WildSurvive Forum
Gandar

Our New Tent - What do you think for family new to outdoors/survival?

Hey all,

Here is a link to our new tent.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=9277-907&categoryid=11020

We got this along with two 20 Degree sleeping bags that adjust to 30 Degree bags without the head piece.  Since we're in Florida and plan somewhat to stay out of the negative degree weather we didn't want a super cold weather tent.

Think this is a good one?

Let us know your thoughts.

Gandar and Fam

It doesn't give a lot of information about materials used, type of floor, type of door, noseeum mesh, etc., but if it's typical with most other tents in it's class, then it should do just fine for you.  I assume that it comes with a good rainfly.  You'll need it and if not for rain, it will make an adequate windscreen and shade.  Get yourself some pads to sleep on, not air mattresses.

No we stick away from the air matresses.  We will go with our sleeping bags alone.  They are veru comfy SwissGear ones.

I've found Coleman gear to very good stuff and well worth the money you spend.  That tent should do you just fine for most florida weather.  The only thing that I see is the rainfly doesn't cover much of the tent.  It doesn't go down the sides far.  A rainfly that goes all the way to the ground allows rain to drain all the way ito the ground without touching the inner material where you might accidently touch the sides and get wet.  On the other hand a shorter rainfly allows for better air circulation in warm weather.

Thanks Dave for the ups and the downs.  Your guys' experience and sharing make it so very valuable.

Gandar and Fam

Very nice, Gandar!  I like how they guarantee you'll stay dry!  You'll need that around 3:00 pm every afternoon in summer when your 15 minute monsoon hits... :hugegrin:

It doesn't give a lot of information about materials used, type of floor, type of door, noseeum mesh, etc., but if it's typical with most other tents in it's class, then it should do just fine for you.  I assume that it comes with a good rainfly.  You'll need it and if not for rain, it will make an adequate windscreen and shade.  Get yourself some pads to sleep on, not air mattresses.

Hummm I must have missed something why not air mattress?

Gandar,

It is a nice tent, and will be plenty roomy for you. the biggest issue I can think of for you using it in the FL area is the "wing" design of the rainfly over the doorsway. I am not sure where in FL you are located, but on the west coast I have found that the wind can come up very quickly and be very strong. The overall design of the fly could turn it into a kite. So if this is planned to be used for general weekend outtings, it should do great. If you are planning for it to be a backup shelter in case you have to bug out, you might consider something with a lower profile to heavy winds.

Just an idea. :)

MrC

Hummm I must have missed something why not air mattress?

I want to know that too!  I LOVE my queen size velour air mattress.  I slept like a princess!  LOL!

It may not be such a big deal in florida (unless it suddenly gets cold there), but here our ground gets fairly cold to sleep on and the air mattress doesn't insulate, where pads like the self inflating pads by Thermarest and others, insulate very well.  The wife and I use RidgeRest pads, which are by Thermarest, but aren't self inflating.  They do a good job of insulating against the cold, but don't roll up as small, so we use the 3/4 length pads, which are easier to attach to a pack and take with us on foot, if necessary.

I agree about the pads but I also think since we're fairly new to outdoors and bringing not "too" much technology with us so we can really enjoy it for what it is that if we were to bring an air matress it would take away from the serenity of it all a little bit.

Just my opinion though,

Gandar

About the rain fly.  I agree completely that a good gust of wind would have half the tent up on it's back stakes in a second, but since this is more of a trial tent to see what we need for our BOB we figured it was a good design for $49.99.  Also, we bring a large tarp along with us so if the winds do kick up I will just throw the tarp over it all and stake it into the ground to aviod the wind as much as possible.

Good idea?

Gandar

Hmmmm.  Good idea about the insulation, RovingArcher.  I'll look for some of those pads next time I'm in REI. 

About the rain fly.  I agree completely that a good gust of wind would have half the tent up on it's back stakes in a second, but since this is more of a trial tent to see what we need for our BOB we figured it was a good design for $49.99.   Also, we bring a large tarp along with us so if the winds do kick up I will just throw the tarp over it all and stake it into the ground to aviod the wind as much as possible.

Good idea?

Gandar

Sure that would help a lot. You can't really beat the tent for the price. I think it will do fine for you.  The one biggest suggestion I can give ya on it, is reguardless of the manufactures claims about the waterproofing of the tent, spend the $5 and buy a seamsealing kit and seal them before you head out. It can make a HUGE difference. :)

Cheers!

MrC

Thanks Mrcofee. I have never done that before, is it difficult to waterproof your seams with a sealing kit?

Thanks again all and I will definately have pics up after we go out.

Gandar

I think that tent would be fine for Florida, although i think it would struggle in one of your thunder storms.

Its a good idea to get a bed pad of some description. A sleeping bag is compressed under the weight of your body and losses it thermal advantage, the ground will suck the heat out of you and you will have an uncomfortable night. Air beds are not much better because you body tries to heat up the air. In cold environments its bet to use the non inflating type of pad. The closed cell ones are the best as they are warmer and more durable and the biggest thing is they dont puncture. If you dont experience cold conditions get an self inflating pad.

Thanks Adi.  I looked at a Super Walmart today and they had insulating bedrolls for about $10 a piece.  I think I'll get one of those for the reasons you describe.

Gandar

Thanks Mrcofee. I have never done that before, is it difficult to waterproof your seams with a sealing kit?

Gandar

It's real easy to use seam sealer.  They are basically like a dabber for bingo cards.  Just wipe it on.  You can easily seal the coveage of the sealer as it dries.  Couple applications will do the trick easy. 

Some people also use neoprene tent pads, these are placed on the ground between the tent, they help to protect the tent from damage, provide a little more insulation and add a little more comfort. They are big and bulky and i feel its over kill (i do use a floor-less tent) but if your car coming then the added bulk does not really matter and probably worth the added advantages.

Tent pads are also used in very cold climates for the reasons above and to stop the tent from being frozen to the ground.

If you use seam seal even after dry it has a habit of sticking to its self so sprinkle some talc on it. If you find yourself slipping of your self-inflating bed mat a couple of dabs of seam seal on it will stop you from sliding off, no need for the talc this time though. I also use seam seal to patch up punctures in my mat.

Thanks Dave, I'll get some and try it out.

Thanks to you too Adi, I was thinking about a tarp below the tent for easy cleaning of the bottom but that gives us other options if we want to go that route.

Gandar

Gandar

Hey Gandar,

No Seamsealing a tent is as easy as pie! Most of the sealants I have seen and used are just a liquid in a roll on type container. You just shake it, and then roll it over the seams and let it dry for a few hours. While my tents are designed for extreme weather, I still seamseal them, and even in heavy driven rain, the seams stay dry on the inside.

Adi is right, the tent will struggle in a FL thunderstorm or very heavy winds. Be sure to have your tarp handy to make some sort of a wind break if you see heavy weather comming in.

Thanks Mrcoffee, I'll get a seam seal kit this week and will make sure my tarp is ALWAYS on hand.

Gandar