WildSurvive Forum

Stay out of their turf and you don't gotta worry about them.  I figure that if there is something that has made you leave your comfort zone, then you won't be there alone, as many people will have been driven into the area by tyhe same event and the bad guys might just be too busy to bother with you.

Your attitude is as important as any tool you will possess.  Been lucky a few times in my life, because I've looked into the eyes of a would be attacker and had them back down with fear in their eyes.  Yeah, I bluff pretty good for an old man, but a bit of know how and a ton of confidence is easily read in your eyes and the way you carry yourself and they will see it with every look and move your make.  They will get the message and many times will back down if there are only a couple of them, but never let your guard down.  Always survey the group and find it's weakest link.  Again, it'll show in their eyes and that could be your way out of the situation. 

Don't forget that you will need to have practiced everything in advance.  The use of your weapons, your physical conditioning, techniques, etc all need to be in good working order, or you are just blowing smoke and they will know it.

Everything goes real quick in such situations.  If you hesitate while you are trying to figure out what's what, they will kill you.  The old saying, "he who hesitates if lost", is spot on in an emergency.  Think fast and act fast, you'll live to see another sunrise.  Maybe!

Spoken like a survivor Archer. Kill em all and let God sort it out or the police.  :D  One on one is easier but a group is dangerous because of group mentality. Been there done that. The group will stand behind one and egg him on and back him up if he starts losing. In the case of a group the rapid foot defense works. Take one foot and place it in front of the other and repeat as rapidly as you can.  :hugegrin:

Your attitude is as important as any tool you will possess.  Been lucky a few times in my life, because I've looked into the eyes of a would be attacker and had them back down with fear in their eyes.  Yeah, I bluff pretty good for an old man, but a bit of know how and a ton of confidence is easily read in your eyes and the way you carry yourself and they will see it with every look and move your make.  They will get the message and many times will back down if there are only a couple of them

Reading your post reminded me of this scene:

Best advice is to be aware of your surroundings. Unless you live in a really bad area, there is no reason you should be walking through an area where you are more likely to be confronted by a gang. In the unlikely event that you are approached by a gang, be prepared to fight. Flight sounds good but if you let them get close enough to you that you can smell them, be prepared to fight. Fear is a natural emotion, even for the toughest guys out there. What separates most people is the ability to control fear and use it. Turn your fear (weakness) into rage (strength), and take control of the situation. You can read as many books as you want or go listen to a speaker hired to tell you how to talk your way out of a situation but don't be disappointed when it doesn't work, you can't talk sense to someone who doesn't care. With that being said, remain cool because if you freak out, you lose control of the situation.

Don't let anyone get behind you. ( A well place choke hold will cause you to black out in a matter of seconds, and is a very common method of attack. )

Keep moving, the longer you can stay on your feet the better chances you have to walk away with only bumps and bruises. ( Don't fall on the ground and ball up right off the bat. )

If you do fall on the ground, protect your head. A broken rib may hurt but it won't kill you, whereas being kicked or stomped in the head may.

If you have a weapon, use it. Remember that unless you are trained to use that weapon, you may do more harm than good, which leads to my next line of advice.

BE PREPARED! Be aware of your surroundings, and be comfortable with your abilities, so that you can make quick, sound decisions. This will make or break you.

I'm no expert in martial arts, never been in the military and have never claimed to be a bad$#@. I  can't guarantee that you will come out ahead if you take any of my advice. My advice is based solely on my life's experiences.

I started taking Tae Kwon Do last November and it is amazing what I have learned thus far.  It is a lot of fun and the instructor does a great job of stressing the same ideas as above - be aware of your surroundings, pay attention.  As he said in class "If you ever get into a fair fight, you weren't paying attention."

I also helped with a self defense seminar that covered a lot of the things we learned in class, but a condensed version.

For me, practicing the techniques learned in class is a huge help. It hones the reactions and makes many of the things automatic, so you don't stop and think "Hey, there is a fist coming at my head...", you just react and defend yourself.

We are also learning various self defense techniques for someone grabbing your hand, arm, neck and also the dreaded choke hold from behind.  Being prepared and practicing makes a world of difference and it is amazing how someone that knows what to do can reverse a bad situation very quickly and effectively.

We will also do sparring in class (with head gear and mouth guards), which is fun, a great workout, but more importantly, practicing the skills in a stressed situation.  As added fun, we have also done 2 on 1 sparring, which really makes you think and move.  (Anyone that thinks this is just play, try having a black belt's foot go past your nose so fast you NEVER SEE IT, only feel the breeze after it is gone and could have taken your head off.)

Hopefully, I will never have to use the skills I am learning in this class, but being prepared is a huge benefit.

And it is also pretty cool to get to break boards.

first of all the best defense is to try and avoid the situation all together this can be done alot of the time by just having situational awareness meaning know what and who is around you weather your in a dark parking lot or in a crowded mall i like the mall as a good example when hour walking thought the mall glance in the store windows as you walk and pay attention to who is behind you and make a mental note so you can tell how long they have been following you if you feel your being followed make a random course change when you leave the mall as soon as s you go out the door make a quick scan of the lot see who's standing around and what they are doing and try not to walkwithin arms reach of them ladies especially get in the habit of glancing in the back seat of your car before you even open the door

now should you be engaged you need to know what is around you and what do you have in your reach to defend yourself are you armed do you have a knife panic button on your keyfab an umbrella in a pinch anything can be used as a weapon I prefer my 45 but if that's not an option gotta use the tools at hand above all make noise draw attention to yourself this may very well save your life

when it comes to use of force remember this run rather than hurt, hurt rather than mame, mame rather than kill, and kill rather than be killed

when it comes to use of force remember this run rather than hurt, hurt rather than mame, mame rather than kill, and kill rather than be killed

I really like that philosophy, cepterjockey!

~ You see? THIS is why I Love checking out what Guests on the site are looking at.  :P :whistle:  I've NEVER seen this thread!  :woot:  Checking out what the guests are looking at always leads me to discover a lot of information on this website that I never would've seen.  :thumbsup:

It is intersting to go back and read over some of this stuff, even the stuff I posted way back when. 

Interesting seeing cepterjocky's post there as well.

And sometimes I read something I wrote a long time ago and I cringe and think "OMG...where was my HEAD?"  :rofl: