WildSurvive Forum

My advice is this.

Avoid a confrontation, keep walking. If some one is shouting thinks about your girl friend, wife they are doing it to get a response from you, to pull you into there game. Ignore it and keep walking, there is no pride in lying in the gutter in your own blood fighting for your life, far better going home with your wife.

If you do get into a confrontation try to disengage and get distance between you. Try to switch that attacker off by asking a question to engage his brain into thought and then push him away and run. If it goes violent fight and fight for your life, your life might depend on it.

If you decide to bring a weapon to a fight only do so if you can justify your actions to a judge and jury.

For the ladies out there always fight, never submit. If you fight you will get over an attack a lot quicker than if you submit.

I am in total agreement Adi with fighting for your life if you have to.  This is especially true if the assailant has intentions of taking you to another location.  At that point they are looking for a secluded spot only to do something far worse.  Stay on well lighted paths and streets, stay out of unfamiliar areas, go with a group, have confidence in your mannerisms.  Never allow them to begin to think you have any fear of them.  Do what it takes to avoid at all cost, but also do what it takes to stay alive.

exactly, if you can EVER avoid a confrontation especially against multiple attackers you should definatly do so. keep walking , try to avoid a conflict.  there is always someone tougher than you. and against multiple attackers your odds are greatly stacked against you, especially if you havnt ever been trained in facing multiple opponents, there is a huge difference between reading how to do somthing and actually doing it.

it takes a big man to get into a fight, it takes an even stronger man to avoid one. dont let someone get into your head by insulting you.

I also believe that avoidance is key even when getting into the situation.  You need to think ahead and put yourself in their shoes... figure out how they are expecting you to react or how they are seeing you in their mind.  Once you can come to this understanding, you play it back against them to avoid the conflict.  I'm reminded of a situation in my high school days.  I went to school with a Russian foreign exchange student.  As I was walking through town one day, I was approached by a few older boys who tried to bully me.  I was a bit of a weenie in those days, so instead of fighting, I did the unexpected.  I started talking in broken English and acting like the Russian kid.  They were so intrigued that I wasn't American, they backed off and stopped being hostile. 

if you did that in this country you would have probably had a worse experience, saddly.

ii once got robbed ...i was with a friend and headed down do his grandma to give her some money... in the bus station were 2 guys ...they got up as soon as we reached the bus station and imobilized us ...my friend who was taller tryed to fight but he got punched in the face ...so i didn't do anyting after i saw what happened to my friend...so ...if you run up into a robber let him do what he does :)) don't get killed

Hmmm... Well I agree avoidence is the best option.  Also if it is a fair fight (One on one, no weapons) then I am totally against cheap shots (Groin, eyes, scratching, pulling hair)  But if outnumbered do whatever it takes!

From a self defence perspective there is no such thing as a fair fight in my opinion.... one on one or not. If its one on one no weapons and your both willing to duke it out it has changed from self defence to a competition. Anytime you are faced with a life or death situation our flight or fight mechanism kicks in... it is unavoidable and part of the human condition... sometimes this mechanism is too much for the brain to process and it basically "short circuits"... thats when you freeze... and that's a very bad thing to have happen. I've seen experienced martial artist fail miserably when this is put to the test. The perfect example is that involuntary spasm you get when frightened by a loud noise. It is a biological reaction and can't be avoided... but it can be controlled and the recovery time reduced... resulting in "quicker reflexes" so to speak. I used to teach self defence and the first thing I would tell a new class is if they really wanted to have an advantage in a bad situation... take their money back and buy a dog... even the smallest dig will defend you to the death (jack russel's scare the heck out of me).

Another wise quote that comes to mind is.... "There is no defence against a sucker punch."

Adi,

You've got a good head on your shoulders, man. Solid advice.

Rick

From a self defence perspective there is no such thing as a fair fight in my opinion.... one on one or not. If its one on one no weapons and your both willing to duke it out it has changed from self defence to a competition. Anytime you are faced with a life or death situation our flight or fight mechanism kicks in... it is unavoidable and part of the human condition... sometimes this mechanism is too much for the brain to process and it basically "short circuits"... thats when you freeze... and that's a very bad thing to have happen. I've seen experienced martial artist fail miserably when this is put to the test. The perfect example is that involuntary spasm you get when frightened by a loud noise. It is a biological reaction and can't be avoided... but it can be controlled and the recovery time reduced... resulting in "quicker reflexes" so to speak. I used to teach self defence and the first thing I would tell a new class is if they really wanted to have an advantage in a bad situation... take their money back and buy a dog... even the smallest dig will defend you to the death (jack russel's scare the heck out of me).

