people.

first, if they want your wallet, just give it to them. if they are just lookin for a fight (lets say your at a bar and someone thinks they are all that).

use your words and voice, try to avoid a fight.

if that dosnt work. here are some pointers that might keep you from getting seriously injured or dead.

1. do not let anyone get behind you. keep moving your body so that all the people are infront of you at ALL times. if someone is trying to get around you, move so they are still infront of you.

2. your first and primary strikes should always be towards two points, these are: the groin, and the eyes. for the eyes, you can just do a simple quick eye strike, as your first move, for the groin you can do a quick kick to the groin, or bend your knees low and dow a groin slap.

- most of the time these types of strikes are considered to be "cheating" in fair fights, but against multiple attackers you need to take them down as quickly as possible. in survival anything is fair game.

3. keep moving, never stay still, dont let them get an easy hit on you, and remember to not let anyone in behind you. if they get you down on the ground your in alot of trouble. getting on the ground against multiple attackers is the worst case scenario.

another technique that i will mention but only suggest doing if you are trained or have experience in martial arts is using one of the atackers as a human shield. after a good groin kick or eye strike. (if eye strike then get him in a clinch hold or tai headlock and knee him in the groin). hold the attacker in a clinch hold with his head to your chest and steer his body around to use as a shield. all the while using your knees to his sciatic nerve and groin and elbows to the head.  if your sheild goes down (collapses) atleast you have one of the attackers taken care of. and focus on the others.

again, these are tips, but i strongly recomend getting training, taking a martial arts class will be a big help. if they have a class on defense against multiple attackers then all the better. I have been trained in fighting multiple attackers and these are just some of the things that i have learned and practiced.

if you have any questions or need specifics on anything just let me know and i will answer your questions.