WildSurvive Forum

I saw the original Bear Grylls on the Discovery channel last night. It was the first movie they produced. I began to notice some of the questionable material was cut from the original version.

Im wondering if the producers took notice of the cirticism from the forums of some of the irresponsible actions Bear indulged in during the shooting of this film?

Gone was the jumping in the river and the hidden life preserver and the pretended stalking of the grizzley bear. I may have missed some of the others because its been awhile since I saw it. Woodsman told me Les Stroud knows the producer of the film.

I am not sure if it was the original that i saw but i acquired mine from this place called the internet. I think it makes it more entertaining I love how crazy he is, and often he will say a person needs to use these skills to climb "x" cliff as if any one could do it, yea i dont plan to just climb up a crack in a cliff, some other crazy stuff. I saw the part where he was running from the bear and the jump. Oh the best is climbing up and down waterfalls, no thank you.

All I am going to say, in my ignorance of knowing his real abilities, is that the show is entertaining and he is young enough to do things I will never do.  No, I am not saying I am old, oh well, yes I am!  :dead:

Ill have to agree with you on that on Robert I still like his shows even though hes might reckless. I have to admire his conditioning.

Welcome by the way to our forums.  :wave:

Bear submitted to the pressure of his producers.  I guess he probably should have held out and kept it real from the beginning, since it's not that he can't do those things. Remember, he did summit Everest.

I watched several of the reruns last night. They did edit the shows. I kind of think they even put in original scenes that they didn't use first time, as well as deleted a couple of scenes. Plus now he mentions how they talked to local survival experts and has his crew with him in case of an emergency.

I will give him some credit though. He is in real good shape. I still thinks he is nuts. I sure a hell would not slide down a rock face to get to a tree line when you can walk around more safely. While the show itself is entertaining, alot of the things he does could get people killed or at least injured.

Guest smallgamehunter

i will give him credit for his military training but i think that alot of sas guys are shaking their heads in digust at some of the things he does.

my favorite idiot move he made was in the deep south episode where he wrestles a 6 ft gator and makes it look like something anyone can and should do. i give it to les atleast he keep it real

I hate talking to people and they say  " oh survivorman that's that British guy that does all that crazy stuff " , it runs me batty !

I hate talking to people and they say  " oh survivorman that's that British guy that does all that crazy stuff " , it runs me batty !

~ the idiots I work with say "Survivorman is ok, but I like that British guy... he does more dangerous stuff, he's WAY better."   :scared:       

:thumbdown:      :glare:

I know what you mean they ask me the same question and I go oh no no no this guys Canadian and is real and films it himself. don't even watch the British guy.

To my mode of thinking, Bear is a complete tool. Why does he insist on boiling water from a stream in the Rockies or Cascades but has no problem squeezing water from elephant poo? Still like to watch him almost kill himself weekly for my entertainment though.

Coty

I know what you mean they ask me the same question and I go oh no no no this guys Canadian and is real and films it himself. don't even watch the British guy.

Looks like we are of the same mine on this milksop

this reminds me. I went to Walmart the other day to get snare wire, and I went to there camping section and there was this Man and Woman and there little kid in the Survival aisle and she was trying to tell her Husband what they need in there Survival Kit. and I overheard here say that she knows because she watches Bear, and I thought to myself oh no don't  watch him I watch Survivorman and he is way better but I didn't say anything.  wacky078.gif

I hope that ink aint permanent. oops.gif

Look Bear Grylls is for entertainment only. You can get some stuff from him but a lot of the stuff he does is too dangerous for survival or done just for shock value. Navigating through abandoned mineshafts; rivers that run under mountain caves is to damned dangerous. Surviving in the bush is a slow and methodical process. Grylls is always rushing and making the pace of the show exciting. He does alot of shock value stuff that in using common sense you wouldn't do. One show he collected bugs by firelight in a jar to eat. He mashed them all together and ate them. Why not just cook them on the fire and eat them, at least they would taste better? Besides he cheats with his wilderness hotel golf tours.

Les Stroud is fine but I'm now fond of Ray Mears. You learn actual bushcrafting skills from him. I like how he cleans a fish, very efficient.  

http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/ray+mears#

Best part is when you download the Veoh Webplayer you can download the shows to your hard drive.

My thoughts exactly Jemarque. Where Is Les Stroud any way? Cody Lundin is my current favorite.

Bear submitted to the pressure of his producers.  I guess he probably should have held out and kept it real from the beginning, since it's not that he can't do those things. Remember, he did summit Everest.

There is a problem with that.  I recorded one of his shows so I could fastforward to the closing credits and saw the producer was Bear himself.