WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Do You Carry A Kit?

Realisticly, do you carry a kit/gear with you when you go out and about?

I know that it is the in thing to carry less and less because you have more and more knowledge but does anybody follow the Boy Scouts motto "Be Prepared" and carry kit?

always with me in my vehicle, i know it is not as good as on my person but it is usually in close reach.

ive got multiple kits. but i live in chicago and im not gona carry a kit with me just going down the block. I do carry my multi-tool though, cellphone, lighter or somthing else to light fire, and my bandanna. if i go downtown i carry more. for instnace i carry my canteen filled with water. spare money, stuff like that.

but if i am going somewhere else, or going hiking i carry a minikit. or for longer bigger trips another kit.

i do have a kit that is always in my car (in the trunk) and i have a smaller kit when going hiking that i carry with me in my backpack.

I don`t carry a kit yet - because I don`t have one YET (yet again) :)

I am in the process of selecting the needed tools.

Never leave home without a blade. Always have some sort of fire starter with me. Usually in my vehicle. Unless I am headed to the woods then it is with me. I am working on putting together a couple things.

Yes - all the time. Here is a photo of my 24/7 E-Bag (Fanny Pack.)

247dailyecarrybagig5.jpg

The High Sierra Fanny Pack with waist belt and shoulder strap. This helps to disperse the weight and secures it to my body better in the event of a fall. It has five outside compartments and one large interior compartment. The bag is approximately 12 inches long and 5 inches deep and 8 inches high. There are two small zippered pouches on the waist straps. All in all it contains just about everything except for my netting, my fixed blade, and my bear spray. I have two one-liter water bottles I fill with water and carry whereever I go.

The contents are as follows, from left to right:

The small red bag is the first aid kit, in which I carry sunscreen (the blue tube in the photo), gauze (the white roll in front), band-aids, chap-stick lip balm, Neosporin in the blue case with an eye dropper, medications, pain reliever, wet wipes.

The red clip with ring is my water bottle holder.

Behind the wet wipes are two 5-year food bars sealed in air tight foil wrappers.

To the right of the food bars is my cell phone resting on its charger.

Behind that is a large folded square of heavy duty aluminum foil and a plastic bag for water.

The pink roll of tape looking stuff is a roll of flagging tape. I can cut it in 1 foot strips to mark trails if need be.

In front of it is my yellow wallet/purse.

Just below the purse are envelopes with money and papers I need, along with a check book.

On top of the checkbook is a magnesium fire starter.

There is a roll of Breath Saver Mints.

Behind those is a pack of fishing hooks and lines tied and ready to use.

The brown object behind the fishhooks is a honing stone for sharpening my knives.

The black thing to the right of the stone is a wind-proof/waterproof butane lighter, a P-38 can opener, a measuring tape, two bottles for water purification, a tube of petroleum gel for fire starting.

Behind the gel is an orange disposable rain poncho, a blue bandana, 550-Paracord, a Leatherman Multi-tool.

Down from that is a double sided mirror for signaling, and under the mirror a small roll of duct tape.

To the right is a pack of tissue, a disposable space blanket, and an orange 5 in 1 whistle (which has matches, a striker, a compass, and a lanyard.)

In front of the whistle are sunglasses and reading glasses.

Down in front is a pen with a compass on the end cap and loose change.

To the right of the coins is a 55-gallon contractor’s heavy duty garbage bag wrapped in wax paper with three rubber bands tied around it.

It front of that is a 12 hour glow stick in white for night visibility.

Above those two items are my keys on a key chain with a Mini-Maglite, a dual blade pocket knife, a thermometer with wind chill index chart.

Then there is a regular compass sitting open.

I carry a few other personal items not shown in the photo as well.

Lost is that your daily carry gear? You are prepared! WOW!

Yeah, it goes everywhere I go. I never leave home without it. The only thing not in the picture are the water bottles and I forgot the pill bottle fire kit. Some may call it overkill, but I could sustain myself for an awfully long time with that equipment. The nice part is that it weighs about 4 pounds. Not heavy at all. For more lengthy stays out I have a complete backpack that I carry with a few other things.

Wow you carry alot of stuff there LOST. The description you made gave me some ideas on how to improve my kit. Thanks.

Wow you carry alot of stuff there LOST. The description you made gave me some ideas on how to improve my kit. Thanks.

Always wishing to help out if I can.

:whistle:  :hugegrin:  Yeah, I do.  I carry an EDC on my belt when I walk out the door just to get the paper and walk little Belle, our family 4 legged wolf type critter.  When I get into the truck, I have a Get Home Bag (GHB) behind the seat and my Becker BK-7 with it's sheath kit rides under the seat.

