WildSurvive Forum
Woodsman

Inspirational Quotes

"A man who reads books lives a thousand lives.  One who does not, lives and dies but a single life."  George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire Set: A Game of Thrones / A Dance With Dragons

:thumbup I LOVE books

"It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it’s still here.

So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, the lovely, mysterious, and awesome space.

Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much; I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those desk-bound men and women with their hearts in a safe deposit box, and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this; You will outlive the bastards."

Edward Abbey

“I thought how lovely and how strange a river is. A river is a river, always there, and yet the water flowing through it is never the same water and is never still. It’s always changing and is always on the move.

And over time the river itself changes too. It widens and deepens as it rubs and scours, gnaws and kneads, eats and bores its way through the land. Even the greatest rivers- the Nile and the Ganges, the Yangtze and he Mississippi, the Amazon and the great grey-green greasy Limpopo all set about with fever trees-must have been no more than trickles and flickering streams before they grew into mighty rivers.

Are people like that? I wondered. Am I like that? Always me, like the river itself, always flowing but always different, like the water flowing in the river, sometimes walking steadily along andante, sometimes surging over rapids furioso, sometimes meandering wit hardly any visible movement tranquilo, lento, ppp pianissimo, sometimes gurgling giacoso with pleasure, sometimes sparkling brillante in the sun, sometimes lacrimoso, sometimes appassionato, sometimes misterioso, sometimes pesante, sometimes legato, sometimes staccato, sometimes sospirando, sometimes vivace, and always, I hope, amoroso. Do I change like a river, widening and deepening, eddying back on myself sometimes, bursting my banks sometimes when there’s too much water, too much life in me, and sometimes dried up from lack of rain? Will the I that is me grow and widen and deepen? Or will I stagnate and become an arid riverbed? Will I allow people to dam me up and confine me to wall so that I flow only where they want? Will I allow them to turn me into a canal to use for they own purposes? Or will I make sure I flow freely, coursing my way through the land and ploughing a valley of my own?” ― Aidan Chambers

There are men who, on finding themselves alone in a pathless forest, become appalled, almost panic stricken. The vastness of an unbroken wilderness subdues them and they quail before the relentless, untamed forces of nature. These are the men who grow enthusiastic—at home—about sylvan life, outdoor sports, but always strike camp and come home rather sooner than they intended.

And there be some who plunge into an unbroken forest with a feeling of fresh, free, invigorating delight, as they might dash into a crisp ocean surf on a hot day. These know that nature is stern, hard, immovable and terrible in unrelenting cruelty.

When wintry winds are out and the mercury far below zero, she will allow her most ardent lover to freeze on her snowy breast without waving a leaf in pity, or offering him a match; and scores of her devotees may starve to death in as many different languages before she will offer a loaf of bread. She does not deal in matches and loaves; rather in thunderbolts and granite mountains. And the ashes of her campfires bury proud cities. But, like all tyrants, she yields to force and gives the more, the more she is beaten. She may starve or freeze the poet, the scholar, the scientist; all the same, she has in store food, fuel and shelter, which the skillful, self-reliant woodsman can wring from her savage hand with axe and rifle.

Only to him whose coat of rags Has pressed at night her regal feet, Shall come the secrets, strange and sweet, Of century pines and beetling crags.

For him the goddess shall unlock The golden secrets which have lain Ten thousand years, through frost and rain, Deep in the bosom of the rock.

- Nessmuk

Perspective is important.

"What I know could fill a thimble, what I want to know could fill an ocean, what is available to know fills the universe". ~Doc

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment  BUDDHA

Excellent quotes below. well done, everyone!  A few from Yeats:

William Butler Yeats

You that would judge me, do not judge alone this book or that, come to this hallowed place where my friends' portraits hang and look thereon; Ireland's history in their lineaments trace; think where man's glory most begins and ends and say my glory was I had such friends.

Nurk note:  For the one above I wanted to include all of it for original context, but the important part of the quote for me is:  "My glory was that I had such friends."

_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_

The light of lights looks always on the motive, not the deed, the shadow of shadows on the deed alone.

_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_

When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep.

_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_

The years like great black oxen tread the world,

and God,

the herdsman,

goads them on behind,

and I am broken by their passing feet.

_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_

Accursed who brings to light of day the writings I have cast away.

_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_/~\_

I know that I shall meet my fate somewhere among the clouds above; those that I fight I do not hate, those that I guard I do not love.

We spend the first half of our lives trying to kill our selves and the second half trying to stay alive.  Me

We spend the first half of our lives trying to kill our selves and the second half trying to stay alive.  Me

Sounds about right, Swede.

"Until now, I hadn't truly understood the world's vastness - hadn't even understood how vast a mile could be - until each mile was beheld at walking speed. "  Cheryl Strayed - Wild

I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.

Stephen Hawking

one of the best books I have read did you finish it  :) I got the book and movie for my b day :hugegrin:

Saw the movie first, then read the book. I thought both were very well. As usual, a lot more stuff in the book than the movie, but I enjoyed both.

I don't think I have ever started reading a book and not finish it.  As well, I don't think it appropriate to comment on a book or article unless I have read the entire thing.

Now and again, it is necessary to seclude yourself among the deep mountains and hidden valleys to restore your link to the source of life.

Breathe in and let yourself soar to the ends of the universe; breathe out and bring the cosmos back inside. 

Next, breathe up all the fecundity and vibrancy of the earth. 

Finally, blend the breath of heaven and the breath of earth with that of your own, becoming the Breath of Life itself.

The Art of Peace - Morihei Ueshiba

Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire.  The reality of your own nature should determine speed.  If you become restless, you speed up. If you become winded, you slow down.  You climb the mountian in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion.  Then, when you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to an end but a unique event in itself.  This leaf has jagged edges. This rock looks loose. From this place the snow is less visible, even though closer.  These are the things you should notice anyway.  To live only for some future goal is shallow.  It's the sides of the mountian which sustain life, not the top.  Here's where things grow.  

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig