WildSurvive Forum
Dark Squirrel

Super Squirrels Trekking Tutorial

I found that the Mountain House brand is the most flavorful to me.  I especcially like the lasagna, spagetti, spicy vegetables with chicken, beef stroganoff.  I do not like dehydrated eggs.  I've tried them a couple of times and just can't get the amount of water right to get a good consistency.

3-Day MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) Food Supply

$34.99

This looks to be very expensive Dave. Is it worth this much or can you fix your own? I bought a vacume sealer.

What can I fix that isnt this expensive?

Excellent work, Dave!  This is a pretty comprehensive article.  The Mountain House foods seem to be really popular, and I've even seen 3-day survival/emergency kits from Mountain House.  MRE's taste good, and have plenty of food, but they are fairly heavy compared to freeze-dried foods (I keep several in the car, Jeep, etc.

Swede, is the 3-day supply you were talking about a Mountain House kit?

The secret is in the first line Bob where it says MER    :/

This is the Government issue. The Mountain House and the The Super Ark - Survival Kit - One Person For Three Days! $24.95 was cheaper.

The secret is in the first line Bob where it says MER     :/

This is the Government issue. The Mountain House and the The Super Ark - Survival Kit - One Person For Three Days! $24.95 was cheaper.

MER??  I thought it said MRE...hmmm.  Anyway, A case of 12 MRE's sells for anywhere up to 69.95 depending on where you buy.  Ebay has them at auction, but you have to watch the shipping.  If someone is charging over $18.00 for shipping, that's a rip-off.  Anything under $15.00 shipping is a real steal (a case of Govt-issue weighs around 22 pounds).

Nitro-Pak has commercial MRE's, made by the same company and fresher than the military surplus, but they cost a bit more, around 59.99 plus shipping (15 to 18 dollars).  Cheaper Than Dirt had them for sale at 49.99/case, but my last experience with theirs was less than satisfactory.

Hey dave, I was jsut reading the post  of your tutorial on the front page, and it got me thinking about a trip kentuckywoodsman and a few others, and myself are wanting to make. Its been a while since we've talked about it. Its only a 16 mile trip along the pine mountain trail, and it would take us two days. Mostly because we want to do some studying of the area, and place some geocaches out along the trail. Also to get some camping in also. Just wantd to say thanks. Its got me thinking again. Great tutorial.