WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rabbit

Flare Guns

I remember my father had a pen type flare in his air force kit and one day, I just had too (I was like 8) I launched a couple of them and it was pretty amazing.

The item was made from aluminum and the flares were little metal screw on charges.

I found a company in the USA that makes the same thing except they have gone to plastic cartridges (last longer).

The cost is insane. The pen itself is at least 20$ and 6 flares costs about $25. They also have bear-bang charges that are meant to scare away bears.

The whole kit with 6 flares takes up very very little space, and if not for the cost, would be a neat little extra in my survival kit. Does anyone know where you can get it cheaper?

A side topic would be how to make a launching type of signal in the bush? (ok, here comes a "no thought put into it example!!") if you had a metal pen that you gutted and used the bottom piece and filled it with something you carried, could you get it to launch out? (wow, thats a terrible idea and probably light you on fire!)

Hi there. My name is Jason. I am new to this forum. I would like to ask you a question Rabbit. Do you know the name or address to the place that sell those pen flares? I have been wanting to get some and didn't know where to look. Thank you if you or anyone responds.

Pen flairs are not much use as an emergency signal flair.

There use is designed as a signal to people that know were your location is and know where to look to see your flair, they are used mainly as communication between groups of people that are spread out across open countryside. In the army they were often used to start an attack from the start line. i.e. flair means start the attack

The trueflareusa is the place I initially found, I just can't find anything cheaper.

I wonder if anyone with a little bit of knowledge could turn a bullet into a flare? Take off the slug, drop in something...would be interesting to try it out, see what you can put in to make it look like a flare...

I still have not found anything cheaper..the prices at trueflareusa are horrendous! (?)

Ouch, just checked on shipping, its 30$ cheapest, and each flare apparently weighs almost 1 lb...these things must be huge!