EDC also includes my cell phone

P1020290.jpg

Yeh man, shock and awe.... that's what I'm all about!!!  :P

Well let's see;

The bottom two are of a hand-woven, Ash-splint, Adirondack pack basket made in the form of the traditional Mohawk baskets. On the basket I hang a 30 yr old Ka-Bar knife from my time in the USMC and a Gransfors Bruks Small Game hatchett. On the other side is a leather pouch I stuff with all kinds of junk, and a bark awl/punch made from a deer antler.There is also a monkey's fist(red cord on front) and a braided length of fiber from a Century Plant (Agave parryi) with a few strands of horse tail hair woven in.

The top pic shows my "possibles" bag on which hangs my pace beads used for gaging distance traveled while walking.

In that bag I keep a variety of fire-making materials:

In the small brown pouch I keep two tins, one containing some modern fuel materials, the other holds flint, steel and charcloth. I also have a few pieces of false tinder fungus in the open tin. As well, there is a magnesium bar and striker bar, a small pink candle, a Blastmatch, a length of nylon cord for a bow drill, a bow drill spindle/base board(both Basswood), bearing block, and a small wood chip to place under the base board notch. I also have there my compass (Suunto MC-2), a knapping tool (billet), and a small clear-plastic pouch with sewing kit, fishing tackle, coated nylon patching material, 50 ft of nylon cord, a few band-aids, some alchohol pads, and some iodine tabs (for water).

My tinder pouch contains mostly Eastern Red Cedar bark, but also has some Thistle and Fireweed down, and a length of jute twine. There is also a chunk of False Tinder Fungus I use with a hand drill. Somewhere in there (likely in the closed tin) is also some True Tinder Fungus I use with flint and steel.

There, I think that's all. Hope I have helped.

BB

Guest Lead Dog

BB, it's very cool to see older, more traditional gear in your kit.

I see you have a Ka-Bar in your kit.  In a previous chat, you mentioned you also like your Grohmann #1.  Do you find the Ka-Bar is more useful to keep in your main kit?

Obviously from my question, I still haven't pulled the trigger and bought the Grohmann.  Woodsman is always pushing the Ka-Bar.  What is your opinion?

Thanks!

Lead Dog - I love the Grohmann, but I find the Ka-bar to be a more versatile, heavy-duty tool. The thing is just indestructable, and I beat the crap out of it. It takes an fine edge quite easily, and holds it. It will pry, chop, baton, and the steel butt-cap can be used to hammer metal or stone( I've used it to knap flint and chert at times). The Ka-Bar is my every day blade that I take with me EVERYWHERE.  The Grohmann is a great knife for smaller jobs.

I hope that helps.

BB

Guest cloaker

I am making various size kits, so far I have 3 types, this is the smallest and contains the less, each kit has what the previous kit has except more.

The smallest kit includes:

1 magnesium stick

1 swiss army knife with scissors

20 ft of cord 10lb test

30 ft of fishing line 17lb test

about 6-8 different size sinkers

one small float

10 various size hooks

10 trail markers (side views, square)

2 screwdrivers (+ and -)

4 wooden matches

5 cotton balls

4 tie wraps

2 bandaids

Kit #2 includes the above and:

more tiewraps

compass

whistle

magnifying glass

temperature guage

poncho

solar blanket

tons of wooden matches

more cotton balls

Kit #3 as the above, except more of everything and is part of my fishing tackle box and goes with me when I go camping. It also has duplicates of the poncho, blankets etc. for the wife and kids. it has more stuff, I just cant think of it right now :)

I also own a grohmann #1 that has not seen much use. It was a gift my twin and I made to my father about 20 years ago and when he passed away I got it. It was engraved and won't see any action unless my sons want to use it when they inherit it!

These kits are great guys. I am enjoying seeing the variety of gear in these emergency kits. Thanks for your input, keep it up.

I break my kits down into every day carry (EDC)  kits (bascially what is in my pockets or on my belt), a larger fanny-pack kit, and the bug out bag (BOB).  I keep additional items at work and in the car. 

Guest Lead Dog

I do the same as KY Bob.  When outdoors, I always have a small kit with some essentials on my belt or in a pocket, even when I have a pack with me.  I can always lose the pack, especially when travelling by canoe or dog sled.  If I get dumped or stranded by the dogs, I can still build a fire, purify water, and get a shelter built.

With all that has been happening with the problems at the schools recently, I am starting to think about a PSK for my 9 year old...... I cant say how sad the idea makes me. :(

Personally I carry my SAK, my Leatherman, a Bic lighter, a Scheffield lock blade, a mini maglight, on me at all times. I have a very very small PSK in my workbag, and a larger BOB in my truck, and then full BOB at home.

With all that has been happening with the problems at the schools recently, I am starting to think about a PSK for my 9 year old...... I cant say how sad the idea makes me. :(

This is becoming a regular worry in our schools and it is better to have a child somewhat prepared than not at all.  Go for it!