WildSurvive Forum
SURVIVOR GUY

Woodsman from Virginia builds cabin

I did get a little off track there didnt I LOL

Sometimes the fingers move before the brain does........

EXCELENT post, thanks alot..........

You do bring up a very good point as well......... While this may be my dream, and my sons FOR NOW, he may come to find as he grows older, that his path leads him to a different place. As parents all we can really do is guide them as best we can down the path that we know, but alow them to see that there are other paths out there that are theirs to follow..............and to make sure that no matter what path they choose, the only one who can say if its right or wrong, is themselves.

Thanks again for the great comments.

Beautifully said.

I have my moments every now and then LOL

More than a few, silly man!  At least, that's what Jessica Biel told me just the other day... :grin:

Dont wait till you break that blade before you get a new one. :thumbup:

I saw that saw used by anthony when we were trainin with bow last weekend. I was pretty impressed. powerfull tool and pretty darn light.

When I was watching Alone in the wilderness last night (TIVO) I noticed that Dick Proenneke fell his trees the previous fall to let them dry before using them to make his cabin, Woodsman, is that your plan? What are the pros and cons of not waiting for the trees to dry?

I also noticed that when he was making his notches he only cut the underside of the tree saying that it prevented water from pooling inside the cut when the cabin was done.

Do you have any drawings of your finished cabin?

Ok, so I'm getting excited, thanks Woodsman!!! :)

Hummm Ill have to get myself one. :hugegrin:

Swede, can you give me the details on that saw!!! Can I buy it online? Where did you get it? That's ideal to strap into my camelbak for trail maintenance! Woodsy had a pick where it breaks down into ONE pole, man I need one!

Check out the pictures on our new website. I'm in the blue/yellow/black jersey. With the wet snow we had this year there were trees down all over the place. The USFS claim they don't have any money to maintain the trails and were about to close them, so then we organized!!! All the work is volunteer and/or donated. We do everything from clean the bathrooms, empty the garbage cans and completely maintain hundreds of miles of trails. So, as you can see, having a saw like that to maintain trail safety would be ideal!

GO TEAM!

http://friendsofforesthillohvtrails.org/Pictures.html

When I was watching Alone in the wilderness last night (TIVO) I noticed that Dick Proenneke fell his trees the previous fall to let them dry before using them to make his cabin, Woodsman, is that your plan? What are the pros and cons of not waiting for the trees to dry?

Well if you dont let the trees dry out they will be MUCH heavier for one, and if you use green wood it will eventually shrink as it dries and create further problems down the road. I plan to dry these for 6 months to a year before I start construction which will also alow me time to get the site completely cleared as well as leveled.

No no drawings........its all in my head.

I will be putting in a wood stove, there is no rock around here to use and buying it and trucking it in would be WAAAAAAY more work than just hummpin in a woodstove.

Woodsman, what do you do with the trees while they're drying out?  Do you lean them in a tipi style stack or will they dry out without rotting if you leave them on the ground?

Woodsman, what do you do with the trees while they're drying out?  Do you lean them in a tipi style stack or will they dry out without rotting if you leave them on the ground?

In one of the pics on the first page you will see a stack of logs.......these are laid across other logs to get them up off the ground.

LOL I got woken up by a herd of deer last night goin by about 10-15ft away.........looked over at him and his face was square in the dirt LOL......I rolled him over and he had sticks,leaves, n dirt all over his face......was too tired to get up and get a pic of that though...........mabey tonight if he does it again.

LOLOL!!!  Oh, poor Collin!  LOL!!!  He's going to kill you if you show any of those pictures to any of his girlfriends when he gets older...

Next time take something to put on that poor kids feet so he can take those boots off. Jeese :nono: