WildSurvive Forum
Holly

Urban Woman's Bug Out Bag

I spend 90% of my time in the city or suburbs of Charlotte, NC.  My car is rarely more than 1/4 of a mile from me at any given time.  Being right in the middle of "civilization", a person might not think he or she would need much.  However, as my husband and I have discussed, what happens if a huge disaster strikes and all roads become impassable?  What would we do?  How would we get home? :scared:  We came up with a plan that no matter what, I would head for our daughter's school and then we'd head for home, even if on foot.  My husband works 35 miles from home on the other side of a nuclear plant.  He may or may not make it home...

With that kind of scenario in mind, and with the help of several of Wild Survive's members' most excellent advice, I have put together two bug out bags and keep them in the trunk of my car in the event of an emergency.  I thought I'd share what's in my BoBs.  It looks and sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's good to have it, not knowing what kind of emergency we may face.  I'm sure we could manage on just a few of these items, but it makes me feel better to be as prepared as possible!  :thumbup:

If you can think of anything else that might be helpful, please post it!

Holly's Urban Bug Out Bags

Large Duffel Bag #1

$200.00 in small bills

$20.00 in change

Large LED flashlight

Smaller windup flashlight

Small axe

First Aid Kit (170 items)

Deep Woods Sportsmen OFF!

Sunscreen with High SPF

Firestarting materials (all kept together in a small zippered bag)

Fire starter sticks

A dozen boxes of wooden matches, doublebagged in Ziplocks

Waterproofed matches (dipped in fingernail polish)

Cottonballs saturated in Vaseline, doublebagged

Mag/Flint stick

Firesteel

Bic lighter

General Items (all kept together in another zippered bag)

Pocketknife

Diamond knife sharpener

Folding shovel

2 emergency blankets

5-inch fixed blade knife

Ultralight first aid kit

Leatherman Wave

Folding saw

Garbage bags

Paracord

Duct tape

Hot Hands handwarmers

Water purification tablets

8 ft x 10 ft tarp

Windup cell phone charger with LED flashlight and AM/FM radio

Candle lantern with extra candles

Extra "stuff" bag

Gum

Candy (this is a must-have!  :hugegrin:)

Trail Mix, raisins, peanut butter crackers, beef jerky, dried fruits (eat this stuff and replace it to keep it fresh)

Toiletries/Meds (all kept together in a zippered bag)

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Dental Floss

Lotion

Deodorant

Toilet paper

Hair bands

Comb

Razor

Soap

Washcloth

Handtowel

Moist Wipes

Nail file

Chapstick

Tampons

Sanitary Pads

Safety Pins

BC Powder

Tylenol

Ibuprofen

Sudafed

Benadryl

Prescription Meds for 1 week

Tin cup

Coffee pot

Cooking pot

Spoon

Tea bags

Sugar

Dry creamer

Splenda (gotta have my hot tea for comfort!)

Topographical maps

Compass and navigation book

Notebook and pen and pencil

Waist Pack (for Ashley to carry)

Day Pack with water bladder (to distribute gear for carrying)

Several bottles of water

Medium Duffel Bag #2

Rain pants

Rain coat

Waterproof hat

Gloves

Boots

Socks

Undies and bra

T-shirt

Long sleeve shirt

Jeans

Lightweight zippered hiking pants

Umbrella (okay, I hate to get wet!  :D)

I also keep a sleeping bag in the trunk and I think I'm going to get a small tent to throw in there too. 

I need a bigger vehicle...

Someone reminded me to throw a couple of wool blankets in the trunk of my car.  Good idea!  I think I can pick those up at the Army/Navy surplus store here in town.  OOooooo!!!  I wonder what other goodies I can get while I'm there!  :woot:

OOooooo!!!  I wonder what other goodies I can get while I'm there!  :woot:

LOL Holly has the bug, good girl

Guest HazeyWolf

That's an awesome BOB, Holly - great job!  How much does it all weigh?  Do you have a Bug-Out-Plan co-ordinated with your family?  Personally, I have a BOB that is designed to allow me to camp out for a short while in an extreme emergency, but I don't plan on utilizing my BOB as a "back-pack survivalist..." http://www.alphacgsn.com/warlord/prepinfo/backpackfever.htm

But in the event of a major emergency, I hope that I can meet my immediate needs and evacuate safely and securely on my own until I can find refuge and secure shelter with friends and family. 

Both of the bags together weigh about 70 lbs with the water.  The nice thing is, I can transfer gear into smaller bags if I need to.  Or, if Ashley is with me, we can divide it up and split the weight between us. 

I'm trying to be as self-sufficient as possible, without having to rely on friends and family, in case I can't get to them.  My main goal is to get Ashley.  Robbie agrees that should be my first priority.  My second priority is to get us to our house, if possible. 

If we can't get to our house, Robbie and Ashley and I know to try to get to my parents' house.  If we can't, then we're to hunker down as close to home as possible.  If the city is under siege or has been exposed to chemical or biological warfare, we'll just have to do the best we can and head west for the mountains.

Okay, here is a picture of the two bags I keep in my trunk.  I put the water bottle there to give you an idea of the size.  The larger bag is for my gear and the smaller bag is for clothing.

urbanwomansbugoutbag001yy9.jpg

I'm just going to post pics of the items in the larger gear bag because nobody cares to see my undies and socks and clothes!  :D

This is an overall view of ALL the stuff I have in the gear bag.  :hugegrin:

urbanwomansbugoutbag004yz8.jpg

Here is that same overall view, but broken down in three sections to get a little closer.

urbanwomansbugoutbag005wn4.jpg

urbanwomansbugoutbag006bb7.jpg

urbanwomansbugoutbag008sf4.jpg

Now, I'll show everything in a little more detail.  The Kershaw Outcast goes where I go.  :hugegrin:  I keep it by my bed at night, then put it in my bag during the day.  (Thank you for the wonderful birthday present, sweetheart!!!)   I keep the SAK in my purse or on my belt if I'm hiking.

urbanwomansbugoutbag013cf3.jpg

This is something else I don't leave home without.  I keep this PSK in the console of my car and when I go hiking, I put it in my pocket.  It has EVERYTHING in it!  :thumbsup:  One of our very caring forum members here sent this to me last year.  I think about this person's kindness every time I go hiking. :yes:

sbugoutbag046fj3.jpg

sbugoutbag047tm2.jpg

Okay, I LOVE "gadgets".  I saw this at REI and couldn't resist getting it.  It's so cute!

sbugoutbag016rr1.jpg

My windup LED flashlight (I bought 3 of them) and my Brinkmann LED flashlight.  I have a windup AM/FM Radio/Cell Phone Charger somewhere...

sbugoutbag020we2.jpg

Here's all my "girlie" stuff and meds which I keep in that zippered bag.  Women do NOT like to be sweaty and stinky!  :hugegrin:

sbugoutbag022ij5.jpg

Here are some items I keep all together in another zippered bag.  Don't you just love my folding saw my aunt Gail and uncle Hank gave me for Christmas?  :thumbsup:  And I love my little Ultralight First Aid Kit too. 

urbanwomansbugoutbag036ww5.jpg

Here are my maps and notepads and pencil/pen.  I keep these in a ziplock bag to keep them from getting wet.

sbugoutbag026oj1.jpg

Here's the FUN stuff! My zippered bag with all my firestarting items!  Whoo Hoo!  I use the pocketknife with the serrated edge for my mag/flint stick so I won't dull my best knives.  I love my Vaseline saturated cottonballs.  They catch fire in seconds!  And look at the adorable mag/flint stick that Rockhounder sent me that fits on my keychain.  Isn't it cute???

urbanwomansbugoutbag027yu3.jpg

And here's a pic of my keychain.  I try not to put too much heavy stuff on it because the weight swinging back and forth while driving will totally ruin a starter switch.  :blush:

I love my LED Pulsar light.  It's VERY bright.  I bought several of those and gave them to family and friends.

sbugoutbag044rf8.jpg

Okay, I'll admit it, there is no "real" food whatsoever here. :hugegrin:  It's all my favorite junk stuff to snack on!  LOL!!!  I need some help with what kinds of foods I should keep in my bag.  Maybe to last three days for three people.  Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

sbugoutbag034gv7.jpg

And then I put it all back into my gear bag to go back into the trunk of my car...

urbanwomansbugoutbagiz0.jpg

AND WHO SAYS WOMEN CAN'T PACK?  :cheers: :cigar: :clap: :punk:

I welcome any comments, observations, and suggestions.  I could not have gotten this far without the kind and caring input from Rockhounder, Lead Dog, Adrenjunky, and so many others here, too many to mention but always thought of with the greatest appreciation.  :kiss:

Holly, that's awesome. Thanks for the pics.  I will inspect more later and reply with more.

Gandar

:thumbsup:

That's awesome Holly! But, you know, if there is a major catastrophe altering civilization as we know it, we're all going to your house  :pray:. Oh, and I got first dibs on the beef jerky!!!

Very thorough too. You sleep with your knife!  :kiss: God help the poor soul breaking in YOUR house.

