WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rabbit

Light Sticks

My kids love them.

I have two types, one that is the usual light stick that is shaped like a cigar, and ones that are long and stringy that you are supposed to loop around and make a wrist band from.

Well, this has never happened to me before, but with kids, you can always expect the unexpected....

The long stringy one broke open and leaked on our bed!

With the lights off, it looked like a crime scene and luminol under ultraviolet light!

If I buy the very good light sticks (the cigar shaped ones) from a camping store, I've had some still glow bright after 48 hours. The cheap 88 cent ones for the kids from wal-mart die off in about 12 hours...

The fat cigar ones have glass inside, that is what breaks and releases the chemical to get the glow...so safety is a concern here...

Has anyone ever broken a cigar shaped one open and used the liquid to mark a large "X" on the ground, or to write an "SOS"? How many lightsticks would it take to make it big enough to be visible from the air?

My guess it would take quite a few. Maybe a dozen or so. It depends on how big you want it. Plus I would also say it depends on the color as well because some are brighter than others and easier to see.

I know one time me and a couple of shipmates(I was in the Navy) took one of the cigar type lights and went down into one of our gear lockers. We closed the hatch and broke the light so it would light up, then poked a hole in it and shook it all over the place. Man it looked like you were literally in outer space. It was awsome. We wasn't even drunk and we were still trippen' out. After a couple of days when the light wore out we went back down into the gear locker and you could see where the stuff that was inside the stick landed all over the place. The person in charge of us that day asked us what all this crap that was all over every thing was, we knew nothing about it, maybe one of the shipyardworkers did it.

LOL! 

Welcome to the forum, jcs71! 

My dad was a chief in the Navy and he LOVED playing jokes on his crew members.  That's probably where I get my sense of humor from. :hugegrin:

I've kept a few lightsticks in my kits over the years, and one thing I would suggest is to rotate your stock.  They seem to lose their potency after a year or so.  You're right about the Wal Mart ones, they don't last as long as the others.

Be extrememly careful when handling a open lightstick.  The contents are extrememly deadly if ingensted and can even make you ill from handling the liquid.  Once the liquid is exposed to the air the glow time is cut down drastically.  It's like the draft on your wood stove.  Let a little air in and the fire will burn for a long time.  A lot of air will cause the fire to burn hot and fast.  Better than putting a glowing x on the ground is to tie a light stick to about 6 foot of paracord.  When you want to be noticed swing that thing in a circle.  At night it will be seen for a very long ways.  I've tried swinging it in a square but it's difficult. happy097.gif