WildSurvive Forum

What would be the first priorities if the city you are living in becomes a warzone? Non-soldier point of view. Set up some defense? Try to flee?

I think I would try to leave the area as soon as possible. If that's too dangerous - I would try to make enough provisions and then set up some sort of hq where its easy to hide and defend.

Cid, this is good thinking on your part. It is becoming a thought in the back of peoples minds more and more these days. Doesn't seem there is anywhere safe from war.

I personally would watch for development at first, unless I was in an area being bombed. I do have preparations made to get of of town immediately if necessary. My vehicle and preparations are ready for a five minute time period to evacuate. It is an off-road truck. If I were more than a few miles out, I might think out what plan would be best and notify outside family members on my plan of action. There might be a way to travel that would be better. For example: If there was more war activity during the day, it would behove me to travel at night. If by vehicle, without lights perhaps. If during the day, maybe back roads. If without a vehicle, I might go underground or deep into the woods.

I guess in answer to your basic thought; I would leave with as much as possible.

LOST is right, prepare before in a logical way, so that you may have several scenarios ready.

As in a city such as the Beirut situation presently the people should have seen this comming for a while, it has happened before and not learning from history has its own dangers. The whole Middle East is a tinder keg and all non-combatant do have a personal/family/friend responsability to be as prepared as they can be even if they are not in immediate danger, they can use Southern Lebanon as an example to start being ready.

New Orleans was warned before hand and most chose not to be prepared at any level..

Unless you are completely invalid there is always something you can do, waiting to do at the last minute tends to leave circumstances dictate the events rather than youself.

The first lesson in martial arts that I learnt was not to be "there". EG. someone throws a punch, you step back out of the way.

If there is conflagration comming try to figure where it will come from and be mobile and move in a safer direction as soon as you can manage it. Better yet find as many ways to avoid being in the path of the oncomming storm.

Get some form of dependable transportation/repair kit (vehicle/bicycle/animal), and fuel/food to keep it going for the trip. Information (maps/GPS/personal knowledge) before hand will be an extreme asset when in need.

Keep nessessities to a manageable amount ready to get out and practise fitting it all in said method of transportation.

Then re-list what you absolutely need the most and put it a personal "packs" for each person spread the load, in case the "transportation" is not available at the time of emergency. Include enough food/water for family and pets if any.

Always make back up plans and make sure they are realistic.

A BOB is a good idea as well as a good name :P

Bon and Lost thanks alot for the info.

YOu two are completely right about this.

I didn`t know New Orleans was warned before the tragedy stroke.

Definitely. As with any situation where there could be trouble. Get out ASAP! Most people get into trouble with the "it won't happen to me". (Where have I heard that?) :D Get out, if things don't turn out to be bad, then you can go back. But if you are staying......you better be ready to fight.

Machine I think you heard that in the "canoe falling" Survivorman episode.

"The it can`t happen to me syndrome" by Les Stroud

:lol: Am I right or am I right? :lol:

I would grab the BOB's and get out ASAP, I would also put the bikes one the bike rack on our SUV.

If somthing like that happens and you live in a big city like i do. If your not outa there before everyone else, your going to be stuck in really bad traffic. if you have ever been in the middle of a traffic jam, it would be like that multiplied by 10. If you are stuck like that and its life or death that you get outa the city. I might wana pull over, and get my bike. and just ride the bike outa there. bikes dont run out of gas and you can go through pretty much any terrain with them if you have a good one.

although a bike is slower than a car, in a traffic jam with all of chicago trying to get out at once. the bike would be the fastest thing around.

I would grab the BOB's and get out ASAP, I would also put the bikes one the bike rack on our SUV.

If somthing like that happens and you live in a big city like i do. If your not outa there before everyone else, your going to be stuck in really bad traffic. if you have ever been in the middle of a traffic jam, it would be like that multiplied by 10. If you are stuck like that and its life or death that you get outa the city. I might wana pull over, and get my bike. and just ride the bike outa there. bikes dont run out of gas and you can go through pretty much any terrain with them if you have a good one.

although a bike is slower than a car, in a traffic jam with all of chicago trying to get out at once. the bike would be the fastest thing around.

