WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bestseller92

Firearms trivia.

These are from off the top of my head, and though I know quite a bit about guns, I will be the first to say I don't know everything. Which is another way of saying, if I've made any mistakes, feel free to point them out, OK?

Here goes:

1. A friend of yours who's not really into guns has acquired a Springfield 1911 A1 .45 for home defense. You meet him at the range and see that he's set the Springfield down on the shooting bench, hammer down, safety on. Immediately you advise him to send the gun back for service. Why?

2. Of the .38 Special and the .32 Special, which is more powerful?

3. The .348 Winchester was availble only in what model rifle?

4. The Desert Eagle was originally introduced in what caliber?

5. Ammo for the .44 Auto Mag was made from the cut down cases of what rifle cartridge?

6. In the movie "Dirty Harry", what caliber rifle does Harry Callahan use to shoot at the Scorpio killer from the rooftop?

7. Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and Elmer Keith were instrumental in the development of what handgun cartridge, which was introduced in the early 1960s?

8. Of the 9mm Luger and .45 ACP cartridges, which was introduced first?

9. Bill Jordan's favorite revolver was what model Smith and Wesson?

10.What caliber rifle did Col. Charles Askins often carry in his Border Patrol days?

I'll give some of it a go.

1. hammer shouldn't be down if safety is on! Defect!!!!!!

2. .38 spcl (are you refering to the .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, (.32 Colt new police)?)

3. Win. Mod. 71

4. .44 Rem mag.

5. .308 Win.

6. .458 Win Mag

7. S&W .41 mag.

8. 9mm 1902.........45 acp 1905 (added the dates)

9. S&W Mod. 19

10.  He was partial to the .351 Win.

Was no. 7 the 221 fireball?

No.8> the 45 was the answer to the German Lugar wasnt it? So the 9mm was out first.

Ive got a question> what caliber was Quigleys down under? How does this caliber and rifle gain the reputation as a long range cartridge?

What do you think of the new improved military 415 Tabuk sniper rifle or sharp shooter rifle?

Im looking for an excuse to buy the ever popular new 17 cal. but I cant figure why I need one. What do you think of it?

Bob missed 2 and 4; otherwise he nailed them.

I don't have a .17 because of the price of the ammo.  If I can't do it with a .22, then I'll move up to a centerfire.

I believe the Quigley rifle was either the .45/100 or the .50/100 Sharps, both of which were long range buffalo cartridges of the day.

Ok,  1.  why is the .45 Colt caliber referred to as the .45 Long Colt?

2.  What round did Dirty Harry carry in his Smith & Wesson?  (CAREFUL!  TRICK QUESTION!!)

3.  What did General Patton refer to as the "greatest battle implement" ever devised?

4.  What caliber was the Springfield M1903 introduced in?

5.  If you were to wear a right-handed cavalry holster for your Colt 1873 revolver, would the gun butt be toward the front or the back?

In defference to my last miserable try:

1. as opposed to the then new .45acp (automatic colt pistol) rd for the model 1911, the older 45 colt rd which is longer was refered to as the .45 long colt. It was also longer than the .45 Schofield of the era

2. .44 spcl

3. .30m1 Garand the best battle rifle designed by a Canadian

4. 30/03 later with slight changes became the 30/06 of legend

5. front (twist grip) Calvary saber rested on the left

Now did I make a jack___ of my self?

In defference to my last miserable try:

1. as opposed to the then new .45acp (automatic colt pistol) rd for the model 1911, the older 45 colt rd which is longer was refered to as the .45 long colt. It was also longer than the .45 Schofield of the era

2. .44 spcl

3. .30m1 Garand the best battle rifle designed by a Canadian

4. 30/03 later with slight changes became the 30/06 of legend

5. front (twist grip) Calvary saber rested on the left

Now did I make a jack___ of my self?

1.  You did really well, except that the 45 ACP wasn't invented until about 1905 or so, BUT--the .45 Long Colt DID get its nick-name in reference to the .45 Schofield, which could be chambered in the .45 Colt caliber revolvers.  So we'll give you partial credit on number 1. 

2.  That is correct!  Dirty Harry didn't carry .44 magnum loads in his revolver.  Refer to the movie, "Magnum Force" when Dirty Harry is talking to the rookie cops about the load he was using  in his Model 29 S&W.

3.  Keerect again!  The original caliber for the M1 was to be a .284 (I think).  Garand worked and re-worked the design until it was ready for military use.

4.  Again, right on the money!  The .30--03 was the original caliber developed for military use, and led to the development of the .30-06.

5.  Right-o!  A cavalryman would carry his revolver on his right hip with the butt facing forward (if right-handed).  Many believed that Colt developed the 1873 Single Action Army as a revolver for a leftie since the loading gate was on the right side of the frame.  The truth is that a horseman was expected to have the reigns in his left hand, so the revolver would be laid in the left hand over the reigns for reloading.

Bobimbob, you most assuredly did NOT make a jack@ss of yourself.  Well done! :clap:

Alright, let's try some more:

1.  What was "that d*mn Yankee rifle that could be loaded on Sunday and fired all week"?

2.  What firearm was developed FROM this rifle, and....

3.  What firearm was is developed from?

4.  What does ".30-30" mean?

5.  You have an SKS rifle that has to be adjusted for windage.  The rifle shoots to the left, and you have to adjust the FRONT sight.  To make the bullets impact center, which direction do you move the front sight?

6.  What's a 'lemon squeezer'?

5. The front sight would be adjusted to the left.

6. Is this the term for a person who soaks his trigger finger in lemon juice (citric acid) in an effort to gain more sensitivity?

1. If memory serves me Henry in .44 rimfire, improved from the Volcanic rifle

2. Winchesters 1866

3. Above mentioned Volcanic? or am I out of sequence?

4. .30 cal---30grains of powder

5. left as BB said adjustment on front (opposite to direction) answered too fast

6. palm held, squeezed lever fired, single barreled pocket pistol, barrel inserted inbetween fingers

Alright, let's try some more:

1.  What was "that d*mn Yankee rifle that could be loaded on Sunday and fired all week"?

2.  What firearm was developed FROM this rifle, and....

3.  What firearm was is developed from?

4.  What does ".30-30" mean?

5.  You have an SKS rifle that has to be adjusted for windage.  The rifle shoots to the left, and you have to adjust the FRONT sight.  To make the bullets impact center, which direction do you move the front sight?

6.  What's a 'lemon squeezer'?

#1. The infamous 1860 Henry made by New Havens Arms Co. I think this model was developed for a "rimfire" .44

#2. The Winchester repeater was developed from the Henry.

#3. Not sure what you mean Kbob: What was developed after the Winchester repeater or what was the Henry developed from?

If it is the latter the Henry was designed from the Volcanic firearm system.

#4. .30-30 - 30 caliber bullet fired with a 30 grain charge of smokeless powder.  Not to be confused with .30-06 (aught six) which is a 30 caliber bullet adopted by the armed forces in 1906.  

.44 Henry Flat Rim Fire Remington UMC Early Square End Box Rare!

Item #4440

Click to show full size

This item is closed.

By placing a bid, you agree to pay a 13% buyers premium on any items won.

Current price: $1,835.00

Starting bid: $500.00

Bidding is closed for this item.

Closes: Auction is closed

Started: 12/15/2006 8:13:47 AM

Ended: 3/15/2007 8:18:00 PM

Quantity: 1

Ok, pretty good with two exceptions:  4: .30 caliber over 30 grains BLACK powder.  6:  Lemon squeezer is the Smith & Wesson Hammerless Safety.  It had a grip safety (different for a revolver!), design was finalized in 1886 and went through 5 model changes until it was discontinued in 1940.

I gotta give you guys props, y'all are pretty good.  :thumbup:

1.  Yep, the Henry

2.  Yes, the 1866 Winchester a.k.a. the "Yellow Boy."

3.  Developed from the Volcanic pistol

4.  .3o caliber with 30 grains black powder

5.  I hoped to trip somebody up on this, but you all answered correctly.  TO adjust the front sight, move it in the opposite direction from where you want the bullet to impact.  To adjust the rear sight, move it in the direction you want the bullet to impact.

6.  Smith & Wesson Hammerless Safety revolver.

Hey KBob, 30/30 was in fact designed for "smokeless powder". So 30cal-- 30grain smokeless powder.  :angel:

You know, I believe you're right.  Hmmm....must be gettin' senile in my old age....

Ive got a few questions I would like some informed opinion on.

What do you think of the new steel shot?

What do you think of the new down priced Remington high power rifles?

What rifles on todays market do you consider to be of the best quality?

Is it still true that bolt action rifles are more accurate than pumps or autos?

Is price the best determination of dependability in a rifle scope?

Whats the best pistol scope for a Ruger Black Hawk interchangeable cylinder .22 / .22 mag.

The advent of steel shot was not particularly good, steel produces many more winged or cripples than lead ever did (you have to use at least 2 shot sizes larger, hence less pellets in a load even if the weight is less, it's volume not mass). I've heard more of my buddies have broken a tooth or a filling bitting into a steel pellet than lead with minimal pressure. Less are hunting now because of shot cost. More ricochet due to the hardness of steel. You have to use a shot cup, limits a lot of black powder shooter/hunters (wear in the barrel) It was bad science or interpretation of the data (possible tainted views on hunting) that started the change over because of die off. Just this year die of was reported again for last fall no lead so they looked further and a bacteria was found to be the cause, postulated that this was also the cause in the previous study but over loooked? For upland birds, buckshot etc... lead is still the best/efficient load. Some place are completely lead free so bismuth is a costly substitute. Not impressed.

