WildSurvive Forum

The idea behind this thread is what would you do if you had to make a decision, and what would others think is a better decision...let me start it off:

1. Your lost in the woods

2. You have 25 matches and a lighter for fire.

3. You are not sure when you will be rescued

4. Assume (ok, for the sake of the discussion) that you can only make a fire with your matches or lighter

You want to light a fire, do you:

Use your matches up then the lighter?

Do you use the lighter up and save the matches?

Do you alternate between them?

My first thought would be to use up the matches because over time, there is a chance that they could get wet or become useless, since the lighter is more rugged, I would use up the matches and save the lighter. Does that make sense?

If you were on the move where you had to build a fire every night than use the matches.

If you were in one camp waiting for help get buisy and start gathering fire wood and save on both.

Be a good time to practice with a fire drill while your waiting. :P

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine a situation where I wouldn't use a firebow first, but thats why this is a what if type of question, perhaps you have a broken arm and using a bow or drill is not an option.

I am pretty sure the right thing is to use up the matches first, but I am sure someone can find a good reason to use the lighter first...

Like Swede stated, if you are stationary, which you should be if you are truely lost, build your first fire (I'd use the lighter) and collect enough wood to last you through the first night. 

You might also consider a shelter of sorts, which this time of year, could be more of a concern, depending on your area and weather conditions. 

Yeah, the shelter, gather firewood etc. ideas are easy enough, but the what if was specifically about the lighter/matches.

I have another what if:

1. You are lost, but trying to walk out.

2. You have a garbage bag, and a sleeping bag.

3. It starts to rain hard

Do you put the sleeping bag in the gargage bag to keep it dry

Do you use the garbage bag as a poncho to keep you dry

Do you get in the sleeping bag and put the garbage bag over you in the bag and stop moving

Or...?

If the garbage bag is large enough I would choose

C) get in the sleeping bag and put the garbage bag over you in the bag and stop moving

Else - I would make sure I am dry - if the sleeping bag is dry and I am freezing to death afterwards - its not good

This ones easy. I would call my buddy Dick. He just loves to see people ate by alagators. :hugegrin:

Yeah, the shelter, gather firewood etc. ideas are easy enough, but the what if was specifically about the lighter/matches.

I have another what if:

1. You are lost, but trying to walk out.

2. You have a garbage bag, and a sleeping bag.

3. It starts to rain hard

Do you put the sleeping bag in the gargage bag to keep it dry

Do you use the garbage bag as a poncho to keep you dry

Do you get in the sleeping bag and put the garbage bag over you in the bag and stop moving

Or...?

Kind of an old thread, but if you are lost, you do not want to walk anywhere, because you really don't know which way is out.  Get to high ground and put together your camp, along with (3) signal fires and start collecting wood.  If you followed protocol and left a detailed description of where you would be and when you would be back, you already know when and where they will look for you.  Your job is to make it easy for them to find you.

I would build a debris shelter and use the trash bag to help waterproofing of the shelter, or if I didn't have the time to build a shelter, I would use the bag to keep me dry through the rain and build the shelter afterwards.

If you

The idea behind this thread is what would you do if you had to make a decision, and what would others think is a better decision...let me start it off:

4. Assume (ok, for the sake of the discussion) that you can only make a fire with your matches or lighter

My first thought would be to use up the matches because over time, there is a chance that they could get wet or become useless, since the lighter is more rugged, I would use up the matches and save the lighter. Does that make sense?

I'd sit still and light a tree on fire, then sit and wait for the forest service to come write me a ticket and haul me out of the woods to jail. One problem solved, another just begun.

Coty