Another wise quote that comes to mind is.... "There is no defence against a sucker punch."

Adi,

You've got a good head on your shoulders, man. Solid advice.

Rick

I completely agree!

You have to be careful about the preconceived idea that if a gang attacks you and you hit the big one they will get scared and run for their lives. Because false ideas like this one can get you in hospital for a few weeks, or worse case scenario a few feet under the ground.

1. Try to avoid the conflict by talking. I have seen guys that can get friendly with the gang-type of people in a matter of seconds. They show no fear, start asking some questions, talk like them, move like them, swear a little, and suddenly there is no more conflict.

2. Try to RUN - as in SPRINT

3. if nothing else works FIGHT. but be careful, don't underestimate or overestimate yourself. Both can prove extremely dangerous. If for example you will hit one of the attackers with all your strength you could KO him and while he is falling on the ground he could crack his head open => Prison for you. I too was once attacked by 2 thieves with knives in the middle of the day in a park. It was raining so there were very few people around, the sad part is that most of the time they will just walk by happy that it isn't them in your position :) I remained as calm as I could, and gave them what they wanted, in this case: the McDonalds food I held in my hands. Yeah I know - pretty funny :D They asked me for money, I gave them the change that I had. That was it. But there could have been several ways that the situation could have gone wrong. If for example I panicked and screamed for help, one of them could cut me to make me to shut up.

Best defence is avoiding the conflict altogether. If you see a group of people when you are walking home in the night - try to find another route.

Guest adrenjunky

Hmmm... Well I agree avoidence is the best option.  Also if it is a fair fight (One on one, no weapons) then I am totally against cheap shots (Groin, eyes, scratching, pulling hair)  But if outnumbered do whatever it takes!

That is good for when you are in school. But if you are on the street and the other guy is trying to kill you, you do what you need to do in order to walk away. When I was in school we had "fair" fights, but let me tell ya the guys who believe in that concept when they get out don't do very well. If someone wants to go that far in the world they won't give up until you are dead or injured to the point that you might as well be. If it comes to it attack, attack as hard, as fast, as violent, as "dirty" as possible: and hopefully you get to go home.

If someone wants to go that far in the world they won't give up until you are dead or injured to the point that you might as well be.

Well said, AJ

I used to be a doorman at a one of the downtown bars and its a different world when you are fighting strangers as opposed to people you see at school. These guys will kill eachother if left to their own means. It's not like the good ol' days when someone said "uncle" and it was over. I've seen people being beaten while they lay unconcious on the sidewalk... That crosses over to the "homicide" side of the fence very quickly.... not good. If you ask me bar-owners should be hiring security, trained and legally licensed in tazer/stun-gun use, to avoid potential fatalities and lawsuits.

Rick

This may sound political but it isnt. The Jena Louisanna school demonstration from the fight where six kids knocked a kid unconcious and than stomped and kicked him in the face was NOT a fight. Your right Mice that went WAY beyond fighting like it was in school. You found out one on one if the guy you had problems with was that much interested in continuing after he found out that may not have been a good idea.Win or lose in those fights at least it got settled.

Today its more likely that a automatic pistol will be pulled out. In this case size doesnt matter.The great equalizer.The question in Louisanna is did they in fact kick and stomp the victim after he was down or not?

Today the media seems to be flaming these incidents to where the media is making news. Orwellian predictions comming true as it were.

I'm not the most well spoken person.... but this is my take on violence of the past vs. the present.

I think it has more to do with the way you are brought up... not just by your parents but by society as well. We live in a time where fear dictates the way we live our lives. The media, the government, and every other opportunist use fear to lead people around by the nose. I don't want to get into politics... I'm just saying that fighting has evolved from the old fashioned way of settling arguements into a life or death struggle.

Why?...... (maybe I am getting a little political.... I'll take that chance, I guess)

I'm not sure about the U.S. but here in Ontario Canada our schools have a strict no contact policy.... That is... gradeschool kids are no longer able to play games like tag, wrestling or red rover(atleast thats what we called it)... no hugging, or some of the finer games like "girls kiss the boys" or vise-versa... Throw in all of the fears of sexual harassment in the workplace, "date-rape" drugs, STD's..... and include the social "predators", terrorists and the fact that people are ready to slap a lawsuit on somebody for looking at them the wrong way...... and you get a whole society that is constantly "on edge". Unfortunately, these are only a few of the fears that we have to live with, everyday. It is enough to make you want to withdrawl from society all together.