AND WHO SAYS WOMEN CAN'T PACK?   

I said that!! Apparently there is at least ONE exception!!  ;)

Holly - One observation: your folding saw is indeed "lovable". It is, however, what is know as a Dozuki. Yours happens be be a very nice folding version sold under the Lee Valley brand name (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=41736&cat=1,42884). I have one and use it all the time. This saw will cut firewood and such (with considerable effort), but they are intended for use in a woodworking shop for chores requiring accurate, thin cuts. The blade on this saw is quite thin and flexible and will not stand up to heavy "camp" use. You may want to look at replacing yours with something like a Gerber Exchange A Blade folding saw ( http://www.backcountry.com/store/GER0075/c3/s5/Gerber-Exchange-A-Blade-Saw-with-2-Blades.html?id=ya2kLYzG) that I also have and love.

Yippee!  That's the kind of feedback I need, BB.  :thumbup: Thank you SO much.  I can use the folding saw I already have for a musical instrument! :D

I said that!! aparently there is at least ONE exception!!  ;)

Holly - One observation: your folding saw is indeed "lovable". It is, however, what is know as a Dozuki. Yours happens be be a very nice folding version sold under the Lee Valley brand name (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=41736&cat=1,42884). I have one and use it all the time. This saw will cut firewood and such (with considerable effort), but they are intended for use in a woodworking shop for chores requiring accurate, thin cuts. The blade on this saw is quite thin and flexible and will not stand up to heavy "camp" use. You may want to look at replacing yours with something like a Gerber Exchange A Blade folding saw ( http://www.backcountry.com/store/GER0075/c3/s5/Gerber-Exchange-A-Blade-Saw-with-2-Blades.html?id=ya2kLYzG) that I also have and love.

I think I have a similar one Blue, it's a dozuki signed by Toshi Odate. We have friends from Yokohama who visit us annually and they brought me one as a gift one year. Very fine kerf and works great for jigless dovetailing. I wished I knew more about Japanese joinery, that is a fine art!

Good observation Blue.

Holly, I'll see about a good replacement :thumbup:

Guest taken by the wind...

~ Holly? I don't see a butane curling iron in that pic anywhere...  :unsure:

I am not sure what to say.....that is IMPRESSIVE.  I have a sak, chapstick, lighter, cell phone and usually a dollar.  :) 

Machine, once I get proficient in the woods, I won't need anything but a SAK, Chapstick, lighter, cell phone and a dollar to survive!   :thumbsup:  I'm looking forward to the day I can walk into the woods with just the clothes on my back and whatever I have in my pockets and "survive" quite comfortably!  :hugegrin:

Taken, I did pack my hairband and a comb.  I'm going "straight" now!  :D

It's not cause of my skills, Holly.......LOL!  I just haven't thought and prepared as much as you.  You are on the ball......I LOVE THAT KNIFE, by the way. 

Thanks, Machine, I love that knife too!  :thumbsup:

Oh, I forgot SUNSCREEN!!!  Gotta have sunscreen in your BoB! 

Now do you need over load springs for your car :rofl: :rofl: O K got that out of the way i don't see no coffee & coffee pot and or do you plan on a open fire to cook see no stove. plus some them noddles .I am working on my bob bag for the car but like i got a shed full of stoves having a hard time witch one. You see when the wife goes to get groceries i don't go in with her it saves money i would like to make a cup or 2 to have as i am waiting.Also i got so many pots billy can coffee pot etc having had time on them also picking out some to use. I think i got it narrow down i got a alcohol stove on a 3/4 oz. fuel can boil 18 oz. water but i take it off just as soon i can hear it also the pot that has the noddles been soaking they are ready to go as soon as hot water is done and i can do it all on 3/4 oz .fuel

I'll just make a small open fire when I need one.  I do have a pot and a mug and spoon I keep in my bag along with a lot of teabags and sugar and cream!  :thumbsup:  I like your idea about the noodles.  They are lightweight and easy to make.  And have LOTS of carbs for energy.

Oops!  :blush:  For those of you who live in really hot climates, when summer arrives, be sure to remove any of your emergency candy that is made of chocolate and substitute it for something that won't melt and run all over the place.  And the same with your candles... :whistle:

:thumbsup:

That's awesome Holly! But, you know, if there is a major catastrophe altering civilization as we know it, we're all going to your house  :pray:. Oh, and I got first dibs on the beef jerky!!!

Very thorough too. You sleep with your knife!  :kiss: God help the poor soul breaking in YOUR house.

Well um uhhh, i have a knife under my bed too lol. I live half a mile from a loonie ben though!