-Probably a reflection of the market, less people are hunting and to keep hunters interested in newer firearms the profit margin has been adjusted along with better machining technology, CNC, investment casting, synthetic materials, laminates, amazing new cartrigdes? etc... New hunters expect more modern features even if the older firearms are better? So they new.

-Savage has long produced an dependable bolt firearms on an excellent frame that is very accurate kind of a sleeper matter of fact (sorry BB) a friend of mine bought one (on my rec) and it is one of the most accurate rifles, cuts clover leafs at 100yds all day. The synthetic stock is by far better than that hunk/block of wood used as a stock, replace the plastic front sight has got to go but otherwise better than average.

(He won't sell it to me  :curse: :reallymad: :rant: :ranting:)

Ruger is another good rifle and just because of the mod Mauser styled action would be my preference as my only go to rifle, along with the built-in receiver bases makes a good scope bed. Again I prefer the older synthetic skeleton stock.

Remington has long been my favorite and that is what I personaly use, an older ADL in .308win, the only drawback in my mind is the small extractor as compared to the Mauser style, has never failed so far but if it was for dangerous game it would be a Ruger.

-Most bolts have a stiffer action which results in a more stable platform, having said that I just sold a Rem self loading rifle that would stand up against any hunting grade bolt, lever.

Almost as good as that Savage that should be mine..mine do you hear Andre

-No most people don't need or actually use the expensive features in the top priced scopes, so for dependability/function alone any of the older American made (Weaver, Redfield etc..) are excellent, along with Bushnell, and such. I will usually try a friends scope of a different make and ask around how others that hunt in the same conditions feel about it. I see people over scoped and under skilled with their rifles, I rather spend  money on cartridges and improve my shooting abilities and use a good scope than on the top of the line scope with a box and half of cartridges. I like to keep things that are most like me ..s.i.m.p.l.e  :S

For the Ruger pistol with scope never have had the need for one (Quigley DU)

I just keep it closer than 50yds. (Canada no hunting with handguns :cry:

Now maybe I'll give it a try.

How many rds did "cowboys" carry in their Colt pistols and why?

Which rifle won the West in the American west?

When a group embarking in a modern vehicle someone calls shotgun, why?

Which rifle did Jeremiah Johnson want but was initialy unable to acquire?

What is Kentucky Windage?

Now maybe I'll give it a try.

How many rds did "cowboys" carry in their Colt pistols and why?

Which rifle won the West in the American west?

When a group embarking in a modern vehicle someone calls shotgun, why?

Which rifle did Jeremiah Johnson want but was initialy unable to acquire?

What is Kentucky Windage?

1. Being a SASS shooter, you only carry 5 rounds in a six shooter since the firing pin will rest on the primer if you don't carry it with the pin resting on an empty cylinder.

2. The Winchester model 1873 was the widely popular model that "Won the West".

3. I think the term was coined by the 1939 movie Stagecoach where George Bancroft says: "I'm going to Lordsburg with Buck. I'm gonna ride shotgun." I should elaborate on this. Riding "shotgun" is the guy on the stagecoach next to the driver with the coach gun in his lap.

4. Ol Mr. Johnson (who I live vicariously through) wanted a fiddy cal Hawkens.

5. KW is a term I've heard old timers use for sighting compensation, but don't really know the technique or term....

Deadly on rockhounder :thumbup:

Kentucky Windage is : An estimate of the modified point of aim required to compensate for wind or for target movement. Like aiming a so many inches or so above or in front of a distant or moving target.

Who was Jeremiah Johnson's character based on?

What did many "westerners" carry in their empty chamber?

What epitaph is on Les Moore's boot hill tombstone?

What is type of saddle became the mainstay of the American Cavalry?

What is the 45-70 cartridges proper name and for what fiream was it produced for?

1. Jeremiah Johnson's (the movie) was based on John Johnson (sometimes Johnston) who was also known as "liver eating Johnson" or as Dapiek Absaroka, Crow Killer. 

2. The popular story is that they kept paper money and/or a last will. The money was for a proper burial.

3. "Here Lies Lester Moore, 4 slugs from a .44, no Les, no more." Only seen in the movie Tombstone, not a real grave stone.

4. The infamous McClellan saddle I think.

Bob, you always get me on the last one!

my guess:

5. The 45-70 was originally developed for the "trapdoor" springfield and the army adopted the 45-70 govt. I think (may be wrong here) it was used in the 1874 and later model Gatlin gun. Not sure what the "proper" name is.

BONUS QUESTION:

Where is the "real" Boot Hill. Hint: Not in Tombstone, AZ.