Supression is a very dangerous thing to live under, day in and day out.... It makes you wonder that if in protecting ourselves ... we are breeding the next generation of predators and psychological "timebombs".

Okay my mind is melting, trying to explain myself.... I quit.... hope some of that made sense.

Rick

I think you make perfect sense, Rick!  This society has become such a hot bed of repressed rage that it is truly becoming dangerous just to drive to work.  If you cut the wrong person off (accidentally or on purpose) you risk a fight, a shooting, stabbing, or a demolishion derby!

Rick, you've made perfect sense.

My mom told me that societies swing like a pendulum throughout history.  We go from one extreme to the other, with some eras sort of in the middle, depending on the swing of the pendulum.

Think about the Victorian era when sex was repressed and suppressed and everyone was brought up to be oh-so-polite and prim and proper. Well, that lasted for many years but then the pendulum swung in the other direction and the "gay nineties" occured, where anything was acceptable and women were flappers and morals were loosened.

Then a decade later, people got sick of that and the pendulum swung into Prohibition, then the Great Depression hit and then the second World War and everyone was basically just trying to survive.  After all of that, people were tired of scrimping and saving and fighting just to stay alive.  The economy was good, so the pendulum swung back and the 60's/70's free love and sex and drugs and rock-n-roll was "in".

The 80's were all about having fun.  And the pendulum started swinging back to more of a controlling era.  The 90's were about tightening up on all that fun!  And now we're at the top of the pendulum, where everyone is scared to make a move that might call the ACLU down on them...

In some ways, it's good to have boundaries.  But when the people setting those boundaries border on the ridiculous...we need a few good strong leaders who aren't afraid to tell the truth and bring some moderation to the masses...

In the US I am sure its different, having guns available everywhere. But here, at school/highschool/college the best strategy is to not take sh*t from anyone. Even if they beat you, it will be over, not constant humiliation and bullying over the years. But if I was in the US I'd be more careful who I am pissing off.

As far as street fighting, anything is allowed, and best thing is to sprint as fast as you can. In a school/highschool/college/workplace environment I can understand pride/ego/guts, but on the street these turn into STUPIDITY. So yeah running is the best option. Unless you are with a gal, and running away will leave her undefended  whip.gif so you need to stay and fight and let her run  :D After all looks are more important for a girl  :D

i only fought one time in 19 years...i punched one of my friends cousin...

i am a bit dissapointed i've never been in real fight since is very important to know how to fight too...

my dad bought several months ago some boxing gloves ...sometimes i take them out and fight (for real) with my neighbours...just like in "fight club" we can end the fight when we want to...so it's safe ...

but sometimes i don't have the gloves and my best friend starts punching me all in joke ...but it gets serious and we start punching our selfes really hard...i once punched him so hard in the back he couldn't breathe :))

practice makes perfect i guess :P

In the US I am sure its different, having guns available everywhere. But here, at school/highschool/college the best strategy is to not take sh*t from anyone. Even if they beat you, it will be over, not constant humiliation and bullying over the years. But if I was in the US I'd be more careful who I am pissing off.

As far as street fighting, anything is allowed, and best thing is to sprint as fast as you can. In a school/highschool/college/workplace environment I can understand pride/ego/guts, but on the street these turn into STUPIDITY. So yeah running is the best option. Unless you are with a gal, and running away will leave her undefended   whip.gif so you need to stay and fight and let her run  :D After all looks are more important for a girl  :D

Bravo, I have never known ANY girl who would actually run away and leave her boyfriend or husband behind!  Well, unless she was trying to get rid of him...

Bravo, I have never known ANY girl who would actually run away and leave her boyfriend or husband behind!  Well, unless she was trying to get rid of him...

Thats not the time for loyalty - the dude has more chances of escaping, surviving. Plus the gang won't kill him, they will just beat him, but to woman they can do far worse. Its not like in the army, we leave no one behind :)

Ok, all major cities have their dangerous areas. Areas where you can find robbers or gangs ready to pick on you.

How do you avoid gangs, and if surrounded what do you do?

Run? Fight? Try to talk your way out of it?

Would you use a knife for self defence? Do you think that could make things worse for you?

This is a step by step guide to what you must do when fighting a group of people. Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ0T59qKK-s

just a thought: if you could break the rules/bend the rules what about being punched if you can stop bullits what make you think getting punched would have any effect on the person that knows he is no longer part of the matrix