Mountain bikes are especially nice to endure rugged terrain. Good idea on having the bikes as a back-up. Do you have saddle bags or racks on them for carrying added gear?

Yes, good one LOST. A mountain bike is good to have as backup. You don't need fuel for it, and it never (if its a good rugged one) lets you down. THink you are in the wild with 7 more family members and friends. The truck ran out of gas and you are in the middle on nowhere. Some of you could start building a shelter, some would make a fire, other will look for food, and you could use the bike to scout the area, find water, food, the enemy and whatnot.

I agree, in a war situation, a truck and a bike as backup would be best!

We are in the process of building a trailer cart for the bike (pedal). I am thinking of using an grocery shopping basket with bicycle wheels under it to tow, or maybe a deer cart would do the job? With this set up we can also do our local shopping and in camp grounds trailer our water, wood, etc.. at our leisure.

We are in the process of building a trailer cart for the bike (pedal). I am thinking of using an grocery shopping basket with bicycle wheels under it to tow, or maybe a deer cart would do the job? With this set up we can also do our local shopping and in camp grounds trailer our water, wood, etc.. at our leisure.

A grocery cart is nice and heavy. If you can get two, you can use the fold up part of the second one for the top. That is a superb idea you have there Bob!  With the wire cart you can strap a thousand things onto it. WOW BOB!!!  How I love ingenuity.

We have several "jogging" strollers we purchased for my kids. Two of them are rated to 175lbs of weight (I was surprized). They have big wheels, and move over rough ground really easily. I like them because of how easily they move, but I also like the triangle shape of the supports. Very very light weight, but strong as heck.

The biggest trouble with these strollers, as a stroller goes, is it doesnt turn well in tight places (homes, stores, etc) but for transporting gear... well I think they rock. :) They also can be pulled backwards to transport someone that is injured.

One other thing to think about too, is if you plan ahead and get a desiel powered truck, you can (for short periods of time) run it on home heating oil. I would think that if lots of people are fleeing the area, you might be able to locate a empty home that still has fuel oil. Might get you back on the road when you need to be moving.

I am not sure in a war time situation you'd want to be moving at night, lights off. It is the kind of target we were trained to spot (and shoot at) when I was in the service. I tend to shy away from the idea of using Mountain Bikes as a backup transportation method. Thou they work well, I feel it would be far to easy for my family to get separtated or injured. I would head out on foot first.

Welcome on the Wild Survive Chuck. Nice to have you here.

I am not sure what "jogging" strollers are. something like roller skates?

Welcome on the Wild Survive Chuck. Nice to have you here.

I am not sure what "jogging" strollers are. something like roller skates?

:)  No they are just three wheeled Baby strollers, where the wheels and tires are large. The tires tend to be almost the size of a small bike, and most of them have a decent tread. THey tend to have duel locking brakes for the wheels. THe reason they are known as "jogging" strollers, is they were invented for Mom's to push the baby in, while they were jogging... here is a link to one company that makes them. You'll see what I mean. :)

http://www.babyuniverse.com/man.asp?manid=221&rc=googlebabyjogger&s_kwcid=baby%20jogger|707414901&gclid=CPCXn5vQmYcCFQVrVAodEWv30g

This could be a very real threat for a lot of us who work or live in large cities.  I have to come through a very rough part of town to get to work and I have thought about it more than once...what would I do if my city was at war?  There are so many gangs and scary people who wander the streets, I would honestly be scared to death to have to walk home from work, but the possibility that I may have to do that is very real.

I will always have a knife on me.  And water.  And some basic survival supplies.  But other than that, it's really in God's hands what happens to me.  I can be as prudent as possble, and be as prepared as I can be, but the bottom line is this...it is all a matter of fate whether I make it home in one piece or not. 

Your pistol would help even the odds. God would want you to do what you can for your self hes busy.

One other thing to think about too, is if you plan ahead and get a desiel powered truck, you can (for short periods of time) run it on home heating oil. I would think that if lots of people are fleeing the area, you might be able to locate a empty home that still has fuel oil. Might get you back on the road when you need to be moving.

I know several people that run older diesels on a mix of diesel and used, but filtered, car oil. Have to be careful with the new diesel as they have particulate filters in the exhaust and require a special oil.